1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Daryl Morey even care about being in Houston anymore?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JimmyJackson, May 28, 2011.

1. JimmyJackson

JimmyJackson Member

After listening to the Richard Justic podcast
    http://www.1560.tv/podcast/files/RJ 052711.mp3

I heard this quote and was extremely curious into what this means:

"Johnathen Feigan and I have this argument a lot about how long Darly is going to be there. Daryl has aspirations to be the next Les Alexander, a great investment banker and he wants to product Broadway shows. He has a lot going on in his brain. Part of it is that really is that he doesn't really feel like he needs this job."

Thoughts?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's just sidelinin' as a country GM. In fact, I'm pretty sure McHale is being groomed to take over for Morey once he moves on to investment banking, his real career.

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Yes, Daryl Morey cares about being in Houston.

He also enjoys your mother's erotic massages.

4. PeppermintCandy

I can see it now. Yao Ming the Musical.

5. Dei

Dei Member

>wants to be a great investment banker
    >produce Broadway shows

:confused:

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I thought that comment was strange, surprised no one picked up on that in the sticky thread.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

sounds fabulous.

8. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

im pretty sure i read an article somewhere Daryl dreamed of playing in the NBA. Upon realising he had no chance of makeing a college D2 bench, his next goal was to earn enough cash to buy an nba team.

Being an NBA GM = dream job for morey, lol at broadway musicals.

9. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I would've thought he'd be either a politician or janky car salesman

10. PeppermintCandy

Actually it's an interesting podcast interview with Justice.

Confirms Finch will be part of McHale's coaching staff.

Says McHale has good instinct on the offensive end, but Morey is pushing to add a defensive assistant in the mold of Thibodeau or Frank. Overall, it looks like Morey will have much more say regarding the coaching staff than before.

There was a disconnect between the FO and the coaching staff during the JVG and Adelman eras, but the relationship could improve with McHale. I guess it helps that the coaching staff will have Morey's guys on it.

McHale can really help the big men, especially Patterson. But it sounds like the organization is skeptical about Thabeet and Hill and their desire to improve. "It looks like a definite bust with Thabeet, and there's real cynicism about Jordan Hill." Hmm.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Translated, fewer jocks, more eggheads, preferably eggheads that have a gift for number crunching.

12. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I don't get the logic that the GM hand picking a coaching staff and NOT the head coach is good. For a GM who really isn't proven, Daryl Morey sure does have alot of egotistical demands. The trust you guys give this guy has gotten a little ridiculous

13. Raven

Raven Member

Demands? Are people forgetting this guy was hired specifically to do what he's doing? His job is to get more for less and provide information to the team and coaching staff that will help them win games, but Rick was unenthusiastic about playing the youngsters and slow to adapt to Morey's methods, and that's why he's gone.

1 person likes this.
  14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Just an opinion, Thabeet and Hill got the taste for big money, unless one thinks that $5M and $3M per year is chump change, and got lazy. The worst thing that can happen is if any of them or both have a breakout year, sign a relatively long extension with us, and revert to their laid back ways.

15. PeppermintCandy

It could be ego, or it could be Morey trying to strengthen whatever weaknesses he sees in McHale's coaching ability and correct some of the negatives he felt in his relationships with Adelman and JVG.

Will it work? I don't know, though I do wonder how much GMs have a say about assistant coaches in general. With experienced, established coaches, it sounds like close to none.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I think we can all agree that Thabeet is/will be a bust. I can still not believe we gave up Shane for him. I would have even taken old-ass Jeff Foster over Thabeet.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

You can't really put too much stock in such speculations, especially with young players. Thabeet and Hill may be just lazy, or they might be frustrated that they're not picking up the NBA game. Similar to how a kid may give up school because he can't understand the teacher.

Even with lazy players, get them the right mentoring and environment and they can still prosper. Clutchfans favorite Morey-mistake, DeAndre Jordan, basically had no drive until he became friends with Blake Griffin. Then he started to work on his game and improve himself. Zach Randolph loafed around in NY doing nothing, and then rejuvenated himself in Memphis. He played well even last year, which was not a contract year.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Richard Justice is the Bob Woodward of Houston sports media, he pretends to get inside the head of people and just starts making up stuff as if he knows what they are thinking and what motivates them. It has no basis in reality, total hearsay and not journalism.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I read that too. Morey's life goal is to own a team.

20. vick

vick Member

I hope hes better in investment banking, than he is at being a GM