1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2016 Offseason Pre-Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 10, 2016.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

One team that can have great interest in Llull is Memphis if Gasol can vouch for him...especially if Conley is going to bolt. Not sure what we can ask back though...i think Adams is interesting, but with Harden...

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Great write-up as always Bima.

Is it me or does this team feel miles away from contending? It feels like we took miles worth of steps backwards. Pipe dreams of Durant are just that. And we don't have a single other player on the roster I feel good about other than Harden (and there's questions).

This is looking like a long road to redemption; we should avoid the temptation of the quick fix and do this right. It's time to rebuild through the draft and build a real core. The idea that we are gonna piece together a contending team through free agency, and that it will be a legit contending team, is almost laughable at this point.

It's time to get real. It's time for a full rebuild.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

above mediocrity ensues

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That it was, the SnT, in place. That suggests an agreement in principle, at least, with the Po'landers.

5. Asian Sensation

We would need to land 2 out of the top 4 UFA (Durant, Whiteside, Conley, Horford) to at least have a shot. We're certainly not getting 2 out 4. I think there's a small chance we could get Conley or Horford but do you wanna pay either guy the Max without a 3rd star? A Harden/Conley or Harden/ Horford combo would need some spectacular role players around them and a top notch coach and even then we're probably floating around 5th place.

The good news is we have space, the bad news is we have too many holes to fill and there's a limited supply of players that can "move the needle" which we have a realistic shot at obtaining.

We have no starting PG, SF, PF or C (assuming Dwight's not returning) or head coach. The HC situation is a bit of a concern as well especially with names like Cassell and Kenny the Jet being thrown around. Both them guys are Rocket legends and if either get the gig i'd want them to succeed but it won't be easy considering the makeup of the current players/talent or lack thereof.

Outside of a miracle (Durant coming) were going to be mediocre at best and if you're expecting big moves you'll likely be disappointed.

With Harden set to hit free agency in 2018 I'd strongly consider blowing it up now rather than later. We're not winning anything in the next couple years and you might as well see what you can get for him now while he's young and healthy but the bigger concern of course would be losing him for nothing.

1 person likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who needs Bobby Marks when you have Bima?! :p

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/summer-agenda--houston-rockets-142211981.html

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just had to quote this, Bima. It describes our season perfectly. Great column! I think this might be the first time in the 14 years I've posted here that I thought we'd be better off tanking at the end and keeping the pick. I'm usually too optimistic, if anything. That 1st round draft pick would have been another trading chip to toss into the Rockets' pot of stew to cook up a good off-season, if we didn't use it.

The 2015-16 Houston Rockets season may go down as among the most disappointing, aggravating and just plain awful seasons in Houston sports history. For us diehard Rockets fans, this season felt like a long series of gut-punches. While getting a lone playoff victory over Golden State was nice and all, many felt that Houston’s elimination from the playoffs (4-1) was like a mercy killing.

8. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

We really should have tanked and gone for the lottery rather than a first round exit.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

[​IMG]

10. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i don't get why there's still a possibility of re-signing T. Jones..just let him go and let Harrell develop

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We so poorly mismanaged Jones and DMo. One of them should have been traded along time ago. It was never sustainable to try and develop both at the same time. It has been obvious for a long time, but again morey overvalued those assets and we'll get nothing for them in the end.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So I have a question. Probably only for like BimaThug or Clutch...

When a player signs a max contract, that amount is a "percentage" of a value that is closely associated with the cap. Also, currently if a player signs say a rookie extension, and meets the requirements for a the "5 year rookie 30% extension", his contract increases even though he signed the extension prior to meeting those requirements.

So, do players sign max contracts that state a percentage to be earned or a total amount to be earned?

Could they sign one with a percentage to be earned instead that would allow their salary to increase proportionally when the total salary cap jumps as it will in 2016 and 2017?

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would rather give 15-16 M a yr to Ezeli than 25 M to Horford. Al is better than him, but not at that price.

Try to get Seth Curry from the Kings, and Hill from Indiana. I hope someone will take Brewer so the Rockets can get more cap room. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Other guys I like are Jerebko, Marvin Williams and Crabbie. All hard to obtain, but Morey should try his best to get quality role players and semi-stars.

Don't go after Harrison Barnes. I like Batum too, but not at the max. No to Ryan Anderson too.

#54 saleem, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

"True" max deals are based on the applicable percentage of the salary cap in the first year of the contract. However, annual raises are capped at 4.5% (or 7.5% if signed with Bird rights) on the first year's salary amount. This means raises are based on a set dollar amount known at the commencement of the contract, not a percentage of an increasing cap.

Hope that helps.

16. malakas

malakas Member

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

18. Ratman

Ratman Member

Ill take Batum and Horford with a departure of Howard. Horford can play the 5 and 4 at times and can provide some good offense downlow and when he does play the 4 he can stretch the floor with capela in the middle.ill also take batum because the dude can play some good defense, can shoot the 3 well.( i believe 36% which was a down year but he also wasnt on a great team.) he's a smart passer, something we need outside of harden and can finish a ton better than ariza and ariza cant even shoot the 3 anymore. Dont get me wrong ill take him off the bench but the guy fell off. Batum can somewhat get his own shot ( something this team lacks, yes harden is great but this team thinks hes going to get them open or something. (Brewer, ariza in particular.) and as i said, he makes good choices and having him as a wing defender and scorer which we havent had one since parsons left and imo hes definitely better in both aspects. Resign d-mo. Thats a horford capela dmo 4/5 rotation in the playoffs with another guy thrown in every once in a while ( beasley at the 4?) then batum/beasley/ariza at the 3. Then harden/brewer at the 2. And pat bev and some pg that can shoot to back him up. I think thats a 53 win team.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Why are so many trying to shoot low for our future Houston Rockets Team.
    I would like to see..........
    KEVIN Durant............Hassan Whiteside.......Mike Conley......... Nicholas Batum

OR

Al Horford..................Bismark Biyombo................KENT Bazemore
    ADDITIONAL POSSIBILITIES

Gerald Henderson......Arron Afflalo........Ryan Anderson...........Courtney Lee
    SHOOT FOR THE TOP FIRST Y:p

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Give me Horford and Barnes all day... Want no part of Whiteside (aka Baby D12 in the head).