1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bread and butter = Chemistry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rhester, Oct 29, 2004.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I think the chemistry will stink on this team until we start riding Yao and TMac's back. The same way we road Dream. The same way teams ride Shaq. Just like the Bulls road MJ.

We must find out what the bread and butter play is for Yao and TMac. What is their signature offensive weapon.

Malone and Stockton had the pick and roll.
    Jordan drove the lane out of the triangle and usually got fouled or scored.
    Hakeem had the baseline dream shake.
    Shaq owns the low post dunk.
    Duncan has the glass on the baseline.

Our offense struggles because we still lack the go to guy with the go to move.

So if Yao will dominate on the 15 ft. turn around lets ride that baby and get him the ball quickly on the block so he can get into it or pass it back out before the shot clock is down to 5 sec.

If TMac likes to post up or drive the lane great, lets get him going and ride him till he drops.

I don't think we are going to find our chemistry until our dynamic duo are THE focal point and they know what whey want to do.

Let's get these guys going and ride them. That's how you become an elite team.

I hope Jeff Van Gundy sees it this way????
    So far I see us trying to involve our role players way too much.

Let them fill in the spaces, but when you have the role players leading the offense and TMac taking his shots off balanced at the end of the shot clock.. Geez no wonder our offense struggles.

Let's feed the ball to TMac and Yao where they like it against Detroit. I'd rather see us lose because our best wasn't good enough. Not because we are out of sync and we can't even get them good looks at the basket.

We brought in TMac, let's ride him.

2. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I agree with what you are saying. I want Yao to catch the ball just outside the lane and either spin in the lane for a hook or turn to the baseline for a jumper. No more standing there holding the ball looking to pass, and no more putting the ball on the floor unless absolutely necessary.

I would also like to see them post up T-mac (ala Clyde of 95). I think he could absolutely score on ANY 2 in the league in the post up position. He simply has too much length and athleticism to be stopped. I would also have MoT or Howard and Yao hang around the 18-20 foot area for T-mac to pass to in case of a double team. If T-mac is doubled then these guys will have easy 15 footers, which all are capable of knocking down with ease. I would also have JJ give the entry pass, that way if his guy doubles he has an open 3.

This isn't Rocket science. Having said all that, it is still pre-season. I won't worry about anything until around mid-December. This team just needs time to gel.

3. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

I think that is exactly what JVG is trying to do. I think one of thier signature moves will be the post up of Yao and the high screen and roll with T-Mac and Yao. I saw a lot of good hustle last night against Detroit, although we lost the game we were running the floor a bit, some good ball sharing, rebounding etc. Our shots are not falling right now due to the fact that JVG is probably running thier butts off in practices...lol

4. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Well so far it seems to me the ball has been to much in the hands of JJ , MoTaylor and JHoward.

Charlie Ward needs to look to Yao immediately once Yao gets post position.

The preseason has looked ragged because we are making too many passes to JJ from the point position instead of passing back out to him from the double team.

Also we are posting up Howard and Mo Taylor.. Stop the madness.

If we are going to look for a first option post up, make sure it is TMac or Yao.

Jeff Van Gundy- Ride the hosses please!

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

not to be a nit pick, but it's virtually impossible to use the glass off the basesline

6. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I agree rhester!

man.. our ball handlers needs to set the tone going for our guys and our role players needs to position themselves and spacing. once yao and t-mac can do what they do best we'd be unstoppable on offense.

im still pissed off that deke is over 7 ft. tall yet he always decides to lay the ball in instead of dunking the damn ball.

i saw one play where our guy passes him the ball while hes on the baseline.. and no defender near the goal.. he decides to lay the ball in .. and oops it bounces out.. dunk the damn ball when ur open! sheesh! and make sure it goes in