1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola Scout Video 2/3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Realjad, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9bWTGSlh4h0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9bWTGSlh4h0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Video is mest up and Pixally from 7:12-6:25 then clears back up. I DID NOT CHECK THIS VIDEO BEFORE UPLOADING IT, I FOUND OUT THAT ITS CUT ALOT OF MY CLIPS SHORT IM NOT SURE WHY I want to delete this video and redo it but its already posted.. o well, I'll just make sure to check Part 3 before uploading it, you guys would have loved the real version of this video.. but its a waste to re-do it and post another thread, sorry im just as mad as you :eek: :mad: :mad:
    My Other Scout Videos
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=132246
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=116880

The video is mest up from 1:05 to 1:45, it's watchable but pixally, it then clears back up. This is everything he did notable in two games from LAST MONTH. First game is from June 8th and the second is from June 10th, Games 3 and 4 of a playoff match-up. As all my scout videos it shows the good and bad, giving you the opportunity to fully scout him. My clip-capture of the second game I think was done far better then my first so make sure you watch it completely through!

My scouting Notes:

He still camps the lane, I haven't seen him get a 3 second call but he is down there for 6-7 seconds at a time. The one thing I LOVE about his game is his ability to do two things that I know will help us..
    1. He isn't selfish and only creates his own shot when asked too
    2. He scores alot, not by making his own shots but by constantly moving behind the scenes on offense and POSITIONING himself for great opportunities to get the ball and score, something we Rocket fans haven't seen from a power forward in a looonggg time. His offense is the definition of EARNING your points

His defense is still really bad, and he fouls alot.
    His rebounding is also pretty bad, he is no Chuck Hayes for being able to foretell where the ball is.. He does go for rebounds every now and then but usually turns and runs back up court before anyone has the ball... Also most of his rebounds he gets comes from the ball falling right to him.
    He still seems to have a slight balance issue but its not a big problem
    He definitely flops every now and then.. but all Argentinians do, he doesn't get carried away with it and only does it at times you'd least expect, he doesn't go overboard and he's not a b/tch about it like Dirk.
    His outside shot will be 'on' some nights and 'off' other nights, but his in-game offense will be usually 'on' all nights.
    He runs the court beautifully for a big man, honestly he is tailor-made for Adelmans system.
    His free throw isn't great by any standards, he will miss his fair share.. but vise-versa I don't think he is anywhere near being 'bad' at them. Imagine T-Macs free-throws from last season. He wasn't bad but he definitely missed his fair share.
    He is still a finessey PF guy with soft hands, but he isn't scared of contact at all.

The way he plays.. you can just imagine him being next to T-Mac and Yao.. only thing I'm worried about is rebounding, but he is still a brilliant fit with Yao and T-Mac.

Conclusion :

The updated and improved Scola is alot better then Athens. The way he plays.. you can just imagine him being next to T-Mac and Yao.. only thing I'm worried about is rebounding and defense.. more-so rebounding, but he is still a brilliant fit with Yao and T-Mac. I still don't think he will start right away, I think Hayes should start the season BUT I think Scola will earn his starting spot a quarter through or throughout half the season. I'm really siked about him.

Also I decided to do the Athens video first to see your reactions and see if any of you are let down.. then come out with this video from last month and see if you change your tune. I still think we should try to get one PF, but I think a Hayes-Scola combo is our future at that position... a RELIABLE future :cool:

If you guys really want one more Scout video covering Games 1 and 2 of that playoffs let me know, otherwise I wont take the time out and do them :p

#1 Realjad, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Earn it like Shawn Marion?

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I really liked this video. Thanks a lot. If the video from Games 1 and 2 is somewhat different from this one, then I would appreciate seeing it as well. If it's the same as this one don't bother to put it up IMO.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Thanks for the report and vid.

He is definitely a high energy guy. He looks strong and have a good PF body to me. Playing along with Yao, he wont be asked too much to create. If he can cut, attack and hustle, that's way better than anyone we could have as PF already. He is what the doctor orders for this team, a blue collar worker taller more offesive gifted than Hayes.

5. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Thanks for the hard work once again. I'm really excited about this guy and he showed a little of his mid-range shot in the video, though I don't like his unforced turnovers.

6. scola

scola Member

Thanks for the video.

But I'll say this again. You can't say he has made big improvements since Athens just because of scouting one game vs. USA in 2004 and one game against Barcelona from this season.

That game against USA was not indicative of his level of play in 2004. Those Olympics have been his best showing with the national team, he was one of the best players in the tournament.

7. Realjad

I have four Athens games, Serbia and USA was in that first vid i made so it wasnt just one game displayed there, I got 4 games(two which r in this video) of him from last month and 2 other games of him earlier in the season. I think with 10 games, 6 recent~4 older you can get a pretty solid judgment of a player. I was just ganna cover 6 of those games in the scout videos though.

8. scola

scola Member

Well then, why made you think Scola wasn't his usual self in the Olympics or didn't do well vs. better competition, when he was the second best player of the gold medal team and received votes for the best player of the tournament?

His game didn't have big changes between 2004 and today.

9. Realjad

I didn't think he was as fluid as he is now, he turned it over alot from what i saw in the olympics. We have Yao, Yao puts up major numbers but he turns it over alot so we have first hand expierence of how hurtful turning the ball over is.. In the international game, turning it over hurts even more then in the NBA. He seemed as if he didn't have his mind made up on alot of his possessions whether it was nerves or whatnot. Obvisoley he wasnt terrible or they wouldn't of moved him to the 2nd string team to help them out because they were terrible and needed a boost.. I just don't think he played as well as he does now or as good as he is now.. yet remember at in 2004 he was still considered the best foreign player on the NBA... and still maintains that today.. which means by no means he was no slouch at athens.

10. scola

scola Member

About him being a substitute with the national team. That was always the case with our previous coach (Magnano), who wanted to make the bench stronger (just like Popovich with Ginobili in the Spurs).

With the new coach after the Olympics, he gets to start with Oberto.

He averaged more than 17 pts a game (a lot in FIBA) with good fg % in the Olympics. Including an impressive 25 pts and 11 rbs performance in the final.

Just to show that there weren't big changes in his game since those Olympics:

Scola in the ACB League. Both in the 2004-05 and 2006-07 seasons he was chosen MVP.

2004-05

29.1 min, 18.5 pts, 62% 2pts, 6.6 reb, 2.1 ast, 1.6 stl, 1.1 blk.

2006-07

29.6 min, 16.9 pts, 60% 2pts, 7.1 reb, 2.4 ast, 1.7 stl, 0.6 blk.

11. thecity5

thecity5 Member

it looks like he improved his shot.if he rebounds and plays better defense he'll be perfect...hopefuly the chuck wagon will help him with that.

12. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Scola will exhaust the PF defending him or score easily near the hole. I believe if Boozer faces him, Boozer will never have a game like what he has played in play off against Rockets.

13. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

it's an honest portrayal of his talent level

he moves well and plays hard, but obviously his athleticism is not up there with the starting forwards of the NBA ...

I like the way he plays though; if the rockets play the way it looks like they're going to start playing based on the personnel changes, it should be an exciting game to watch ....

14. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Good lord. That kid's gonna foul out on moving screens. :)

15. Adelman

Adelman Member

thanks for the videos realjad, nice work. Ive enjoyed the 1/3 and both of them are great.

if u dont mind i would also like to see the vids of game 1 and 2, only if u got time.

16. Realjad

Thanks for the feedback again

I'm GOING to do another one of games 1 and 2.. This one is going to be ALOTTT better then these last two. The way I clip the videos in part 3 will be smooth and you will have a chance to watch the play from beginning to end instead of just seeing that specific moment. It will just be alot better on the eyes then part 2. I've finished half of it so far.. I'll have it posted either later tonight or tomorrow. I promise part 3 wont be as annoying as this one with the pauses and clips cut short, also part 3 should be higher quality. Anyways, thanks for the feedback you all

17. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Scola will start right away,Adelman has a thing about having 5 guy's that can put the basketball in the basket as well as move the basketball. Scola reminds adelman of guy's like peja and vlade and the other international guy's he has coached. Scola will start no more undersized power forwards in the starting lineup at this time.

18. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Scola will be the real deal, he will compete against the big dudes out west and he is a good fit to what the rockets want to do as a team.The rockets will be title contenders this season coming up.The rockets have a tradition of big guy's playing in the NBA finals with moses,sampson, dream and now yao. Rick adleman is on a mission to win a championship and nothing less. He has been to 2 NBA finals and he was robbed in game 6 of the western conference finals 2002 playing the zebras.The rockets will be real good team,the addition of scola brings the glue to what adelman wants to do in the TEAM concept. Scola brings another unselfish player into the fold,the rockets will be difficult to defend while at the same time still keeping defensive principles that jeff van gundy laid down defensively.The rockets have a good mix of everything from the GM all the way doown. They have carroll dawson a old guy with a world of knowledge helping yao demand his low popst position,You had dream helping yao on how to be quick and use his God given tools to dominate with his mind. You got TR.dunn and eltson turner who are roll player assistant coaches,they are guy's who are down with the coaches game plan. You have sickma a guy who was a 7 time all star and a player who won a NBA title who is here to help yao's game and doesn't think he knows it all and wants to learn from adelman.

You need a mixture of things from morey all the way down and right now we are seeing this being built.

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

okay I feel sorry for those refs. Those guys fall on the floor every time down the court!! LOL

Thanks again for the video Realjad.

You can see that he has raw talent. I am excited to see what he does next to Yao and Tracy (hopefully he stops falling on the floor so much! :D ) 3

Lord is it October yet?

20. Queeni

Queeni Contributing Member

Great job, Realjad. It really makes our fans to realistically look at him. I totally agree with your conclusion. He has good offense (I won't say great at this moment), but his defense and rebound are my concerns. He won't be able to guard Boozer or pull down rebounds as Hayes does. Rockets may still need do some work on the PF position.