1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the one skill we need most out of our starting PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, May 24, 2016.

?

Most needed skill:

1. 3 Point Shooting

47 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Defense

50 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Rebounding

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Setting GSW-style picks

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Being taller than 6'9"

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As I'm looking through the list of free agents this year and remind myself of the potential hole we'll have at the 4 next season if either Jones or DMo aren't brought back, what do you feel is the one skill, above all, that we need from our PF spot?

I know we've all wanted a big man that has 3 point range like a Ryan Anderson but what about defense, rebounding, etc? Before his injuries, DMo looked to be THE power forward we needed but he didn't have the range/accuracy/volume from 3 like Anderson does.

So going fishing for a PF this summer, what's the skill we need most out of our starting power forward spot?

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Start Micheal Beasley next to your defensive Anchor Center and roll.

1 person likes this.
  3. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Of the cuff I would have to say...

1. Strong rebounding instincts
    2. The ability to hit the open mid range jump shot
    3. Athletic enough to guard the other rangy bigs in the league
    4. A high basketball IQ
    5. The ability to hit his free throws at 70% of the tiem

Otherwise not much at all...:eek:

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

I would say OREB but Capela is already pretty good at that, so i'd say floor spacing. Needs to at least be very reliable from mid range, preferably from 3. I still wish there was a way to do a sign and trade with Dwight for KLove. Would fit both teams, especially if the Cavs lose to the Raptors. A Dwight and Thompson front line would dominate the offensive boards for them and a CAP and Love front line for us would be ideal next to Harden.

I am comfortable letting Cap get the start at C this coming season or going after Biyombo. I think resigning DMO is just fine when comes down to PF. Not many players out there that can post up, and spread the floor. Pau Gasol would be nice for a 2 year deal leading up to Hardens free agency, but he's ring chasing.

I'd rather spend our max money at PG and SF allowing Ariza and Bev to be a great defensive unit off the bench.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Exactly what Beasley gives us. Put Biyombo next to him, and watch the front court flourish.

6. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

This team needs so much. Like defense, rebounding, playmaking, and better BBIQ. You asked for the 1 skill at starting PF so with that as the only focus I'd say we need a shooter. The reason is most likely we will be running with CC at center and a vet back up. We need spacing that the big that can shoot would create. It's really hard not to choose defense after last season but I feel the backcourt and wings could regroup on defense with the right coach.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

I don't know if it was the team that gave him the green light to be a 6th man scorer and i don't remember much of Beasley as a starter on his other previous teams, but damn the guy doesn't look to pass at all as soon as he touches the ball. That does not work with Harden. He's a 1 trick pony and with enough USG and minutes, i think he could contend for 6th man of the year this coming season. I really wish he took more 3's though. Hopefully that is what he will work on all summer. He's by no means a bad 3 point shooter so i wonder why he is always so reluctant to shoot them?

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

o good lord

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Montrezl does all those things.

10. Lightsnowaction

Since Harden won't play D, you need the other 4 around him to play D, including the PF.

11. Mutombo

Mutombo Member

A young Zbo or Al Jefferson would be nice.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Depends on who the other starters are. But let's say we're going with:

Bev
    Harden
    Ariza
    ______
    Capela

In that case the Rockets will need out of their 4:

• shooting and/or playmaking
    • rebounding / defense

But since a prime KG ain't walking through that door, we'll have to settle for just one of those traits. No matter which one you pick we're screwed.

Shooting and/or Playmaking - Now we'll be the worst team in the league defensively
    Rebounding/defense - Now we are a one man band offensively

So it's a pick-your-poison thing I guess. Might as well go all offense and forsake defense, especially if Les decides on MDA.

13. seeingred

seeingred Member

well obviously we need someone who can do more than just one thing. But if he has to be "really good" at one thing, I would say defensive rebounding. DREB was one of our crippling defensive problems and that was with Dwight Howard. Capela is a much worse DREB'er so we need great rebounding from all other positions (Bev and Harden are great for their position).

Floor spacing and positional defense are important to. Would like to point out (minor note) "Spacing the floor" doesn't have to be a jump shot. Capela "spaces the floor" from 10 feet and in because he can get to the rim from that spot on the floor. Now, that's not much spacing but a PF with quickness and ball skills could do more.

14. vick

vick Member

Can run and dribble basketball without having a turnover. Yes i am talking about the whole Rockets team.Being lead by James Harden.

15. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Where's the shoot FT option?

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Montrezl is obviously our best look going forward.

17. basketballholic

We really can't answer this question until we know who our center is going to be?

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

With Dwight gone it's rebounding.

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

Blake Griffin type. I think Blake would be perfect next to James. I don't see any way of us offering anything LAC would consider but I think he'd be great (on the floor at least).

20. basketballholic

And there's the rub.