1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans can escape Schaub's contract after this year

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by KDJ3, Sep 30, 2013.

1. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Didn't want to sort through all the Schaub threads.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/texans-can-escape-schaubs-contract-after-the-season/

2. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

T.J. Yates and Keenum are not the answer, need to the draft for a qb... draft will be loaded with qb's next year

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Just to refresh:
    1. I was against acquiring Schaub in the first place; didn't care for his demeanor, and was relatively unproven as a starter.
    2. Wasn't excited about hiring Kubiak; no head coaching experience
    3. Was against extending Schaub, before he proved he could come back from a foot injury; unwise in so many ways.
    4. Kubiak did not deserve his first extension, it was like McNair rubbing the fans nose it it. The second was more deserved, but another bad decision.
    5. If the Texans dump Schaub now they will take a huge financial hit, end of the season sounds right, especially if the team has a losing record and doesn't make the playoffs.
    6. Give Case a chance, Yates is Schuab, version 2.0
    7. Dump Kubiak as long as Wade is not moved over; we need a proven coach like Cowert or Gruden.

I doubt much or any of this will happen, but it should.

4. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I'll take Taj Boyd. Got the chemistry with Hopkins

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, no, no. We have no thoughts of terminating Matt Schaub's contract. He's still a very good QB for us. We believe in him. - Future words from Bob McNair

6. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Agree with your takes as to how we move forward.

Definitely should bench Schaub and see what you've got out of the two young guys. If one of them shows promise, great, if not then you'll be set with high enough draft pick to snag a good QB in next years loaded draft. Cut ties with #8 in the off-season to reduce further damage to our cap number, and make major changes to the coaching staff.

The entire offensive staff should be gone. I'm fine with Wade as our d-coordinator, but by no means do I want him to be promoted to HC. I'm not completely sold on going with a vet HC. There are some very intriguing college HC's I'd like to see given a try, as well as some young coordinators in the league.

David Shaw, Sumlin, and Bill O'Brien come to mind in the college ranks. Shaw would be my main choice.

As far as coordinators, I would throw in Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, Vic Fangio, Pete Carmichael, Winston Moss, and Josh McDaniels.

Along with those moves, I'd dedicate an entire youth movement on the O-line (Center and LG, Demote Newton) and bolster it with quality picks, instead of the quantity as of late. Draft a ILB, and a ton of DB's.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

If McNair "extends" Schaub will fans "just take it?" I don't think so, that would be going too far.

8. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

the thing is. it would be kubiaks call to bench schaub. he will not do it.

9. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I think it's POSSIBLE if it were to save his job.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gary's job isn't in danger. Neither is Schaub's. That's the way it is.

11. basketballholic

Johnny Football

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's the way it should be. I'm not on the Schaub bandwagon, but starting Keenum or Yates against the 9ers defense isn't exactly the best of ideas either.

And there really is no reason in firing a coach because of a 2-2 start. The whole league would laugh at us if we did so. It would be the most desperate, panicky move a owner could make.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Heh. There's a waiting list for season tickets. Unlikely that changes.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, yeah, there's never a "good time" to replace the starting QB.

I don't think there are many calling for Kubiak to be fired right now, this second, the day after. (Even though many think he isn't a very good coach, myself included.)

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Does anyone remember that Jerome Solomon article, where he threw in everyone's face how he was right about the Texans being closer to contending than the Rockets.....

I'd like to throw that crappy self **** s***ing piece back in his face right about now.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This season is starting to feel eerily similar to 2010 already. Except this time we are great on defense and the offense is laying eggs, but nonetheless we are losing in spectacular fashion. I hope they turn it around and don't waste the talent that we have, but...

...say we lose to SF, KC, and then Indy after the bye. And Schaub continues poor play. That has to be the point that they plug in TJ or Keenum and see what they can do, right?

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

So we should root for our team to lose in order to make stubborn Kubiak or McNair realize we have a major problem? :(

Honestly, I have no confidence of even reaching the AFC Championship round. I do not see the problem with plugging in TJ or Keenum. Pretty much "tanking" for the high draft pick. This season is a wash at this point.

We have aging players like Andre and Antonio Smith, and I feel like we are wasting away their careers.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Did he write that before or after we got Howard?

I wouldn't say it's not true. You don't have to be the best team in the NFL to win - a lot of luck and getting hot is involved. Ei: Giants and Ravens

In the NBA, the Heat pretty much have a monopoly going on right now. Same is true for most championship teams - the best dynasty keeps on winning the majority of the time

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It definitely was pre-Howard but for him to literally masturbate himself to his own prediction is pretty off-putting.

I felt like even then we'd have a better chance at becoming contenders than the Texans, we still had questions at QB, 2nd WR, and coaching staff which are 2 of 3 big ingredients in what it takes to build a championship.

Now it's just coming to light even more while our QB is floundering and our coaching staff is looking like s**t after all the mistakes being made, especially on offense. Like others I didn't feel Kubiak had what it took to take us to the SB and neither did Schaub but they're still Texans.

Just like Lin and the Rockets you root for your team not just one specific player.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Move on!

[rQUOTEr]The Texans have been criticized a lot recently for the four-year extension they gave Schaub last year on the eve of the 2012 season opener that totaled $69.7 million. Here's what I found while examining his contract:

The deal averages $15.5 million per year, with a $17.5 million signing bonus. It guarantees Schaub's base salary of $7.25 million this year. Between the signing bonus, this year's base, last year's base and a few workout bonuses, the Texans will have paid Schaub about $29.7 million of that contract by the end of this season.

If they decide Schaub isn't part of their future, they don't have to pay him one cent more. Schaub's 2014, 2015 and 2016 bases aren't guaranteed and in each of those seasons he has a roster bonus that pays him $1 million total if he's active for 16 games. That's $40 million the Texans would not be on the hook for if they didn't want to be.

Whether they will or not will depend on how Schaub plays the rest of this season. As I've been writing, I don't see his performances so far as evidence that the Texans should move on from him.[/rQUOTEr]