1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Age Discrimination

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WhiteMagic02, Aug 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

I'm from a small-town, in a dry county.
    I was in Beaumont the other day with a friend and I wanted a beer, so I was trying to be sneaky and ask folks that were over 21 to buy me some. Everyone had some kind of excuse, "I'm on probation," "I'm a christian," etc., etc.
    I tried to buy it myself but when the dude asked for my ID I just picked up the 6-pack and put it back in the cooler.
    I tried about three stores before I gave up. I knew there was no way I was going to buy it myself, I had just shaved and after I shave I look like I'm about 16.

The point is, I'm 18, legally an adult. I believe designating an age over 18 is a form of discrimination. Not only alcohol, but also the gambling thing. What upsets me is the gov can put me in the army, put a gun in my hand and drop me in a desert but I can't even go into Poochie's and buy a beer.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The problem is that there are valid reasons to have the drinking age be 21. They didn't just pull it out of a hat.

1) The brain is not finished maturing until age 21. Until that time the alcohol will affect your brain differently (and more deleteriously) than after age 21.

2) When the drinking age was 18, there were SCORES more fatal traffic accidents involving alcohol. Most of these fatalities had occurred where the person that had been drinking was 18 to 21 years of age.

I'm not saying that it would necessarily be a problem for you, but your peers are on the whole not mature enough to handle the responsibilities that come with alcohol consumption. All of that being said I understand your point and see the inequities there. I can see the other side as well though.

3. Timing

Timing Member

Plus who really wants high school kids drinking beer in the cafeteria. ;)

4. Refman

LOL...exactly. I'll have a Frito Pie, a tostada...and a Budweiser. LOL :D

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Dude, you'll have your entire life to drink to your heart's content. Get over it and wait three years...

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well why not wait three years before Selective Service Registration?
    Ability to be drafted?
    etc.

Why would I want a bunch of non developed brain in the military?

Rocket River
    Age Discrimination is something that is never taken seriously unless it is OLD AGE discrimination because you 18 yr olds don't vote.

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Just move to any other country in the world, except the Ukraine, and drink away!

8. deepellumrocket

Dude, if you can't find somebody in Beaumont to buy your beer, you're not looking very hard.

9. Refman

I never said that the brain was not developed, just that it was not fully mature. Alcohol will effect it in some not very good ways. It has nothing to do with one's ability to tote a rifle and take orders.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And the countries that follow the Sh'ira(sp) or Islamic law.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You are better off without it.

12. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

Jeff: You are better off without it.

Perhaps, but it should be my decision to make as to whether I want to drink or not. People that smoke are better off without cigarettes, but if they choose to smoke they can. The point I'm trying to make is that I am an adult and there should be no restrictions as to what I can buy, as long as its not an illegal substance.

13. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

It will be ... when you're 21.

14. mfclark

mfclark Member

For anyone under the age of 21, it is an illegal substance.

I wholeheartedly agree with what Jeff said - you're better off without it. It's your choice to make, sure, but in my opinion - it's a pretty stupid one if you're underage trying to drink alcohol.

I'm 18 years old and have never had the desire to drink and don't think I will, even after being around a lot of people in college who do drink. There's no good that can come from alcohol and if you get drunk, you tend to just look pretty darn stupid.

Not to mention that if you are caught with it underage, you can face arrest, expulsion from school, and other assorted penalties. The ways the rules are set up, it's your right to choose if you want to drink alcohol - if you're 21. There's nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost by lowering it to 18 - because trust me, there are a LOT of 18-21 year olds who aren't mature enough to be adults.

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You don't know what you're missing mfclark. :D Beer helps you sleep.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Go buy some barley, hops and yeast. All legal.
    Make your own beer and drink yourself into a stupor.
    Even easier, buy some model airplane glue or gasoline.
    No wait, spin around in circles real fast for about two minutes.
    No, no...