1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kobe Bryant] Have you had a change of heart?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MystikArkitect, Jun 4, 2008.

?

How do you feel about Kobe?

1. I've always liked him.

42 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. I used to like him, now I hate him.

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Used to hate him, now I like him.

41 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I've always hated him, and always will.

56 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. MystikArkitect

This is a question to those out there, Kobe lovers and haters alike, because with this guy it doesn't seem to be any middle ground. You either hate him, or you like him.

I hated Kobe for forever. I don't know if it was because he was with the Lakers or because he was team mates with Shaq whom I still have a strong dislike for. I pointed the finger at him during the Colorado scandal, dismissed his 81 points as paltry because it was against the Raptors, laughed when they got bounced out of the playoffs, and would constantly call him a ball hog. I downplayed Kobe as much as anyone.

However.

I'm actually rooting for him this Finals. I'm rooting for him to do good. I think it's ridiculous to compare him to Jordan as some have, and I do agree that he may be the closest thing we'll ever come to his Airness (I'm going on record to saying King James will NOT be as good as Kobe throughout the entire length of his career) in the modern game. I'm not sure if it's the way he carries himself nowadays, but I distinctly remember when the All-Star game was here how hard he tried to win T-Mac the MVP that year, and that changed a lot of what I thought about the guy. He's the single most controversial player the NBA has, and may probably ever have. He's scrutinized to death by everyone, including his own city. But what he's done is admirable, and I know the Gasol trade helped a lot, but it's Kobe's will that wins games for these Lakers. A will that no one else in this league has. There's not even a close second.

So there you have it. I'm rooting for him. I'm going for the Lakers to win this championship mainly because I think Kobe deserves it. I never thought I'd hear myself say that. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

2. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Considering the Grizzlies have practically handed this championship to the Lakers I can't help but feel pretty bitter about it. I agree with alot of what you say, but I just can't bring myself to cheer for him.

Plus, I think if anyone deserves a ring it's Garnett. He has alot of flaws but that guy is is as dedicated a player as I've ever seen.

3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I hate Kobe because he's a Laker. I don't know why everyone seems to want the Lakers to win (besides the Lakers being a superior team). And the Gasol trade further cements my hatred of the Lakers. I don't care that the Lakers are in the West and I don't care that Kobe "deserves" the championship. Nothing will please me more than seeing the Lakers getting beat down just like they did in 2004.

I'm also a Garnett fan. Garnett may be an ass (why are people saying this now?), but he's someone who deserves the ring just as much as Kobe does.

That being said, I respect him as a player. I'm amazed at how good he is compared to everyone else. It pains me just how far T-Mac and Kobe really are. He's still a prima donna, but at least he's nowhere near Shaq's level. But it wouldn't surprise me if he goes b****ing the next time the Lakers get bounced in the first round.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Need the option of "other".

I used to like him when he first came. Hated him when I see him getting arrogant. Sympathized with him for his off the court issues, then liked him again recently.

5. snc

snc Member

You have forced me out of lurker mode to say STOP THE ****ING KOBE THREADS

Stop. The Kobe threads.

Stop the ****ing Kobe threads.

6. sook

sook Rookie

WOW THIS HAS TO BE THE 329042390482348 KOBE THRED!

7. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

change of heart?? it's not personal, he's not your ex-boyfriend, i hope nobody here uses their heart when evaluating him. he's not who i would pick to have a beer with, but you've got to be stubborn, and ignorant to the game of basketball, if you can't see Kobe's skill.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

This is the wrong board.

And by wrong board I mean move it to a Lakers forum. Along w/ 50% of the NBA Dish.

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

one of the reasons i defend the guy:

i used to hate him. bad.

but leave his arrogance out of the picture and what you have one of the best perimeter players to ever set foot on a basketball court.

he won me over in about 1999? (i think) awhile after he stopped shooting air balls in the playoffs. i used to always root against him.

and then... i don't know. i saw how many games he won and how many times he'd KILL his opponent and i stopped hating. i was amazed. he's just too good to hate.

it's hard to find rocket fans who can appreciate the guy.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Oh great idea by putting a thread about kobe, we needed one of those, because we dont have a kobe thread since yesterday. :rolleyes:

Oh and BTW I always hated him, first I dont hated him, I just thought he was on a different team, but know I hate him, he is such an arrogant people.

Well, maybe the only time I was not hating him was on the dunk contest like in 1997, because its was only the decent dunker there.

11. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

Never liked him, never hated him. It's all respect.

12. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Hated him for a long time but am indifferent to him now. My hate is now shifted to all the Kobe fanboys that we have here.

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I used to be ambivalent; now I hate him due to the daily Kobe Love threads in this forum.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

My respect for Kobe has gone up recently as my respect for Shaq has gone down.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The more Kobe threads I see here, the more I hate him.

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I respect Kobe the basketball player but hate Kobe the (smug, egotistical, adulterer) human being. The two are divorced from each other. Being able to put the round ball into the hole thingee better than anyone else this year does not make him a better person. Thus, no change of heart here.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Non of the above :p

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He always had great skills and toughness on the court but he is still an arrogant guy,I never hated the guy but I don't like him at all. The NBA is trying to mend his image but it doesn't change anything for me.

19. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

kobe kobe kobe kobe.

see above statement for questions/answers.

20. JD2010

JD2010 Member

rockets fans hate him because we have the poor mans version of him on our team lol