1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slow Start for the Washington Wizards

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shaud, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

Looked at the Standings and I just realized they were 2-7. So much for me saying they would get the 4th spot in the East. I understand Jamison is hurt but I thought they would be much better than they are so far.

Are people still as high on them? Of course they will be better when Jamison gets back but how much better?

2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I'm surprised by their slow start as well, but I truly believe the return of Jamison will boost the team's abilities exponentially. So I don't think you need to retract your prediction just quite yet.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gilbert Arenas looks like crap...Could be part of it...

Mike Miller on the other hand, is a stud.

4. number22

number22 Member

they've been playing terrible. and injuries have kicked their but early on. miller, foye, jamison.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Injuries and they're crappy too. I still have hope for them, mainly because I have money on them winning more than 41.5 games, but I'm worried as hell.
    They freakin signed Earl Boykins because they were so thin due to injury.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Earl Boykins is good, though.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I didn't realize Arenas' career FG% was only 42.6%. His career 3P% is 36%. Rafer's is 35.5%. Then again, Rafer really is a decent 3pt shooter. It was everything inside the arc that killed him.

I also noticed Arenas had 12 TOs the other night. That's pretty bad.

8. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

yeah i didnt understand how they were gonna get better either. they've been just about the same team for awhile now and really haven't progressed much since then.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You got that right. Every time Rafer took that teardrop shot at the rim, a la Tony Parker (who actually makes them), I died a thousand deaths.

You'd think one of the coaches would have stopped him from trying this but I read a quote from JVG one time which referred to someone getting the rebound if he misses and being in position to get a higher-percentage shot or something lame like that. In other words, Rafer won't listen to us and stop trying the shot, but at least we might get the board and the putback.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wow Mike Miller's really tearin' it up this season. 58% FG and 58% from the three? Amazing. How about we get him next season? Or maybe they'd take Battier for him straight up right now...

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeesh, it's been hard to watch. Arenas got off to a good start, but he's already exhausted. In almost the games his second-half production significantly drops, he settles for jacking up threes, makes lazy passes, etc. He had 12 Turnovers against the Heat, which is a franchise record.

Arenas and Butler's inefficiency on offense is really the main reason for the bad start, because other players like Haywood and Blatche are actually overachieving. Arenas you kind of expect would be shaking off some rust, but I don't know why Butler's only shooting 39% overall and 17% from three.

Of course they've been without Jamison the entire season and Foye and Miller have also missed games (Foye is still out). I think things will change when Jamison gets back in the lineup...he gets a lot of easier buckets through his scrapiness. Would be nice to see at least one game where they have full participation from Arenas, Butler, Jamison, Foye, and Miller, but I'm not holding my breath.

The two teams I root for are the most injury-prone in the league. :(

#11 DCkid, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

They'll get better, jamison is one of the most consistent players in the NBA and butler and Arenas will roll out of their slumps.

13. Asian Sensation

Gilbert Arenas is so overrated it's not even funny. His decision making skills are non-existent. I think he had like 12 TO's a couple games ago. Combine that with Jamison being out and Mike Miller missing a few games and there's your slow start.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Blow it up!

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

People were either on this wagon 2 years ago, or they'll forever defend his superstardom. There seems to be no middle ground on the guy. But I have had similar thoughts on him for a lonnnng time

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Well they've looked good in tonights game vs the Cavs as the Big 3 are now back and little Earl is giving them some bench help. I think they'll be fine and will still get in the playoffs(5-8th seed).