1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meyers Leonard Future Rocket?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets11champs, May 2, 2012.

1. rockets11champs

This kid is unbelievable the amount of hardships which have occurred throughout his life time, and be able to play basketball. I believe Meyers has the character and work ethic to be the next franchise center just watching this video and highlight clips, and seeing his potential. I see he is very raw right now and he has few weaknesses. i believe meyers can turn out with time to be like Yao 2.0 (less injury prone knock on wood)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFh9DJJpPM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7K2aYpoKI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LWNpaPEw6o

2. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Personally, I think he has more upside than Zeller, or any of the Zellers for that matter. However, he could very well turn out to be a bust as his motor and mental fragility have been called into question before. He's definitely had a lot to deal with growing up and in a way it parallels Perry Jones's upbringing, but it's one of those high risk and high reward situations. Lets just hope he doesn't turn out to be the next Robert Swift.

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He's my top center in the draft. Not sure if he has star potential, but I really like him!

4. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

many scouts are saying that he is really RAW, and not ready for the NBA just yet( and right now has huge bust potential)

But i think we should draft him as well, cant have too many 7 footers( plus McHale can help him)

5. MONON

MONON Member

Agreed 100%!!!

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yao comparison is just bad. Yao was oozing with basketball skills even back when he was a scrawny kid in the 2000 Olympics. Yao's problem was not enough strength training. Leonard's problem is not enough basketball skills. The former is way, way easier to remedy than the latter. Hence why Yao was a #1 pick despite his issues, and Leonard is falling to the bottom half of the 1st round.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Don't sleep on Leonard bro. Size rises during pre-draft workouts. Fast! With his size and athleticism he'll be a perfect fit for us. I really like this guy's potential.

8. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Can't be worst then "No hands Thabeet"!

9. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

if we draft leonard and zeller, one of them is bound to be a decent player, right??!! right??????!!?!

10. prs325

prs325 Member

He is like Joel Pryzbilla with passing skills.

11. thething

thething Contributing Member

Yeah, let's be like Seattle and draft a center every year for three years.

One out of Swift, Petro, and Sene has got to be good, right?

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Houston Rockets.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#12 Carl Herrera, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Leonard is a possibility...just take a look at those colloge games that DM watched and tweeted...just like last year, he was at the Kansas game..and we got MMorris..

14. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

Bust. I have said it here before and I will say it again. Bust. Kid is raw and a mental midget. He will get tossed around and be a 11th or 12th guy for a few years. Watched almost all of his games in college. Nothing special against Big Ten talent.....will get eaten alive in the NBA.

Mark it......

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If we cant package the 2 picks to move up in the draft I woulndt mind drafting him with the 16th pick in 3-4 years this guy will be a decent center, at the very least he will be 7ft backup center.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

At first i wanted them to go after Leonard until i realized that we have a player in Donatas who is like Leonard and Zeller coming in next season already. Rebounders and scorers that don't play defense well. I think we should look to add a player who is going to be a good rim protector Fab) to put next to Donatas in the line-up.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I can somewhat see the comparison to Zeller, but Donatas and Leonard are nothing a like imo.

However, if you want rim protection I think its best to go with John Henson, his shotblocking will tranlate to the NBA from day one IMO. Not to mention, the guy whose best suited to teach Henson, given their similar situation coming out of the draft, is Marcus Camby. Who we'll have for another 3-4 yrs, giving us enough time to develop Henson into a good quality starting C.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I like the idea of getting Leonard + Rivers in this draft if we stay put at our spots.

Dragic/ Lowry
    Lee/ Martin/ Rivers
    Parsons/Buddinger/ Morris
    Scola/ Pat/ Donatus
    Camby / Leonard

That + a package of Lowry/Martin/Patterson being offered in a trade makes our future very bright.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Obviously you are just watching youtube videos of the guy and you didnt actually watch a whole lot of Illinois games this year. Thats the problem with armchair GM's like the ones on this board.

Illinois was one of the biggest dissapointment of this year in the NCAA, and Leonard was a big part of that. Dispite his size, he had major trouble around the rim and protecting the paint.

I would draft him as a late 1st round pick for size alone. I know he's going to be close to the lottery, but he shouldnt be going that early.

He needs a ton of work, and he's a major gamble because he lacks the ability to truely dominate the paint defensively given his size, and he doesn't quite have the skill level to find another niche in the NBA. He got outrebounded consistently in the NCAA.

This guy is going to ride the pine for a couple of years in the NBA I can almost guarantee it. He might turn out to be a rotation center eventually but it wont be with the team that drafts him. At the 14th or even 16th pick there are better bets in this draft.

I would take Tyler Z. from NC if he's available at this spot any day of the week because he has the skill level to do other things well if he's outsized and outmanned in the paint. He's not quite Pau Gasol as far as skill goes, but he's a poor, or even broke man's version of him. He's a much better bet if he's available around where the Rockets are drafting.