1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

draft getting deeper and deeper

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by peleincubus, Apr 23, 2005.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Two more UNC players have declared for the draft. Giving us a shot at at maybe getting a better player with our pick.

The rockets pick is pretty low this year but as i see it that will probably get even lower next year and for the years to come. So this will come to probably the best time to land a future starter. Especially if the implement an age limit on the draft.

Maybe we could even use next years first rounder and move up in this years class. Even though that might be hard if this is considered a deep class.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think this is the motherload for the next 3 years. Not a lot of great players but an abundance of good players who will contribute and a few will become stars.

I don't think we can move up to get Bogut and besides him, you can put all the rest of the 4s in a barrel, and shoot one. There's not a lot to distunguish between them. I personally feel that Turiaf is the 2nd best PF in this draft but Marvin Williams and Sean May could turn out to be better. May scares me with his weight and height. He's got great skills but I question whether he will break down in a couple years. Marvin Williams is still too young and inexperienced to really get a handle on. To me, the Euros look mostly overrated, no real bangers there. And I think Taft has bust written all over him. I would not be willing to move up to grab any of these guys, unless we could move up with expiring contracts and not give up anything really. Then again, I feel that we have just as good a chance to get a player at our spot that has the potential to be a better player than the player drafted #2.

Outside of that, I think this draft is deep enough that I wouldn't mind CD trading down for a couple #2's, especially if Turiaf or Graham is gone. If we could get one #2 at the top of the board, then we could still possibly pick up Turiaf/Simien and we could use the 2nd #2 to add either a 3 or 1. Looks like Jarrett Jack is slipping. He's a winner. Julius Hodge is slipping to the bottom of the 2nd round. I'd take a flyer on him.

I think Joey Graham has the potential to become a sane, poor man's, Ron Artest. I sure would be tempted to pick him up if he is there at our pick.

Prediction: This draft will have more second round players that make NBA rosters and contribute than any draft before.

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I agree in that I would encourage CD to trade future draft picks (especially picks for the next two seasons) to get more picks for this year. Maybe like two future second-rounders for a second-rounder this year.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I agree with Jopa.......Turriaf looks like the legit #2 PF in terms of quality imho. Bogut is a center though and Marvin will play SF in the NBA.

5. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

totally agree about those two. Also, I'd take Kennedy Winston early in the second round if he's available. He carried Bama at times this year.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I beginning to come around on Hakim Warrick. He is beginning to grow on me and I am convinced he will be a great pro in the right system.

Talking about Hodge, Winston, Azubuike, et al we will not have a chance at them despite the likelihood that they will be second rounders. The reason is that we do not have a second rounder (we gave ours to NY as compensation for signing JVG). I would love to make a deal to land a second round pick in this draft because I believe we could steal a quality player with it.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Don't we get a second round pick from the Kincks for the MoT / Vin Baker Moochie deal?