1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden vs His opponents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

First off, i'm still excited about the fact that we have Harden donning Rockets Red and our future sure looks bright!

Anyway, i'm not a stats guy and i'm guessing most of our fellow Rockets fans have noticed and probably wondered..

How many points per game are James Harden's opponents/defensive assignments averaging against him so far this season?

Not complaining about his lack of interest, effort, and what not on the defensive end since we wouldn't even be winning games if not for his scoring and playmaking abilities. Just thought it would be interesting to see how much those guys are scoring on him. ;)

Anyone?

2. pnr

pnr Member

Honestly for him to elevate his game is for him to put effort in on the defensive end. Until he does that-no matter who is on the roster-the team will not be able to win a championship.

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

^ This! Exactly why i started this thread, hoping it would be a popular topic of conversation among Rockets fans to the point that it would somehow reach James Harden and inspire him to play some good defense. :grin:

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

You can't realisticly ask Harden to play defense consistently. He's already playing 40 minutes a game, while carrying the scoring load. He cant expend his energy on the defensive side as well.

That's why Parsons is here. He was a great perimeter defender last year, this year no so much. Parsons is focusing too much on scoring, which is great but his defense has suffered.

5. pnr

pnr Member

This really is no excuse. There needs to be a balance of offense and defense. If Harden scored a little less but his defense improved, he would still be producing on the same level as he is now and impacting the team the same way with wins. All the superstars in the league play good defense.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is Harden like our SG version of Kyrie Irving?

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Yes, Harden needs to step up his defense for this team to go anywhere... But I am truly believing that his bad defense is not because of a lack of skill, but a lack of effort - possibly even coach told him to give it all on offense and slide by on defense.

When we have more real scorers Harden needs to step it up on defense. He doesn't have to be a lockdown defender but just average. And I am pretty sure he can do that...

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

Is Harden as bad defensively as Kyrie? Cause if he is that a grand accomplishment. Kyrie is the worst defender in the NBA I think. Definitely the worst at his position. Damian Llilard is second worst. The two of them are both worse than Nash which is saying something.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Parsons can't guard 2 players at the same time. I'm not asking for Harden to consistently put a lock on his defensive assignments. Even just a little more effort would suffice. Most of the time, it seems like he isn't even trying to stay on his man. Doesn't fight through screens or even stay toe to toe with em.

Is it really because he exerts all of his energy on offense that he has nothing left on D? See, one player who has been bad on defense this season as well is Kobe Bryant but you could make a case because he's leading the league and scoring and he is 34 years old but i don't see why Harden can't play any better on defense even with this current roster surrounding him.

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Oh God, no. Harden is actually a pretty good defender whenever he tries. The issue here isn't his defensive skills/capabilities, its mainly about his effort and commitment on D.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As I said.

His man defense is passable.

It is his team defense. You'll often see him ball watch and completely lose his guy too often.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I was asking honestly, because I don't get to watch Rockets games much except for highlights provided through the GARM.

And I thought defense was pure effort and not much skill needed? Hence that only means that Kyrie is extremely lazy on defense... at least by my theory.

13. loveofthegame44

This is the transformation that stars take. He is a super star in training and when as the team gets built and more responsibility for winning games and play off series come he will focus more on defense. he is finding out how to carry this team on his back.

14. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Did minutes play stop MJ or Kobe from being elect on all-NBA defensive teams.

Anybody reminder Dominique Wilkins - highlight scoring machine, but no rings to show for?

It's up to the coach to tell Harden that he needs to be 2 way superstar if wants to win championships.

15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

This is exactly what he does. It happened a lot last night against the Clippers as well.

16. Asian Sensation

That's some BS. You look at some of the greatest swingman in the game and they're the greatest because they played both sides of the ball. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Clyde Drexler, Kobe Bryant, LeBron, Wade etc. Those guys played or are currently playing extended minutes over the course of many many seasons. Not just 35 games or so.

In order for James Harden to take his game to the next level and truly become a Superstar he needs to elevate his game on the defensive side of the ball. It doesn't do much good if you score 25 and then give up another 20. This is what separates LeBron James from say Carmelo Anthony. There are of course many other things but you ask someone what the biggest difference between those two guys are and it's DEFENSE.

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Oh and by the way, i haven't missed a single Rockets game so far this season. Yes, i start and finish all our games even on blowouts. :grin:;)

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

Dwade had to play defense to win a champ. So did LBJ. They're not called superstars for nothing. Harden has yet to reach that level.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Couldn't resist LOL..

Marco M ‏@newagerocket

"@JHarden13 You are a beast, you know that right? And we all love having you in HOU. One request though, can you start playing some defense?"

20. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Hello Carmelo every year but this one?