1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Finance] Should we pay off student loans with money from savings?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Aug 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sajan

Sajan Member

So we have my 6 month emergency fund saved up already.

Wife has 50K in loans at 6.25% (fed loan). Right now I am doubling up on the payments (1500 total). This will let me pay the loan in 5 years instead of 10. I am tempted to pay more towards the loan, or pay a big chunk from my regular savings? Bad idea?

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Do you think you can beat the 6.25% by investing?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sounds like your wife's problem.

4. ling ling

ling ling Member

Do you have any other loans or credit cards with a balance and have interest rates that are higher than 5%?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Isn't student loan interest tax deductible?

6. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I would pay them off and never look back, that's what we did with my wife's student loans when we got married.

We follow the Dave Ramsey plan, you should check it out...

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

I don't do any investing on my own other than the 15% to the work 401k.

nope. no other debt other than the loan. it's either pay off loan or save for a big down payment for house.

i think so.

8. Rockets Red Glare

This is no reason to keep it around. Pay $1 in interest to save 20 cents...

9. REEKO_HTOWN

If student loan interest is tax deductible I see no reason to use money that is building positive interest (savings) towards paying money that essentially has zero interest (student loans).

There is such a thing a good debt. It helps build your credit score and keeps you from using a credit card (rainy day, emergency) after you've killed your savings paying off the student loan

1 person likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

Depends on the interest he's earning with the money in savings no?

11. Rockets Red Glare

I have not seen a bank paying more that 1% in years...

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i don't think debt helps build your credit score. on time payments and a low debt to credit limit ratio do.

and as RRG mentioned, you don't want to pay interest to save a few cents.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Do not touch your emergency fund.

Paying off loans early, for some, has to do if it makes you sleep easier at night. If the loan is causing you stress, paying off early may be a smart move.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is a question only you and your wife can answer. In essence, can you afford to pay off a big chunk from your savings and still have enough money to cover expenses should an emergency occur - for example, lose a job.

From a financial point, you are probably earning minimal interest if your money is in a typical savings account. These question tend to arise if your interest you are earning on your savings is more than the interest you are paying on your loan.

For example, if someone has a car loan at 1% that they could easily pay off, but the money to pay it off is invested and earning 6%+, there is no financial need to pay it off (unless you are applying for a loan or something that wants you to have less debt on the books).

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If the loan is causing you stress - financial or emotional - I would pay it off. After that, I would build your savings back up as quickly as possible. Contribute the money you used to pay towards the loan to your savings instead...and then some.

What if you built up your savings enough to have a 3-month emergency fund AFTER paying off the loan and THEN paid it off? Good compromise between people saying to do it or not do it.

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Its deductible but starts phasing out at 60k-80k AGI for a single person. 130k-160k AGI for married. It's also a deduction not a credit so you are probably only getting less than 20 cents on the dollar like Rockets Red Glare had mentioned.

Do you have any way of reducing the interest on the student loan? I had consolidated my student loans a few years back and got it lowered to about 3% interest on it then they took another .25% off for auto payments. Maybe you guys should look into that as an option.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

I wouldn't touch my emergency fund. This would come from the 2nd savings account I have where I stash my remaining funds.

The only reason I am tempted to pay it off earlier is the interest rate is high. If it was 3 or something, I wouldn't want to.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Hmm. I pay it through "MyFedLoan"...and do the automatic payments to get the 0.25 also..but how would I consolidate it? It's actually 6 separate loans.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

If you are interested in making a stock portfolio, I would do min payments on the loan, and put the rest of that money in your portfolio which could easily make 7-10% return. In theory, you're essentially making money by not paying off your loans right away since the rate isn't back breaking. Any loan under 4% (about same rate as inflation) should be paid off at full length since it's essentially $1 for $1 the same cost if not free money.

That is of course easier said than done, since your portfolio will have it's own fluctuations, but over the long haul, you'll see more money in your pocket going with a portfolio, granted there isn't a crash in the market.

20. Classic

Classic Member

In the same situation as you. We just paid off my wife's student loan(s). Pulled it out of savings.

Did my taxes last year and we couldn't write the interest off. Said to hell with the 6.7% interest and another 8 years of that crap.