1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Washington Wizards hire Flip Saunders

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Honey Bear, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...=ys-saunderswizards041309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The "best case" scenario for the Wizards is looking more and more like a reality:

1. Hire reputable coach who can maximize offensive firepower
    2. Arenas returns healthy
    3. Get #1 pick, draft Blake Griffin
    4. Jamison and Butler continue to play consistently
    5. Increase of competition in East forces them to commit defensively

They'll be an interesting team to watch next season.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's a great choice. Flip Saunders is a quality coach.

3. Egghead

Egghead Member

i can see the wizards being a contender to win the east next year, IF everyone is healthy and they draft Griffin or Harden.

But that's a big IF, when it comes to health, with the Wiz

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Assuming they get the #1, that is. They could just as easily end up drafting Thabeet, whom I highly suspect will bust.

The biggest thing they have to do is get a real point guard, move Arenas to the 2, and learn what team offense is.

Unfortunately, Flip is such a softie that chances of that are tiny.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think it will work for that unit though. They could use a players coach (softie), add/retain as much talent as possible, pray for health, and cross their fingers.

7. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Players like Arenas and Jamison aren't system players and Butler is a very strong isolation player so it bodes well for them. They just need defensive discipline.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The biggest problem is Wizards have been contract happy with all their players. The deal they gave to Jamison and Arenas ensures they will be stuck with them for a long while.

The talent is there and the coach is there. The question is, is the chemistry there?

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Great pick up for the Wizards. This is the type of coach they need for the players they have on their team. Solid coach, I think this is a great road ahead for the Wizards after having a tough season.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not sure this is the great hire everyone says it is. Flip is an OK coach. Maybe the players on this Wizards team are a perfect match for him and everything works out great. We will see.

They could have done a lot worse. Any capable coach should be able to win 45+ games if they don't have injury problems.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I love the signing! Sometimes I wonder how anyone would want the job, so getting someone with the Flip Saunder's resume is a surprise.

Just went to the Wizards game last night, and the outcome was exactly what I hoped for. Good, hard-fought game with the Wizards losing in the closing seconds after a Chris Bosh three. Thus, maintaining their tie for 2nd worst with the Clippers! :)

Tonight the Wizards play the Celtics at Boston and the Clippers play Oklahoma City at LA. The Wizards obviously are more likely to lose, but I bet that LA/OKC game will be pretty funny. It'll be interesting to see the steps LA takes to ensure they lose the game.

Anyway, back to the the Wizards team. It's not just Arenas that's coming back. Haywood should also be back next year, which is huge for a team that has virtually no other low post presence. Obviously Haywood's contributions are more on defense, which is the Wizards greatest weakness. In last night's game he got 4 blocks and changed a handful of others. I'm not a huge Haywood fan, but his contributions on defense were pretty important to the team the past few seasons, and without him this year it's been pretty much open season for big men against the Wizards.

Would also be nice if DeShawn Stevenson could come back strong next year. He's been out most of the year as well.

#11 DCkid, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  12. DCkid

BTW, being a part-time Wizards fan brings back memories of Clutch's "Lottery Race" coverage of the Rockets during the Francis years.

For those who weren't around then, it reads like this:

Wizards Stay in Hunt for Second to Last

And the Wizards came through when it counted last night! Breaking down in the final few minutes to pull off the L.

With the clock winding down and an unfortunate two point lead, Wizards Interim Coach, Ed Tapscott called a timeout. Tapscott quickly called for an "everyone-in-the-paint" defensive set that would ensure the Raptors get a clean look at a three, and avoid the risk of going to overtime. The Wizards executed the set to perfection, giving Chris Bosh multiple seconds to set up, square his feet and deliver the gratifying blow that just may have saved the Wizards lottery bound season.

"I’m just hoping we can have a repeat performance in Boston tomorrow" said starting guard Caron Butler. "We're going to make sure to not focus on the game and keep our eyes on the Clippers score."

Antawn Jamison added, "We're just hoping and praying the Clips have a slip-up tomorrow against Oklahoma City and get the win. I mean, it'll be tough for them though. The Thunder are a pretty bad team already and the game is at LA, so I think the Clips definitely have some obstacles to overcome on the path to defeat. I like our chances"

[​IMG]

#12 DCkid, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

great hire, it'd be nice to see the Wiz get out of the tank

14. DCkid

Continuing the Lottery Race, it looks like the Clippers left nothing to chance last night. They let the Thunder score 126 points and lost by 40! I think this means the Clippers and Wizards will have an equal percentage chance of ping pong combinations, but a coin will be flipped in advance to determine who gets the lower pick in case neither make it in the top 3.

I want Griffin. But knowing the Wizards I wouldn't be surprised if they trade the pick for a Veteran on the downside of his career.