1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Local politicians want to engineer galleria bus rapid transit in a way that would NEVER allow rail

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Aug 21, 2014.

1. da1

da1 Member

Rail divisions loom over Uptown bus project

By Dug Begley

August 20, 2014 | Updated: August 20, 2014 2:08pm

A project to add dedicated bus lanes along Post Oak Boulevard is generating a lot of discussion not for what it is - a street project with buses - but for the rail line it isn't.

With work set to start early next year, the latest sparring over the planned bus rapid transit project is focused on assuring skeptics it is not a precursor to rail. Metropolitan Transit Authority officials want to design the project in a way that doesn't make a future rail conversion impossible. Metro chairman Gilbert Garcia has declined to sign a document stating that the project will not be engineered to support rail.

The dispute shows the potency of rail as a wedge issue in Houston transportation policy, even in connection with a non-rail project.

Opponents of plans to extend light rail westward from the central business district have resisted Metro rail plans along Richmond and Post Oak. Metro officials, meanwhile, note that voters approved rail in both corridors in a 2003 referendum.

John Breeding, president of the Uptown Management District, said the Post Oak busway will be a huge benefit to the Uptown area. The district is developing the project in partnership with Metro and the city.

"What we want is something that is cost effective, functional and provides service for people who want to get from home to work," Breeding said, saying bus rapid transit fits the bill. "I care about service, not what the tires on the wheel are made of and whether they are rubber or steel."

The $192.5 million project will use dedicated bus lanes - one in each direction - in the center of Post Oak to ferry travelers between a future transit center in Bellaire to the Northwest Transit Center near Interstate 10. Seven stops are planned, enabling a rider to take a Metro park and ride bus from suburban lots to the Bellaire or Northwest centers, and then use the rapid transit to get into the Uptown area.

Metro will buy and operate the buses. Uptown is overseeing construction, which will retain three lanes for vehicles in each direction on Post Oak by adding the bus lanes in the center.

Analysts estimated more than 19,000 people would use the line daily by 2018, provided officials build a $45 million portion that includes dedicated bus lanes in each direction along Loop 610. Without the Loop 610 lane, about 14,100 are expected to hop aboard daily.

State transportation officials approved adding the Loop 610 phase to the state's transportation plan, making it eligible for $25 million from the Texas Transportation Commission. When commissioners approved the project in June, it was clear they meant it to be a bus project.

"We've had very open discussions that there is not contemplation it will be used for rail," state transportation commissioner Jeff Moseley said during the June 26 meeting in Baytown.

State officials and skeptics of Metro's regional light rail efforts are looking for signed assurances that the bus lane won't be converted to rail, which Metro officials say they must carefully review.

The question becomes how far Metro must go in pledging not to build rail. In a June 2 letter to Moseley, Metro CEO Tom Lambert said "Metro has no plans to convert the dedicated bus service on Post Oak to light rail."

Moseley suggested Metro's pledge on not building rail "could be stronger," according to an email the same day. He suggested noting that any construction would not facilitate rail conversion.

Metro chairman Gilbert Garcia reiterated Metro's lack of any defined rail plans last week, but he said transit officials can't take light rail entirely off the table because the 2003 referendum specifically lists a Post Oak corridor for future rail development.

"I am being respectful of the will of the voters," Garcia said.

As a result, his signature is missing from a July 3 agreement prepared by state transportation officials, seeking another assurance. The one-page document says all the parties "agree that the I-610 dedicated bus lane facility is to be designed and built to support a dedicated bus lane. As designed, the facility will not support a rail component."

Uptown and state officials have signed, but Garcia said he is still mulling the significance of the agreement.

Converting bus rapid transit lanes to rail requires subtle but significant changes, and the initial design of the Post Oak project could make that conversion easier or more difficult. Sharp curves where buses are capable of going might not be as easy for trains.

"I don't think it is our role or intent to make this something it is not," Garcia said. "Likewise, I don't think it is good public policy to prevent a conversion."

His partners disagree.

"We favor building the (Loop 610) dedicated bus lanes so they cannot carry the weight of light rail," Uptown Houston board chairman Kendall Miller wrote in a March 7 letter to state transportation officials. "We also do not support building electrical utilities necessary for light rail transit being constructed."

The request for relief from rail development is the latest in a longstanding demand from Uptown area officials, including Rep. John Culberson, who has long opposed rail development on Richmond and Post Oak.

Culberson has authored federal language barring federal money from being spent to advance rail along Richmond or Post Oak. The language is unique in current transportation spending bills. He has defended the ban as being in the best interests of local constituents and responsible federal spending.

In a statement, Culberson said he was less critical of the current plans on Post Oak.

"Bus rapid transit lanes on Post Oak will fundamentally transform the corridor and public officials should be sure that the people who live and work in the area support it," the statement said in part.

If construction starts early next year as planned, Breeding said, buses would start rolling in 2017.

That quick turnaround to results is one reason why he said officials want to sidestep talk of rail, for or against, if they can.

"It is not about 30 years from now, it is about getting people to work today," he said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...ions-loom-over-Uptown-bus-project-5700489.php

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

everytime i see you with a rail thread, this is all I can see

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Who spells their name "DUG"?? That's ****ed up, man.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I kinda like rail, though I'm not deeply wed to it or anything. If I drive for the rest of my life, I'll be alright. But, if we're going to do rail or not do it, we should be all in or all out. I really don't appreciate the republican strategy of allowing us to spend scads of money on parts of rail but hamstringing it to protect their chosen neighborhoods. This crap is expensive, and if we're spending the money it'd better work. You can't just start building and then excise crucial pieces of the network. The whole thing will fail. Then republicans can say I told you so all day long, but we still will have lost a ton of money on a bunch of useless steel because they wouldn't cooperate. They did the referendum, they cleared the hurdles to put rail in Houston - the decision-making is done. Can we please just execute as well as possible now?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm sure 30 years ago, somebody said the exact same thing...

I fully expect Houston to continue with band-aid politician-friendly solutions... while the rest of this country's major cities are not only working on better solutions today, but ensuring their system won't completely fall apart in 30 years as well.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Because Houston blows and "the rest of this country's major cities" are all smarter? Houston has a much larger Challenger considering people and jobs from "the rest of this country's major cities" are flocking here int he thousands every month. With that growth whatever solution you choose will hurt.

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

houston rail failed when they didnt make elevated tracks

8. rudan

rudan Member

One day I hope this guy gets his dream and moves to a city with plenty of rails and buses. YOu will get there man, one day :)

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That sounds pretty dumb... so basically there's no solution to the endless number of cars, requiring endless highways, and endless money being spent.

Time to start rooting for a pandemic?

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What's wrong with buses?

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

All solutions will hurt is different than "no sulutions". Houston has had a ton of growth and will continue to grow like crazy. The city is too poor to even fix existing roads.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's totally ridiculous. How idiotic would it be to engineer something only if it doesn't allow for future expansion. Politics down here are so staunchly opposed to rail and I can't really figure out why. Everyone knows a light rail line would carry more people than the bus rapid transit line they will construct.

Light rail isn't the best and most efficient form of rapid transit, but it's certainly better than bus rapid transit from an operational efficiency, capacity, ridership and development standpoint.

13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The houston economy is highly tied with oil prices. Oil is doing pretty well right now.If oil was doing poorly what do you think would happen?

15. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Weird. I can get to work today but its a big f'ing hassle once I get to the Galleria area. These politicians will be dead, retired, or out of term in 30 years that's why they don't give a crap. Meanwhile we will have to live with this crap traffic. What's the point of wasting money on a Rapid Bus Transit thing? Houston is starting to get some density in the Galleria area with the new condos and apartments. It would be nice to walk out and wait a few minutes for the rail then go to the garage, find your car, drive out of the garage, then drive to the Galleria and drive around to find parking. I'd rather try to do something different that might lead to a better solution and use some Federal funding for it then this idiotic idea. A lot of people in the Galleria use Metro Vans to get to work anyway so what is the difference? I'm actually curious what the pros for the Rapid Bus Transit is.

1 person likes this.
  16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Rail is cool and all, but I just put new rims and all terrain tires on my truck. So...

True story.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We're not too poor. We just don't want to pay.

1 person likes this.
  18. Classic

Classic Member

^^

I live in the taxable 'city of Hou' and I will never use rail.

Perhaps I may once or twice a year to a sporting event @ Toyota or Reliant if I had access and if there was pre-planned drinking. Better than a cab or a d-dub.

Having said that people riding better be footing the bill, exclusively. Otherwise, I'm pretty opposed.

Signed,

a common sense tax payer

19. da1

da1 Member

I never use 10 but shelled out for the Katy expansion.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]