1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roanoke's James Thomas named NBDL Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

http://www.texassports.com/index.ph...e_id=1184&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

GREENVILLE, S.C. - Roanoke Dazzle forward James Thomas has been selected by a unanimous vote of the league's head coaches as the National Basketball Development League's 2004-05 Rookie of the Year.

A second-round selection (8th overall) in the 2004 NBDL Draft, the University of Texas ('04) product leads the NBA Development League in rebounds per game (13.0) and defensive rebounds per game (8.3).

Thomas not only leads the league with 20 double-doubles, but is also the only player in the NBDL to average a double-double. His 12.3 points per game is 15th in the league, while he is fourth in the NBDL in minutes played (34.9) and field goal percentage at .542 (149-275).

“From the first day James came to Roanoke and into the NBDL he had his mind made up that he was going to be the best rebounder in this league,” Dazzle head coach Kent Davison said. “With that kind of attitude and his approach to playing the game, he distinguished himself as one of the top players in the league and also earned a chance to be called up to the NBA.”

Thomas was signed to consecutive 10-day contracts by the Portland Trail Blazers in January and to another 10-day contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers in February. He played in nine games (two starts) for the Trail Blazers, averaging 12.4 minutes, 2.7 points and 3.9 rebounds per game. He grabbed 15 rebounds against Cleveland on January 19.

“With so many great young players in our league it is difficult to single out just one for Rookie of the Year, but James is a deserving winner,” NBDL director of basketball operations Chris Alpert said. “He has worked extremely hard, is a great ambassador for our league and has really developed into a leadership role for his team even though he is a rookie.”

Thomas joins Desmond Penigar (Asheville, '04), Devin Brown (Fayetteville, '03) and Fred House (Charleston, '02) as winners of the NBDL Rookie of the Year Award.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I hope the Rockets bring in Thomas this summer for workouts or summer league play. I know we will most likely pick up a PF in the draft, but I would really like to see the Rockets give him a shot.

I was able to watch Thomas a lot at UT and I can say I love this energy. He is strong and very energetic, he is a hustle player that is a monster on the boards.

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

James is not bad. His per 48min stats in the few games/time he got in the NBA last year- 11 games and 10 minutes a game.

10.7 pts on 8.2 fga(1.30 PPA), 15.2 rebs (7.0 off, 8.2 def), 60% fg, 1.64 blks, 1.64 st, 2.9 to, 1.6 ast.

4. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

the rockets need a guy like thomas in at the PF position. if he's available in the offseason they should give him a look because he can defend and rebound like you wouldn't believe.

5. aries323

aries323 Member

Give this guy a shot, he's gotta be better than the "bowen, spoon, padgett" combo we've got behind Juwon.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If he can learn to knock down the 15 ft jumper he's exactly what we need.