1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Free Throw Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yes, it had to be done. As bad as we have been playing recently, we can always count on one thing to put a smile on our faces: Chuck Hayes' Free Throw shot!! Probably the weirdest looking free throw shot in the history of basketball. I think Kenny Smith said it best, "Does this guy know how to play basketball?" :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0wQq9YWZ568&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0wQq9YWZ568&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    Notice AI and the other Nuggets say that he is traveling. LOL, I think they're right.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLx-Ei2Pk_Y&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLx-Ei2Pk_Y&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    Boozer at the end: "OH S***"

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2P9qCPkI-4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2P9qCPkI-4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWPsSFfaUMU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWPsSFfaUMU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Omer

Omer Member

That's hilarious, I just watched all those.

The Boozer one was so funny.

It's stunning, even I can shoot free throws and make them, and I'm pretty bad at it.

3. Melo

Melo Member

why is Iverson acting like he has never seen this FT before? like shown in video rox played denver before, and chuck actually shot ft ;) He tries to be cool i think :p

4. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

The only thing uglier than a Chuck Hayes free throw is a Chuck Hayes jump shot. I wish I could find the video of him shooting one with the shot clock running down. Even the crowd gasped when he took that one.

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I said it in another thread, but I'm sorry. That is simply disgraceful. In the Denver game, what should have been a momentum builder became a momentum killer. Hayes got two free throws because of the flagrant and by shooting and missing so badly, he got the entire crowd pumped up. The Nuggets players were laughing so hard. The announcers were laughing AT HIM. The analysts were laughing AT HIM. Hayes, because of his stubborness or lack or practice (whatever), gave Denver the momentum. Hayes and the Rockets were thoroughly embarassed and could only slink away.

6. pdiddy

pdiddy Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes free throw shot is another frustrating thing about this team. I can't believe someone hasn't made him rework his shot. Take it back to fundamentals. He can't tweak that shot, it is all wrong. Sometimes I wonder what coaching gets done in the Pros, because even a new basketball fan can see that his shot won't work. He needs to develop some pride, because he looks ridiculous.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It has nothing to do with stubborness or lack of practice. Which is unfortunate, because that would be correctable. I have a feeling Chuck is going to be one of those players whose FT% goes from bad (~65%) to unspeakable (~30%) as his career progresses.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He should try underhanded.

DD

9. Rowdie Brandon

me and my boy were cracking up when A.I. was staring down chuck on the line the other night...............good stuff.......................for our entertainment at least, we could've used those damn freethrows.

10. Rowdie Brandon

I have to agree with this somewhat....there is NO excuse for a professional player to even attempt a freethrow like that.....last year it was ugly, but this year with the added "foot movement" it's just gotten ridiculous....I like Chuck, but the coaching staff needs to get with him on that "thing" he calls a shot.........

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Just for fun, check out Barkley's golf swing. It must be something in that name Chuck.........

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s50K65PNeBU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s50K65PNeBU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:D

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Chuck's form is actually worse this year than last year....at least he didn't travel last year and he was shooting them at 65%. now he's added two steps to his routine and he's shooting them at 22%. i thought he hired a free throw coach. wtf happened?

13. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

its one thing for a player to be bad at free throw shooting but what Chuck Hayes does is ridiculous...
    they should tell him to correct his form/mechanics or lose playing time....its embarassing to watch...
    it may be funny to some of you but its not when it costs us games (like the one in Denver)

14. durvasa

If it was just an issue of horrible mechanics, that might work. But Chuck's problem is largely mental. He's not trying to shoot with a hitch, I think that's obvious.

If he tried to shoot underhanded, who knows what might actually be the result. He may fall backwards.

15. Rowdie Brandon

hahahaha..............

16. zong

zong Member

Just get a coach, and do some free throw techniques, or he will set a bad image for NBA. ppl in whole world can just not believe what they have seen such a free throw in NBA. :mad:

17. durvasa

If it was that simple, you don't think it would be been done by now? He probably works with coaches on his free throws as much as any other player on the team (save, perhaps, Yao). That's what he was doing all summer. And yet, somehow, it's gotten worse.

Who knows ... maybe he's been trying too hard to fix his free throws. I'd be quite happy with his 65% shooting from his first two years right now. Currently, you just can't trust him to be on the floor at the end of a close game. Opposing teams would just foul him on every possession, because clearly the bigger the stage the more he chokes up.

18. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

I get scared when he shoots the FT's..I know that he can't score them for his life, let alone adding the pressure of an entire crowd pumping you up.
    His missed FT's( not just his,anyones..but specifically him because he can't score a single one) cost us games.

19. durvasa

In all our losses this year, he's just 1-4 from the line in two games. Let's not get carried away. He's unspeakably bad at them, but he doesn't shoot enough for it to matter that much. It's not like he's bricking 6 or 7 a game like Shaq used to.

20. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Yea this thing puzzles me. It's not like his hands are enormous or he's 8 feet tall. He has the size of a perimeter player. It has to be mental.

Either way, it can't be THAT hard to change a form. I mean when I just shoot freethrows, I can try various methods and after 10 or so I can hit them somewhat consistently (never been a good shooter), it doesn't take a long time to get used to a form. Correcting a jumpshot on the other hand is much harder. Maybe a ritual of some kind would help him?

I remember that but that was last year. On a dead play this year he shot a jumpshot (from about 18 feet) - he missed but it looked ok, no hitches.