1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks' value at the Feb trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Let's assume for the moment that he is putting up 20 ppg/5 apg/3 rpg/1spg on shooting percentages of 50/40/80.

He's got either another year of rookie scale or his team has the right to match any offer coming his way, going into the CBA owner's lockout, so obviously ultimately his contract is going to be more limited than the current CBA.

What will his trade value be at the trade deadline based on him blowing up even more and the CBA getting set to expire and another year on his rookie scale deal probably?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In that case, nothing. The Rockets are most likely not trading him for anything that another team would reasonably offer. They are also most likely in the middle of a playoff/home court race, and won't be dumping him and screwing up the lineup for something that another team would reasonably offer.

3. AggieRocketsFan

Morey is going to let the market set his value, not ClutchFans.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

He's not worth anywhere close to how much people on here perceive him to be worth. If he improves on his assists totals then its another story, but scoring PG's arn't considered as highly as those that can defend, create, and score. Defending and creating are two areas where he needs to improve.....problem is that those two skills are either there or not, improving on them is difficult.

5. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Ridiculously idiotic. Aaron Brooks destroyed the Lakers in that playoff series and a few games after that. If we want to win a championship and get past the Lakers, we wont do it without Aaron Brooks. Simple as that. I dont give a crap about no plus +/- stats. Aaron Brooks was the MAIN reason the Rockets almost beat the Lakers, and MAIN reason the Rockets were a respectful team last year. How quickly people forget :rolleyes:

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I expected this, I'm not saying he's not good. He's just not as good as some value him. He did lead our team against the Lakers, but one series does not define a player. He has some areas that he's just not that good in, I just don't see him getting better in those areas either. Mind you he's one of my fav. players, I'm just trying to be objective in my opinion.

7. tmaculent

tmaculent Member

I believe Aaron Brooks will get more assist this year. I mean he had Ariza, Chuck, shane to pass it to most of the time. Now he has Yao, Kevin Martin, and a lot more capable offensive players to pass it to.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

if you don't think he's worth MLE to 8mil (which is the board consensus estimated worth) then you are crazy. Aaron Brooks is cold blooded and I'd give him 8mil/4yrs or 9mil/3yrs.... Just long enough to catch all his good years

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You have to consider the availability of good point guards, period. Yes, a complete pg is worth more than one who only scores, that's a given, but what if there arent any complete pgs available? That's going to increase Brooks' value over what it "should" be. If there aren't many scorers available, even at other positions, then it'll increase it even more. How much? Can't know this soon, but it could match where "some value him" at.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

His current value is somewhere between 5 million and 11 million.

Too many variables to predict what it will be then.

11. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

I really don't want him to get traded but anything morey does to make the team better,I'm all for it..

12. Raven

Raven Member

No team will give up much for him unless they think they can re-sign him, and every team is thinking about the next CBA, just like the Rockets are.

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

He is going to be traded before his contract expires, I think his value already up and any team would offer him 6-7 Millions a year which I don't think we will match it.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

20/5/3 at 50% shooting? YES PLEASE.

I would trade Brooks for whatever dude can put those numbers up.

15. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

If he's putting up those kind of numbers, then that means that he's shouldering the team, which in turn means something went south with our roster for him to have to shoulder it.

The only reason he came close to most those numbers last season was because he had to make up for the teams different deficiencies. Besides, we all know how far we went when his production was that high. There's no reason for him get those kinds of numbers with our current roster.

As for his value, with those numbers, he'd be another great player in a mediocre season. Now, if he was going around 14/8/3/2 at 45/40/85 with better D, he'd get paid. It means he's got people to distribute to and we're most probably winning and winning gets players $$$.

Another thing with valuation, he's worth whatever we can replace him with at the time should it come to that. No valuable replacement = paid more (I'm guessing 6-8), valuable replacement = traded or paid less (Lowry figures). There's also the upcoming CBA discussions to consider. Nobody knows for sure what those figures will be.

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Anymore you trade contracts in the NBA, not players. How can you get equal value for someone who is outperforming his current contract? Is the issue that we WON'T sign him for what he thinks he's worth?

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I am confident he is going to average 20 and be the second leading scorer on this team behind Martin. If he does not average 20, then we are having a phenomenal season with him, Martin, Scola, Yao, Miller, and Budinger all averaging double digits. But realistically, Brooks is going to be at 20 or possibly more.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

brooks is too streaky a shooter to ever shoot 50% from the field - never going to happen for him in the nba.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

a 1st round draft pick and a starter.

and he won't be avg. 20 ppg. no way. not with Yao and Martin on this team.

20. joesr

joesr Member

yup, and now we all feel that Lowry and Scola are a tad bit over paid, Im sure he didnt learn his lesson