1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant's Free Agency

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 8, 2016.

1. TheresTheDagger

Let the speculation begin! Who IS Durant's choice?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to sources, <a href="https://twitter.com/JoelMeyersNBA">@JoelMeyersNBA</a> states that if the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Thunder?src=hash">#Thunder</a> don't make <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash">#NBA</a> Finals, Kevin Durant will leave: <a href="https://t.co/T5LGarK2fx">https://t.co/T5LGarK2fx</a></p>&mdash; SiriusXM NBA Radio (@SiriusXMNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/706944449604132865">March 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Also says the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Warriors?src=hash">#Warriors</a> will not be Durant’s No. 1 choice. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/hmm?src=hash">#hmm</a> <a href="https://t.co/b0wXk9BDVY">https://t.co/b0wXk9BDVY</a></p>&mdash; Ben DuBose (@BenDuBose) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/707284111128444929">March 8, 2016</a></blockquote>

2. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Why would Durant make such an ultimatum right now? "If I can't help lead my team into the finals then I'm leaving." Doesn't sound like something any rational person would say unless they really hated playing/living there. I'll take this report with a grain of salt.

3. TheresTheDagger

Normally, I'd agree. But this guy has been there for a long time, and there is no guarantee Westbrook will stay. In fact, he's probably gone to Los Angeles when his FA time hits.

This is for the next big portion of his peak years. If he's uncertain if Westbrook will stay, and given the Thunder's inability to find more help for him, I can see an argument being made for him to get out now.

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I have a feeling he would go to the Lakers.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't think it's that far-fetched. Flash forward for a moment to July 2016. Even throwing out 2015 given the injury to Durant himself, Durant will have had three chances after the Harden trade to get OKC through the West. If all three fail -- and given the fact that the Thunder are essentially an "all in" team, considering the big contracts of Kanter/Ibaka and the big money given to Billy Donovan -- I don't think it's unreasonable for Durant to conclude that he can't win a ring surrounded by that team.

He might really like Oklahoma City, yet simply come to a conclusion that he can't win a ring with that group. A sample size of three failed postseasons, combined with the lack of meaningful cap flexibility, would be concerning.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Whether that's how he feels or not is beside the point.

The question is why would he say something publicly now... even to his "bros" or whomever? He knows how the game works. Anything he says to anybody remotely likely to leak something will, so if this is true - which I find suspect - why is he letting it be known?

I suspect more likely some sources is making stuff up, that is likely to be true, even if he doesn't know it to be so...

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

In before...

[​IMG]

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Joel Meyers? The guy the Lakers & Texans fired? What does he know? :p

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What about that 1 year deal? Still seems to make a lot of sense for him.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

adam silver would be frothing at the mouth if durant signed with GS. his own little FC Barcelona revenue machine right here stateside

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kevin Durant on the report of a Finals or he's leaving ultimatum: &quot;Everyone make up rumors this time of year&quot; <a href="https://t.co/hRi14Mbl8o">pic.twitter.com/hRi14Mbl8o</a></p>&mdash; Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) <a href="https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/707273328331853824">March 8, 2016</a></blockquote>

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

As long as he doesn't say anything publicly (and he hasn't), he has plausible deniability. Even if the report becomes a "thing", Kevin can just say that it's wrong -- and that's where the story ends, because obviously Meyers isn't going to publicly identify his sources.

I think you're partially right -- it's a game of telephone, and with each layer of removal a source has from KD, the more likely that somewhere it's been embellished. However, I do think there can still be an element of core truth to it, which is that people close to Durant have gotten the hint that the odds of him staying are not good. As long as Durant doesn't say anything on the record, he has plausible deniability for those scenarios, and he knows it.

If he never had the Jones fracture, I could see that scenario... but that's a complex injury with a high number of long-term complications. My hunch is that after all he went through a year ago, he'll want more security than one year. Perhaps a PO after year 2?

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't like the Goldenstate angle at all. Goldenstate is already one of the greatest teams of all time. It makes little sense to tinker with something that is obviously working perfectly.

I think people undersell our shot at Durant, specifically if the rumors of him and Horford wanting to play together are true. Not sure how many teams can clear the deck like us (thank god for flexibility), while retaining a superstar core guy.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed....

And there we go disagreeing again, we have no shot at Durant.

DD

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DD, no shot? Hardly. There is a shot. It is very viable.

BTW, everyone was so sure that LMA would take the 1+1. And what did he do? It's not just about money, but window of opportunity to join a team who has cap space and space to make other moves. All of those elements are connected.

I am not saying KD to Houston is likely or a given. But it is not a pipe-dream either.

Morey has just put the Rockets in possible to strike at the opportunity if things fall into their favor.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Okay so, if he leaves OKC and you agree he isn't going to GSW, then where is he going?

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Miami is a threat in my estimation. Eastern conference, Riley and a VET team that can "win now." Key will be Bosh's long term health. If they add KD, they have to remove Whiteside however.

I see the Heat & Rockets as the leaders if you are taking GSW off the table. Teams like Washington and Orlando have space but are YOUNG and I think that goes against KD's criteria that WOJ laid out.

18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

1. I agree about the "no shot" thing not being true. There's always a shot. Just like there's a shot at winning the megamillions. Very little chance of it happening though. Rockets cleared out enough money to sign Bosh to a max 2 seasons ago right? I guess we had a shot at getting LeBron instead as well, no? Wasn't happening then and it's not as likely as happening now. Lebron already had his rings and championships. Durant doesn't have his yet.

2. Just because Aldridge didn't take the 1+1 deal doesn't mean Durant won't either. There's no telling what Durant does this off-season no matter what journalist or insider tells you. Like Cyberx loves to say, "things are fluid," and I 100 percent agree with him on that. This is a fluid situation, and things can change so quickly especially in the middle of March. KD is young, and if he signs a 4 year max with the thunder it'll be to a 25% max rather than a 30% percent max because of waiting one season early. Sometimes it's not about the money with players, but sometimes it is. You can't decide that decision for a player. Who are you to say what Durant will choose?

3. Sure, I'll give you that Durant to Houston isn't a pipe dream, but there were so many instances where something wasn't a pipedream and it still didn't happen. Just because it is plausible doesn't mean that it has more of a chance of happening compared to something else. You're telling me that Durant coming here isn't a pipe dream because a guy heard from a guy that isn't Durant that Horford is on the short list of players he'd like to play with? How much truth is in that? If it were true then that means you'd have to convince Horford to sign with Houston over other destinations on the chance of landing KD? After that that means you would have to convince Durant to play with Harden and Horford over other teams who also have convincing supporting casts? Yeah, it's not a pipe dream. It's plausible, but don't be too optimistic, man. We all hope KD comes here to Houston, but we also have to be realistic.

4. Yes, Morey has done a great job at being flexible. That's probably the thing he's best at. Making Houston flexible and having plenty of options. Durant is at the top of course, but Morey also has a lot of stuff likely mapped out as well. But just because Morey mapped out this plan not only for Durant but other targets if he misses.. that doesn't necessarily mean things are in our favor. Again, that means you are thinking for players themselves and again I ask you. Who are you to say what Durant favors? Let's be as objective(or subjective) as we can be. Last time I checked Boston could also flex their salary to offer two max contracts without losing their core players, and last time I checked Boston is better managed, better coached, and a better team today. Not to mention the only threat in that conference is Lebron. I, myself, would favor Boston more but again, that's what I think and not what Morey, Ainge, KD, Harden, or Horford think. I don't know what they think.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

What team can give KD the chance to play with another mvp caliber 1st team NBA performer besides the team he's on and the Warriors?

Nobody can

No way he chooses Boston who I admit is tailored made for a superstar to slide right in and elevate them to eastern conference power house but that superstar is not KD.

Durant imo wants to win rings and play with other stars I think he sees that all the true contenders have multiple allstar/superstar guys.

Not saying he doesn't have that in OKC but WB and him don't fit well and both want to be the number 1 guys. Sure they win a lot but that's a testament to both their talent.

Playing with JH and al Horford with ariza and bev is a lot more appealing than you are giving it credit.

And no way horford doesn't come here to Texas were he has admitted to wanting to play somewhere with a more Latin fan base, if KD tells him he's going to Houston and wants him there with Harden.

No way he turns that down to stay in Atlanta or go to any other team.

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I meant to say besides OKC Houston and the Warriors.