1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP platform draft declares p*rnography 'public health crisis'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Pest_Ctrl, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

public health crisis?!?

I think we all understand the point she's trying to make. But invoking the phrase 'public health' as if some random yahoo is qualified to determine what merits a public health crisis and not just somebody's morality crisis is ridiculous.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

These guys can't seem to stop shooting themselves in the feet with strange stuff.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

No health crisis here in the house of Jontro. In fact I'm healthy as can be.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Are they blaming p*rn for the silent crisis of closeted gay GOP congressmen roaming around restrooms?

1 person likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Can't fap to that.

7. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

This doesn't sound like something Trump will use as a talking point in his campaign.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

That's because they're addicted to it.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That is so like GOP, do things against what they actually want to do.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Ironically enough..

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

p*rn addiction is a public health crisis. Agreed.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree as well. There's been a number of studies on p*rn consumption that show negative effects on people's relationship with sex and with relationships. Now, it's not like it's going to radically reduce life expectancy or anything, but I see it as a negative in society, and something that has absolutely exploded in both prevalance and extreme-ness (synonym?) with the internet and is completely unchecked from a public policy point of view.

I don't see any particular policy advocated in the platform (aside from the obvious, prosecute sex offenders), so it looks mostly to me like an attempt to acknowledge that there's a problem. If they secure that, maybe policy follows later. But, I have no problem with that because I think it's true. We may decide later -- like with alcohol, cigarettes, mar1juana, fast food, gambling, and prostitution -- that though it has negative health outcomes people should nevertheless be free to engage with it. I'm fine with that, but I think we should do that honestly and not be afraid to acknowledge that maybe it's not too healthy for us.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Need Jontro opinion in this matter...

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

never mind...just saw his post...LOL

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

This is a draft and would still have to be voted on by the delegates. Definitely don't think this is platform worthy, but it reflects what the CDC has said before, IIRC. I don't know if it's truly a public health crisis, but I definitely think it's a cultural crisis. I definitely believe it rewires the brain and totally changes our expectations in relationships, women, and sex.

I think a lot of things in modern society are far worse for us than benefit us, but I think it's a cultural issue. Something we need to individually decide to make a change.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

So we agree that 'chronic masturbation' is disgusting, unproductive, and life consuming? I agree, gotcha.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Exactly. It's ok to like p*rn, and it's ok to think its bad. But it doesn't need to be something the federal government needs to do anything about. Further, this type of thing works directly against the small government mantra that used to be the Republican agenda.

These types of things are also not necessary politically. Those who think this is a good idea to include were going to be voting Republican anyway, most likely. So, not much to gain, and turning off the small government crowd, so potential there to lose. I really wish the Republicans would adopt more of the Libertarian mindset, keeping out of the social issues. And I am far from alone in this.

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

GOP is hilarious these days.