1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revealing stats that should get you excited

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Aug 26, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

All credit to zeeshan2 for the article in the Harden MVP thread, but check it out:

1) we finally got guys who can knock down wide open shots!!

3PM-A on wide open coverage
    Eric Gordon 64-140 (45.7%)
    Ryan Anderson 80-174 (46.0%)
    Trevor Ariza 96-226 (42.5%)
    Patrick Beverley 52-120 (43.3%)
    Jason Terry 35-92 (38.0%)
    Marcus Thornton 25-65 (38.5%)
    Corey Brewer 34-118 (28.8%)

And how bad our guys last year were...even though Terry wasn't that bad, an increase of 7-8 % wise is huge! Remember all those times Harden got double teamed and passed it off for an open shot? Now there's guys who can knock it down, besides the 2 who benefited the most and were our best shooters:

2) The myth that Dwight didn't get the ball enough and how some believed he was supposedly willing to do whatever:

Also Capela getting more shots out of the pick and roll on those limited minutes is very telling. Not exciting enough? Ok there's more:

3) Harden is a great creator!

3 people like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The Howard stat is very telling. I'm a fan of Howard but he just doesn't seem to 'get it'. I always appreciate a player who is willing to let his role on the team come to him, rather than vice versa.

If this team can 'gel' like that this season, they'll out-perform expectations.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good stuff. Thanks!

4. bmd

bmd Member

I'm excited about this season. Their offense is going to be really good.

This is the first time they have a roster where they really have the shooters to take full advantage of their style of play.

Then add to that the fact that Dwight isn't there to dribble the ball off his foot after he demands the ball in the post. Capela can be what the Rockets wanted Dwight to be in his style of play.

You have big men that can pass from the high post in Nene and Motiejunas (assuming he's here).

The offense will be one of the best in the league.

And as bad as they were last season defensively, they were only 21st even though it felt like they were dead last. If Bzdelik can improve the D and get the guys to buy in, and their offense can help their D, then there's no reason why they can't have a middle of the pack defense at worst. That's only moving up 6 spots to 15th. No reason why they can't do that.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

More revealing stats:

Eric Gordon games played last 5 years: 9, 42, 64, 61, 45
    Ryan Anderson: 61, 81, 22, 61, 66

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Thanks for the love; really appreciate it

1 person likes this.
  7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Great to see something positive on this site. repped.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not to rain on the parade, but . . .

#1 assumes the future will be like the past. Exhibit A: Ty Lawson. So don't count those chickens until after we've turned the corner.

#2. Way to work in the Dwight-bashing. It's been a long summer and I've missed the negativity. :rolleyes:

#3. if you're suggesting Harden is God, then you're going just a bit too far don't you think? Exhibit B: those new Harden shoes. Sometimes creators really should just follow. :grin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PDEh-FrfSfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

but yes, the stats are cause for cautious optimism.

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Excellent. One of the great errors of the past couple years was pairing an excellent three-point shot creator and a willingness to fire away with guys who couldn't make open shots.

Offense should be great. Defense will determine whether the team as a whole is successful or just a fun .500 team.

10. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Someone make a James harden hype video again please!!

My body is ready!

11. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Very revealing. I personally believe they both could have played more games some of those seasons if they played for a team they felt was going somewhere.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I honestly thought it was worse

13. napalm06

Terrence Jones last 4 years games played:
    19, 76, 33, 50

Motiejunas last 4 years games played:
    44, 62, 71, 37

Similar totals, and I don't consider either of those guys to be fully damaged goods. Physically, anyways.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I wasn't saying that those guys are damaged goods, I'm just extra weary of counting on guys with questionable injury history to be major contributors. Rockets fans should know this after the Yao/T-Mac era and how frustrating that was. Nothing sucks more than having high hopes only to have your key players get hurt year in, year out.

15. napalm06

True. But all I can do for now is try to find a silver lining. :cool:

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight quit on the team last year, and getting rid of him for Capela is a HUGE upgrade.

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its always nice to see your team hit wide open threes. i miss that feeling.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL at so called rox fans here defending quitters and cancers and bashing the rockets' best player since Hakeem

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So it's ok to bash some Rockets but not others.

Who decides?