1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Bosh or Chris Paul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao#1, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

There has been a lot of talk lately about the Houston Rockets putting together a package for Chris Bosh. Although, it makes a lot of sense, I pose the question of whether that is the right Chris to target.

Obviously, Bosh is ready to leave Toronto and it seems the Raptors know that. A sign and trade is likely which makes him much more likely to end up a Houston Rocket. However, we all know New Orleans is losing money. I wonder if they might consider trading Paul to us now considering what happened last season. Personally, I think its just a matter of time before Paul hints at wanting out if the Hornets cant stay among the elite teams in the West, which is going to be very hard for them to do.

As for reasons to trade Paul, first is Darren Collison. He played really well in Paul's absence. Of course he cant replace Paul, so thats where Aaron Brooks comes in. AB is clearly an up and coming PG. Even so, he wont command anywhere near what Paul makes when he signs his next contract. Any trade with NO will have to include AB, which gives them a very good PG duo at a much lower price.

Second, the Rockets have some significant expirings to save the Hornets some cash. Battier and Jeffries almost have to be involved, not to mention one or both of the NY picks. But most likely, those would have to be included in a Bosh sign and trade as well.

My guess is it would take some version of Brooks, Jeffries, Battier and two out of the following four picks (our first rounders in 2010 and 2011, and the Knicks first rounders 2011 and 2012.) for the Hornets to entertain it. My guess is something similar would be needed to get Bosh except you sub Scola in for Brooks. A third team or other filler may be needed to make the trade work but the salaries there are fairly close.

In the end, it mainly depends on your preference of a Paul/Lowry PG combo or a Bosh/Scola PF combo (assuming Yao can contribute and maybe we land Brad Miller). Not sure which one I prefer or if I even prefer either one to just keeping our team and seeing what Yao can do and what Morey can do with a lotto pick.

Any thoughts?

2. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Chris Paul, obviously.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

NOLA is not going to trade CP3. But it's a tough question, because even though CP3 is a better player than Bosh, is he better than Bosh + Brooks? I don't know about that one.

If you have to give up AB to get Bosh then obviously CP3 would be better. If you don't have to give up AB to get Bosh, I'd lean toward the Bosh deal

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Paul isnt available, Bosh is.

5. tested911

tested911 Member

How about a Scenario of...

If you go with Chris Paul you have to give up AB

or

If you go with Bosh you have to give up Scola

6. cxwcxw

cxwcxw Contributing Member

New Orleans won’t trade Paul. If they want to get rid of Okafor or Posey’s contract to get under the luxury tax line next year, they will trade either Collison or Thornton.

7. akiracy

akiracy Member

Paul is too ball dominant to fit in this system, not a great 3 pt shooter to spread the floor for Yao. Upgrade in talent but not in fit

8. Karolik

Karolik Member

Aaron Brooks straight up for Chris Paul....Super Star for Super Stars..its a fair deal!

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Much as I hate to admit it

You'd probably have to go with CP3.

Depends what else is included in each deal.

10. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

BOTH :grin:

11. tomjc

tomjc Member

ok ok....*breathes deep.... HOLD THE FORT....

Chris Paul took a Morris Peterson, Melvin Ely, Jannero Pargo, David West team to 56-26 record and took the Spurs to 7 in Western Conference semi finals

CHRIS BOSH has not done much in terms of playoff success and his team can't even get past the Chicago Bulls for the 8th seed this year.

Chris Paul is a HOF considerate , Chris Bosh is Kevin Garnett NOW.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Chris Paul is available (and i really don't think he is)
    If Chris Bosh wants to come to Houston.
    If Les is willing to spend the money.

The Rockets could have them both.

Aaron Brooks
    Jordan Hill
    Jared Jeffries
    Chuck Hayes
    14th Overall Pick

for

Chris Paul

Luis Scola
    Shane Battier
    Chase Budinger
    Knicks Picks

for

Chris Bosh

13. tomjc

tomjc Member

W-H-A-T?? ... that's like the whole team!

14. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

LMAOO... no -_-

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It is trading most of the team, but the celtics did that two years ago, how did it work out for them.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Generally speaking, the history of the NBA tells us that the best way to build a championship team is to combine an elite wing with an elite big man. Yes, there are exceptions but that has largely proven to be the most successful formula.

Chris Paul is one of my favorite players in the league and is probably a better PG than Bosh is a PF but I'd take the elite PF over the elite PG at the end of the day.

No matter how much they change the perimeter rules, I think that an elite wing + an elite big will always be the best way to distribute cap dollars.

Having said that, it would be awesome to get Chris Paul.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Paul is a better player than Bosh, and he would probably command a smaller salary for next season. Plus we already have Yao so Bosh is redundant. For those who think Paul can't play with Yao, he shot over 40% from 3 this season. He's an upgrade over Aaron Brooks in every area except shooting, and he's just as good as Brooks in that regard. He's a true superstar. I'd much rather have Paul than Bosh.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Paul is much better than Bosh, but we have nothing they want. Why would they take Brooks back in a package when that does nothing to solve their glut at PG?

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

So, starting lineup would be...

Paul
    Martin
    Ariza
    Bosh
    Yao

With absolutely no bench.

If it was a starters only league, then we would be dominate.

But seeing as how it isn't, this is not a good scenario.

20. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

This is the most ridiculous trade I've heard since the offseason started, and thats saying somethin. Thats half the team dude! Did you even make the money match?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.