1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do our frequent wars and miltary ops do anything for the 99%?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 4, 2015.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let's forget for the moment the typical concerns, "democracy promotion" "human rights" claims, "communism: left/right quarrels, destabilization, failed states, refugees, morality etc.

Do these wars accomplish anything for the 99% here at home? Of course some members of the one percent make out great with investments in military related industries.

But how about the 99%? Roughly 1 to 2% are seriously f'ed up as they and their families at home have to suffer personally in the foreign wars we fight while much of the population occasionally puts out a yellow ribbon or says: "thank you for your service" or roots "USA! USA! sort of like at a Rockets game.

The rest of the 99% pay quite a bit of our taxes to support these operations. Another certain percent earn pay checks from working in arms plants or selling goods and services to the military and doing businesses around the bases etc.

However, does the bulk of the 99% actually benefit overall ? Some leftists I know believe that our standard of living is dependent on the basically good deals we attain by extracting oil, minerals from compliant regimes or bringing in low price products from sweat shop industries like clothing manufacturers, electronics where we support the dictators that suppress the wages.

I am not convinced. I think that overall even from a pure material point of view we would be better without all these wars and various military ops.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well, waiting lists at the VA would definitely be much shorter.

I don't know. I guess you could make an argument on the premise of 'job creation'. I'm sure the employees at Raytheon, Lockheed Martin etc. didn't mind the wars. Then again, that is a small swath of the population.

I don't think there is any sound argument on the premise of 'security'. I don't think our involvement in Afghanistan or Iraq prevented any terrorist attacks within our borders, and this is coming from a guy who literally shed blood in one of those places. If anything, our involvement recruited more terrorists.

#2 fchowd0311, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It didn't benefit the 1% either.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Not sure how you change DNA.

America Has Been At War 93% of the Time – Since 1776

Below, I have reproduced a year-by-year timeline of America’s wars, which reveals something quite interesting: since the United States was founded in 1776, she has been at war during 214 out of her 235 calendar years of existence. In other words, there were only 21 calendar years in which the U.S. did not wage any wars.

To put this in perspective:

* Pick any year since 1776 and there is about a 91% chance that America was involved in some war during that calendar year.

* No U.S. president truly qualifies as a peacetime president. Instead, all U.S. presidents can technically be considered “war presidents.”

* The U.S. has never gone a decade without war.

* The only time the U.S. went five years without war (1935-40) was during the isolationist period of the Great Depression.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Corporate and drug wars... It's all about the money.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Some around here would say it thins the heard

Carter tried his best

Rocket River

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So, we have empirical evidence that war = not depression. War we must.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, security.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think a credible argument could be made for Afghanistan, though I'm not sure I'd believe it. Still, the Taliban was hosting terrorist organizations and they had a number of training camps in the country. I think the war disrupted a state sponsor of terrorism. Now, was it worth the tradeoff in inspiring new recruitments and fanning resentments, I don't know.

More generally on the subject, I think it depends on the war. I think the US materially benefited from fighting WWII. German and Japanese empires would have shut the US out of significant parts of the world. By defeating them, we penetrated and dominated markets in east Asia and in Europe into which we could sell product and from which we extracted resources. That gave an economic uplift to a large cross-section of the US with secure and fairly well-paying jobs.

Other wars don't have as much payoff. Arguably the Korean war, since we at least kept South Korea open to the West. More broadly, if you believed the spread of communism was an existential threat, then all the proxy wars of the Cold War have a payoff -- though I don't believe it ever was an existential threat.

But, anyway you start with setting aside all that other stuff that might make wars worth fighting and then conclude we're better off without these wars without ever bringing those things back in. Defeating ISIS, for example, probably isn't an NPV positive project for us. Syria doesn't matter to our financial wellbeing, and we're not going to take any net benefit from fighting or defeating them. But, they cut off Americans' heads, they burn infidels, they enslave women, they maim boys who won't fight -- the 99% here have an interest in their defeat even when there is no benefit to us, just because it's right. So I think looking to tangible benefits is useful, but it's too narrow.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Maybe Trump is the change we need to alter that DNA?

My magic eight ball says "doubtful" but could he do any worse than past presidents when it comes to foreign policy?

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What do you mean "our" wars, and how would "we" be better off? Higher oil prices, higher manufacturing prices, etc, etc.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wouldn't a more productive approach towards criticizing bad policy be noting that the policies are more or less failures by means of their own stated goals ("we'll bring peace and democracy to the mideast via aimless war enabling various undemocratic regimes") rather than saying "it never did anything for the little guy!"

Honestly, glynch you are embarrassing sometimes, all you do is engineer small victories from the Mr. Clutches of the universe who go home, secure in their incoherent Lubbock-formed worldview after exchanging a few platitudes as part of your poorly executed forays.

15. glynch

Agreed, Mr. Clutch is always easy to score victories over, big or small whether in "libertarian" or conservative mode. Little guys always fall for the peace and democracy or in the case of Mr.Clutch "security" or simplistic econ 101 abstraction type arguments, but I was trying to get them to consider things from a different angle from the usual frame and thought the self interest point of view might be instructive.

Also I do actually wonder how much of our standard of living depends on sheer exploitation of poorer countries. I suppose you have never pondered such matters from your corporate law employment world view, but perhaps during your undergrad life? However, thanks for your concern about my "poorly executed forays"

Have a good weekend.

#15 glynch, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It creates design, domestic manufacturing and salaried office work as well as massive commodity purchases with no enterprise accountability towards competitive market forces or credit solvency. Cynically enough I'm skeptical most business owners, non-humanities college grads, or entrenched corporate staffers identify with enough of the rest of the population to mobilize a 99%.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It creates lots and lots of jobs.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, everyone can always do worse. Every Democrat president after Zachary Taylor became the worst in history up to that point, every president after Eisenhower was a WWII vet and couldn't fathom an American retreat, so they each unnecessarily escalated Vietnam. Harding, Coolidge and Hoover clearly missed something.

19. glynch

Well I do agree with the non-competitive part. One the more amusing farces involving the "free market" are the massive weapons system industries. You seldom have more than a couple and often two suppliers for the most sophisticated planes, tanks, drones and the US and perhaps the Saudis and a couple of others are the usual buyers.

Maybe we should work out the sort of deal we have with the Saudis -- the oil for arms trade-- with the Chinese. We buy all the consumer goods from China and to maintain the balance of payments they return the money by buying our top product, sophisticated weapons. Better for the 99% than merely giving them to the Israelis for free.

20. bmd

bmd Member

In what way does the United States exploit poor countries?