1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, May 24, 2016.

1. dwhite

dwhite Member

Does anyone know what a Steve Silas offense would look like? Watching Toronto lock down the Cleveland offense for the last 5 minutes of the game last night reminded me how important a solid offensive plan is to winning in the playoffs. Hope that the Rockets don't focus so much on defense that we totally forget about offense. This is not a plug for Dantoni, whom I can't stand, but more curiosity if anyone thinks Silas has the know how to run an effective offensive system like Adelman used to have.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Watching Toronto lock down the Cleveland offense for the last 5 minutes of the game last night reminded me how important a solid coach is to winning in the playoffs.

And Mauri chose freaking McFail over Dwane Casey.

Mediocre Murray - continuing to screw the Rockets.

3. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

McHale > Casey > Lue

Dwayne Casey has some horrible rotations but he finally made some good adjustments and lets be honest. The collect bball iq of the that Raptors team is so much higher than this Rockets team bball iq.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I agree with your sentiment about McHale but it was the other way around.

Casey chose Toronto over us - continuing to screw the Rockets..... as you put it.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What we're seeing is that, obviously, to win a championship you need to be able to lock modern offenses up, and you need to be able to out-evolve the best defensive tacticians in the league.

I don't understand this whole thing people have where they prefer one side of the ball. True contenders are top 10 on both sides of the ball in the regular season, and champions are top 3 on both sides of the ball for the playoffs.

That's why I never understood the fascination with JVG. What was going to happen when the Thunder and Raptors tighten up that defense? Is even an IMPROVED JVG offense going to overcome that? Never.

You can't win on one side, and what I like about Silas is that he seems to be very well rounded. Offense, defense, player development, people management. It remains to be seen whether he's a jack of all trades or a king of most trades, but I'm intrigued. He's seen Don Nelson and Steve Clifford coach, both coaches that stretch your offensive and defensive creativity. Meanwhile he majored in organizational behavior in college.

Just seems to be a very nice mix of skills. I would imagine his offense would look like something between Don Nelson and Morey's offense, otherwise he wouldn't be considered this seriously by the organization. The downside is, we don't have any concrete sample of how his team would be designed.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Some of his head coaching:

7 March 2012 (Q2 Onwards)

9 March 2012 (Full game)

There are apparently 10 other games he was head coach (according to this article), but I'm struggling to figure out which ones.

1 person likes this.
  7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what we're seeing is how vital quality point guard play is to a championship caliber team.

Curry, Westbrook, Irving, Lowry are allstars.

Bev, who i love and definitely has a role, is not.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Anything better than this would be an upgrade.

[​IMG]

Or holding a board and not knowing what the F to do with that blank clueless look.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's not my favorite option, but I find it unlikely we'll get a better PG than James Harden with the right coach and mentoring. Seems to be our best bet.

Bev is a perfectly capable stand around 3pt shooter.

10. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Word is that Silas's offensive concepts come from Don Nelson when he was with the Warriors so that would be the movement offense. Pace and Space is basically movement 2.0. I hear that there are differences(no Bigman Elbow Jumpers, or baseline PNR) in the way the Rockets run it vs Warriors which is why we call what the Rockets do Moreyball. Silas probably gets defense from his dad, or Steve Clifford. You do need a second dynamic ball handler to be effective preferbally a point guard. Really the more ball handlers you have the better and your bigs should be good elbow jumper shooters and passers. Not using the elbow jumper is really what hurts the Rockets in my opinon.

#10 ballplayer, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Oh my dear lord, we have all been here at one time or another. This is the look you get when their kids are better than your kids.

12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Yep, regardless of who the new coach is we have to get more capable players. More guys who can handle it and get to any spot on the court when they need to. James is probably the only perimeter player we have that can do that. None of our bigs can do it and that is a huge problem. We have to get a PF that can handle the ball from the FT line to the basket. So I wouldn't mind a new young coach to come in and grow with the team and give them a fresh voice and philosophy.

13. dwhite

dwhite Member

Mathloom, this is great stuff!!! Looks promising the first game and worrisome the second game (only 74 points). Wish we had a larger sample size to view from. My other concern is how in the #%^* is Patrick Ewing who is not known for his high intellect (i.e. John Thompson had to speak for him at Georgetown) ahead of him on the Charlotte coaching staff if he is such a gem? This is concerning. Could he be slightly overhyped or do we know more than each of the last few teams he has worked for.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Dahell are you talking about:confused:

The only adjustment he made was for Lowry to finally pull his head out of his ass and DeRozen to have career playoff games:confused:

15. anchel

anchel Member

Playoff bball comes to be more 5on5 and stagnant offense than at RS, want it or not and no matter what your natural style is. So the team more accustomed to that kind of offense during the whole year performs better at playoff time. You gotta be good executing down the stretch to win big. D'Antoni teams are good playing up-tempo but are not good executing the proper plays at the correct time.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

In fact, leaving Biyombo on Frye and allowing him to be drawn out of the paint is what allowed Cleveland to make the comeback and nearly cost them the game:confused:

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

From what I've heard of him he was a big part of the offense when he was in Golden state under Don Nelson. And not just in offense but he knew a lot about defense as well, he worked with the team viewing video tapes on how to improve on both offense and defense and practice plays with the team on both offense and defense. He was a huge factor there working with Don Nelson and improving the players. Under Steve Clifford Stephen Silas was only a player development coach but he did assist Steve Clifford on some offensive plays. But I'm sure he learned a lot from Steve Clifford, who is a good coach. I think Stephen Silas is ready to be a head coach and is what the team needs.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm resigned to not upgrading the point, simply because i think Morey does not value the position (at least he places less value on a playmaking point).

look at how much better our offense was last year when Prigioni was on the floor. and for those wondering what happened to Capela this year, once answer might be he didn't have Prigs to get him the ball in the proper position. how much happier would Howard be w/ a proper point guard?

Harden is not a good passer on the move, nor does he deliver the ball to a place that sets up the recipient for a good shot. this is particularly evident when passing in traffic, when his passes are almost uncatchable.

19. Fantasma Negro

I just spilled my glass of water laughing at this. Repped

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Gotta agree with you on this one.

If you can find a picture of McHale in his last days with us, watching the "action" on the court, one arm supporting the elbow of the second, the index finger of the second arm tap, tap, tapping his lips as he sweat through his suit, all the while knowing that he had to come up with something, anything, but incapable of doing so, and that Plans A, B, and C (have James Harden save us) were out the window.........