1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expected sack total- Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Aug 17, 2014.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It's scary good how good Clowney has looked so far...I'm trying to calm down but I almost don't see a reason he can't average at least one sack a game...really pumped up!

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think it's a realistic goal to get to 10 sacks which would be great for a rookie.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Highest sack total among rookies would be a nice goal. If he doesn't get that, expect lots of troll baiting.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I am going to lock in with 15.

I think his quick burst off the line will be second to none in the NFL this year.

Just insane how quick he got in to the backfield against Atlanta. All outside moves!

Clowney's inside swim is WATTESQUE as well.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Clowney himself, the South Carolina Gamecock terror, has 2/1 odds of winning the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award next season, and an over/under sack total set at 9 - not bad for a first year linebacker.
    http://www.betonsportsonline.com/NF...Gives-Houston-a-Much-Needed-Boost_A28652.html

I'll take the over (I'll call 11). Because, normally an OC would gameplan for him but you can't double him and Watt.

I think I would run away from Watt and inside Clowney a lot and try to kick him out with a pulling guard or fullback because of his tendency to get upfield so fast.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think Watt's sack total skyrockets and Clowney doesn't get to 8.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It depends. If teams are not going to game plan for him he'll dominate like he did against Atlanta. Opposing offenses are going to have their hands full trying to scheme for Watt and Clowney.

I'll go with 10.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

9. Bandwagoner

He is still a rookie. Watt had 3.5 sacks his rookie year.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Clowney- 9
    Watt- 13

11. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10+ this year.

12. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

That's very unrealistic.

Like someone else posted, Vegas usually knows best.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't seem like people are factoring in injury potential. Clowney may play all 16, but he does have a history of little nagging injuries that keep him out of a game or two at a time.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Watt also played DE in a 3-4 while Clowney plays OLB in a 3-4...also, Watt never had the advantage of playing next to a Watt...while Clowney does.

If healthy, I dont see how Clowney doesnt get at least 8-10 sacks. I think that'll be on the low end while 12 is on the higher end.

I'll go with 10 for Clowney and 15 for Watt.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

True, but who are Clowney's comps?

Can he stay healthy?

I think he could easily get 12-15 sacks if he stays healthy playing next to JJ.

16. Bandwagoner

Watt played with Smith and Mario his rookie year on a dominant defense.

I think you missed the point that it is his rookie year. Watt had 5.5 sacks then 20.5 sacks. Expectations for rookies are lower for a reason even if the player has huge upside.

17. Bandwagoner

I forgot I am a Bandwagoner.

Clowney will have 24 sacks minimum.

18. rezdawg

Again, Watt played a position that doesnt bring sack numbers...being an OLB automatically puts you in a position to get sacks.

Mercilus was able to get 6 sacks from the same location in his rookie year despite not being a full time starter from day 1. There is no reason why Clowney shouldnt get 8-10 sacks...even if he is a rookie (which means very little for the OLB spot relative to other positions on the field).

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think that's something to keep in mind. Teams don't really game plan in the preseason. The Cards and Falcons weren't really concerning themselves with how they were going to deal with Watt and Clowney, so they may have an easier time in the preseason that they will in the regular season. It will be interesting to see how opposing offenses are going to attempt to neutralize those two, but that's something we're not going to see until week 1.

20. rezdawg

If Nix can stay healthy, his presence alone can give Clowney an extra couple sacks.

Sucks for offenses to have to plan against that...you basically have to pick your poison by single teaming one of them.