1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Warriors 4/27/2016 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Closer the series, the worse we look/are.

After being blown apart THREE times, we'll see the balance between GS ballin vs Rockets suckage.

2. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

He was so good last season, what happened?

3. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Did you purchase the "forex" yet? lol

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

best analysis I've seen. To me, this deserves it's own thread over the tripe currently populating garm

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Rockets get no kind words after playoff exit

It's a perfect weekend, is it not, to reflect on the three strains of thought that inevitably define every Houston sports fan's psyche.

One, of course, is the inevitability of disappointment, as defined by the Rockets' collapse against the Golden State Warriors. It's a fine mixture of resignation and, for at least a few, downright anger.

"I want to fight somebody," Root Sports Southwest studio analyst and former Rockets star Calvin Murphy groused after the Rockets' blowout loss Thursday night in Oakland. "The Rockets, point blank, should be ashamed of this effort tonight."

Another is the fact that hope never springs more eternal than on recruit signing day or the weekend of the NFL Draft, which began with Thursday night's first round and continues with coverage Friday and Saturday on ESPN and NFL Network.

And the third is the fact that, well, you just never know around here, do you, as manifested by the Astros' struggling start that is so different from the springtime 2015 acceleration that carried the team from sub-mediocrity to the American League playoffs.

The Astros still have time to recover, of course, and the draft will continue through the weekend, but there's still plenty of good rhetoric to digest over the Rockets' demise.

"When you get to this level of basketball and you can't put forth a better effort than that team-wise in a game this big, that is what disappoints me," Murphy said. "Not the loss so much. You win, you lose. But when you don't come out and put forth effort …"

He later added to game analyst Clyde Drexler, "How do you not show up, Clyde? Explain that to me. How do you not show up when it's the biggest game in the last five years?"

Play by play voice Bill Worrell, who by now has seen it all in Houston sports, summed things up thusly: "They (the Rockets) didn't look like a happy bunch. … There will be a little pressure put on the organization from the top on down to make some changes and get it right."

Over on TNT, James Harden was the primary target for Charles Barkley, Shaquille O'Neal and Kenny Smith.

"James Harden has to understand. He's a terrific offensive player, but I'm not sure I would want to play with him, because it's not fun," Barkley said. "When you play for the Golden State Warriors, you feel a part of a team. Everything's moving. You feel 'I'm going to get the ball.' Same thing with San Antonio. …

"But James Harden, he wouldn't be fun to pay with. I guarantee you I wouldn't want to go to practice every day and just watch him dribble, dribble, dribble, or come to the basket or step back and take a 3. Why am I standing out here for?"

Barkley said players such as Trevor Arriza can never get in rhythm with the Rockets because "when you get it, you're surprised you got it."

This conversation, of course, will continue into the offseason. As for the Rockets, there are other matters on the agenda, some of them involving broadcasting issues.

Presumably the Worrell-Drexler-Matt Bullard team on Root Sports Southwest will return for next year, but there could be changes. And the Rockets still must fill the vacancy for director of broadcasting in the wake of Joel Blank's dismissal during the season. That decision, however, likely won't become apparent for several weeks.

**************************​

Warriors-Rockets Game 4 on Sunday was the most-watched first-round playoff game since 2002, averaging 7.2 million viewers on ABC with a 4.5 Nielsen rating. The 20.7 Nielsen rating in San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose was the highest first-round local rating since 2003, and the 10.9 rating in Houston was the second-highest first-round rating in that period. Game 5 on Wednesday did a 1.4 rating on Root Sports Southwest and a 3.6 rating on TNT for a combined 5.0 rating in Houston.[/rQUOTEr]

6. Lightsnowaction

As bad as an idiot coach JBB was, I feel bad for him. He got an opportunity, probably of a lifetime, to show what he can do and jump start his coaching career.

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Father time, playing too many minutes, etc...

Ariza has always been a player you could count for the playoffs, but this year his performance really dropped off. In fact, you could say the same for the entire team, with the exception of Harden.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree, Ariza sucked bad, but we must not forget that he played A LOT of minutes this season, always guarding opponent's best player, game after game...

9. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Dwight should be rowing away on a canoe or life raft, the drinking fits Ty more.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden: I will come back as a better player...

I ... Super me....

What happened to "We"? I liked the old Adidas commercial better

We Basketball - IT TAKES 5

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Jesus Christ are you serious?

I hope to god you never made a single comment this previous season about Harden showing up out of shape.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't with Harden it seems.

You are an idiot. Flat out.

Every single other person in the world who supports the Rockets is glad that Harden realises he needs to be better next season.

God. Saying it once isn't enough. You are an idiot.

12. MistaK

MistaK Member

LOL so now you are mad that Harden wants to work on his game?? seriously man...

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think you watched enough.....

You could say he deteriorated a lot from last season but if you looked closer that wasn't really the case.

There were times when he played better D or he had less TOs but his way of playing has not changed.

What changed is the culture in the locker room, coaching.

I am right and you know it, role players are not comfortable with Harden and Howard.

Both should absolutely shut up to the media and start being vocal on the court. Start playing off the ball, differently. Whatever, Howard is as good as gone.

And calling someone idiot without anything more intelligent to say is like reviewing a movie without even watching it.

G'day sniper.

PS: I did not make a comment about Harden showing out of shape last season but I also did not like his playoff performance against the Clips

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope I am not mad at that, mad only that the whole season was about him or Howard.

He better say : I should start being a leader, making everyone around me better

That is the logical next step and not working on his ISO game more.

If you want to be better, be better at team game, be better at trusting those 4 guys around you, hanging out with them like you did in Howard's first season.

15. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Such like Harden will make Ariza or Brewer shoot wide open 3 at 40% instead of 15% ?????

Lololololololol

16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

you are just a Harden hater.

you only deserve to watch Kevin Martin.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Our all-access look into the <a href="https://twitter.com/warriors">@Warriors</a> Game 5 win to advance to the Western Conference Semis! <a href="https://t.co/WVhbrj5ki7">https://t.co/WVhbrj5ki7</a></p>&mdash; NBA (@NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBA/status/726116485702246400">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. rockets13champs

Everyone except a handful of clutchfans members have moved on. Im gonna try to enjoy my life and stay away from clutchfans until draft time

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I cheered for him when we got him but did not realize that he was immature all those years.

Maybe I deserve Karl Anthony Towns with ex Timberwolf Martin?

Martin is with the Spurs anyway and they are making noise in the playoffs.

I won't watch him though, got enough things on my hand. :)