1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

i missed the coin toss....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bronxfan, Feb 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

can anyone tell me who exactly who came out and who tossed it - was it earl? ( i thought he refused to come out unless his sons were with him, and the nfl said no)...

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Earl was there (don't know if his sons were or not), along with 5 other Texans in the HOF...Don Maynard, Kenny Houston, someone, someone, and YA Tittle. Tittle did the coin toss.

3. drapg

drapg Member

Gene Upshaw was one of the "someones."

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I thought you would be at a party by now!:D

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It was tossed by Y. A. Tittle , former NY Giants quarterback from Marshal Texas.

I think he was the Quarterback in the 1958 Championship game that is widely recognized as being the cataylst game for the popularization of NFL Football as a spectator sport.

#5 Dubious, Feb 1, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  6. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Earl was there, you could see his two kids off the left of Earl, one wearing a #20 Texas jersey, and the other wearing a #34 Oiler jersey.

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Tittle wasn't in that '58 Championship Game. Tittle joined the Giants in 1961, I believe.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That is correct. Y.A. was with the 49ers back then. The Giants QBs in 1958 were Don Heinrich (he would start and play the first series) and then Chuck Connerly.