1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Team Africa vs Team World- NBA Exhibition Game in Africa

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ferrari77, Apr 22, 2015.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Probably should have been Team World vs Team America. (Unless the NBA is planning to have Joakim and Nik Batum play for Team Africa).
    Plus Thabo Sefolosha is injured and can't play in his father's country so that sucks for him.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm glad the NBA is doing more outreach globally, basketball may never be as popular as soccer- but it surely can be the "global second".

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I get that it's to showcase Africa and African players, but what were they thinking? Team Africa is going to be decimated by Team World.

I can't even think of that many African players in the NBA. Deng, Ibaka...

(and from Wiki) Dieng, Aminu, Ezeli...who else?

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

maybe they can let reitred players play and let Mutombo and Olajuwon go to work? :cool:

1 person likes this.
  5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i think iggy is half nigerian, but he plays for team USA. lol they should get that guy from Nigeria that broke Harden's ankles

6. ferrari77

Joakim Noah, Nic Batum and Ian Mahinmi consider themselves part African. (All have fathers from West Africa). Also, Thabo Sefolosha as I mentioned, but he is out injured. Arinze Onuaku who got called up to the Twolves is Nigerian-American.

For sure though, it should have been Team World vs Team America and that would also have been a good way to test such a format out for a possible future ASG.

#6 ferrari77, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  7. ferrari77

Dude I seriously think that it is already(informally at least) the global second sport after Soccer.

Whats funny to me though is that there are way more African players(2nd generation at least) that play in the NFL (large rosters helps in that regard) but the NFL is so focused on England and Europe in general that they do ZERO w/regards to outreach in Africa. That's part of why the NBA is so successful globally. They reached out to every area and they took advantage of the African stars they had/have(from Manute, Dream and Dikembe to Ibaka and Luol Deng right now).
    Unreal to me how the NFL doesn't seem to get it but whatever I guess, they're still the #1 in North America and will eventually be #5 in England.

8. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

there is no can be, it already is. what they need to is just make small steps towards closing that gigantic gap between first and second.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think its a good format, even if Team Africa gets trounced. Africans will appreciate it, which is kinda the point. And, the best players with African ties will feel a compunction to play whereas many of the best non-African players will beg off. So it'll be Deng, Ibaka, etc, vs. Paul and role-players. And no one is going to be going at it very hard anyway, so the game can't get too lopsided.

10. ferrari77

Rosters are out.

Major props to CP3 and the Gasol brothers for participating in this, as well as Coaches-Pops, Budz, Monty, Lionel and Brad Stevens.

I'm surprised given the lack of quality guards on the teams for this game, Dame Lillard wasn't begging to play in it (much like he did for the NBA ASG this year)

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

interesting to see Giannis Antetokoumpo has more or less dropped the pretense that he is Greek.

[clyde]And things just keep getting worse, for the Greeks, heh heh.[/clyde]

12. malakas

malakas Member

yeah that's why one day later he will join the Greek NT team.
    Get your xenophobic hatred out of this thread. IDIOT.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Surprised that Oladipo won't be there since he's second generation and they needed a guard.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Team Africa in a clear sweep 4-0

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think they misspelled "Team African-American vs World"

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pop easily takes that Team Africa team to a CF, regardless of East or West.

17. mig0s

mig0s Member

Team Africa is actually pretty good. Will wipe this team USA

18. ferrari77

Chill man, I think he was just joking. Either way it's good Giannis can still acknowledge his roots even if playing for Greece.

I'm very surprised by this too, especially since there's no indication he'll be playing for Nigeria at the AfroBasket championships this summer, so he has nothing keeping him from appearing at this Exhibition game.

I still think it should've been Team World vs Team America so they could add some European guards like Rubio or Schroeder to the team of Africans since there are a greater number of quality African (or 2nd generation African)bigs than quality African guards in the NBA..

19. jbasket

jbasket Member

According to half of CF, Pop is as valuable as Lebron, so this should be an easy wrap for Team Africa.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I wonder if Greek gets kicked of the EU if he'd play for Nigeria instead.