1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.J. Watt Extension Prediction

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pugsly8422, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I feel pretty confident in it. This is a QB league. Do you see Peyton or Brady winning 2 games?

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Im not arguing the value of Brady or Manning or Brees or Rodgers but other than those 4 guys there is nobody else in the league that can impact the game like JJ imo.

And none of those guys are walking thru the door, we have to build with what we have

3. Remii

Remii Member

Many teams can point to losing games by a TD. Point differential gives a better indication and the Texans were ranked #31 out of 32 teams.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

what is your point? every team in the NFL is talented, any given sunday you can win by 20 or lose by 20... the difference between the Seahawks and the Texans is marginal.

5. Remii

Remii Member

[​IMG]

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Just.. wow. I just.. :confused:

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The bottom line here is that we need to get the deal done. JJ Watt is a franchise type player. He always plays with a high motor. He has proven to be durable. He is a good community guy.

There really isn't a downside to JJ Watt. Pay him, Rick.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It doesn't really compare.

At the time Andre signed his extensions he was a top 5 WR.

At the time Cushing signed his extension he was a top 10 ILB.

At the time Foster signed his extension he was a top 5 RB.

Right now Watt is the #1 DE and it's not close. In fact, he's the #1 defensive player in all the NFL. He's unquestionably the team's best player, it's emotional leader, and hell you WANT a guy like that to be making near the most money on your team. You want other players to look up to him and say, "if I get behind this guy then maybe I can get paid too."

JJ Watt is not a guy you play cap games with. Give him his money and then manage the cap around him. Foster's probably getting cut next year. Andre will be really expensive. It's the NFL. It doesn't cripple your franchise to cut someone.

9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Please don't screw the pooch on this one Texans. FFS, get THIS contract right.

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

PAY THIS MAN!

I never want to see this guy playing for another team.

11. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

give him the max and build around him. Outstanding players both on and off the field. Great leader to have in the locker room.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's the best defensive player in football, yes. But please don't say silly things about "best ever" when he's played three years. It forces me to take swipes at JJ and I don't want to take swipes at JJ...

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Smart man.

[​IMG]

14. Hey Now!

Fans love JJ Watt, I get it - I think he's tremendous, as well. But this heightened urgency to pay him when the Texans have absolutely zero incentive to do so baffles me.

If he's willing to trade the final two years of his deal *and* remove the possibility of being franchised in three years, he's going to have to accept less money. That's the trade-off. Otherwise, the Texans should pack their belongings, thank Watt and his agent for meeting with them and be on their merry way.

15. Major

Major Member

There is no "max" in the NFL outside of the overall salary cap. He could ask for $100MM/yr if he really wanted to. As Hey Now said, they have a LONG time to work this out - the urgency is silly.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It really is.

Its not like Watt is planning on holding out.... if he does (or wants to), then we have a different story.

17. Hey Now!

As is the rush to side with JJ... I don't really think there's a bad guy here. Yet. But JJ pressing this a bit *now*... feels a little me-first selfish. Not that I disagree with his perspective - he is outplaying his contract; no question. But forcing the Texans into a unnecessary cap burden doesn't really ring as a team-first gesture.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is he really pressing? I honestly having paid that much attention to it because it's basically stupid to worry about at this point, but it seems like this has been fan and media driven. He did seem to comment on it, but only after he was specifically asked about it.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

ask anyone around the game and they will tell you he has played better than just about any DE ever... just because its 3 years doesn't mean anything, Bo Jackson is one of the best RBs ever.

20. Indaface

Indaface Member

JJ is the best football player in his position in the league. No one is better at what they do than JJ. He redefined a 3-4 DE that is still a run stopper but also a lethal pass rusher. In comparison that's like a QB that can throw and read the game like Peyton but also run. We are lucky to have him.

In term of value he's definitely still below QB's (because their value is much higher) . I'm sure the team will pay him they are not idiots (although they have shown they can be)