1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Well he either is or he isn't.... Not a very bold prediction....

2. basketballholic

Oh? How many are predicting it?

3. dmoneybangbang

Even bolder.... going against the herd.... :eek:

4. dmoneybangbang

I can already see 'Holic having his copied, pasted, and ready in the unlikely chance he or she is right.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Capspace doesn't really matter because Landry's salary was well under the MLE. Every team had an MLE, or equivalent capspace. But only one, Charlotte, gave it to him, and only a partial MLE at $3m of the $5.8-ish full MLE that year.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rybo 2.0 plays smart, good height for a PF and is an elite shooter, that alone is probably worth above average salary.

Today's contract numbers may have gone up that does not mean the players were that much better than 3 or 5 years ago.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Even that seems high to me for a total gamble but I guess it's the price of doing business these days. I don't think anybody knows if he can play at the NBA level anymore and certainly it seems like other teams don't as nobody's given him an offer sheet and we haven't heard anything about him working out for anyone. Maybe it's happening way on the down low though it would make a lot of sense for him to make noise if it were happening.

Seems like Detroit, fairly or not, really did hurt his value though.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Until they clear waivers, which they will.

9. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

i really want to believe that you have good sources giving you good info and theres some snt agreement already in place but i feel like mda is factoring dmo into his plans for next season

10. elainas

elainas Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Let's get that work in !!! <a href="https://t.co/D3IQwIkDCF">pic.twitter.com/D3IQwIkDCF</a></p>&mdash; Donatas Motiejunas (@DonatasMot) <a href="https://twitter.com/DonatasMot/status/771379960866938880">September 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. heypartner

So, how exactly does that play out where player and team agree to a contract but wait months in order to first see if they can execute a SnT for the good of both player and team.

Player is completely risking getting screwed by other team, "Other team: Hey, Morey, let's do this SnT where we all win, but we don't want DMo at that price." Morey then takes the trade to DMo and BJ, who agree that the new team would let him start, so Win Win, but Morey explains the bad news about the salary offer.

Then DMo is back at square one choosing the other team's Offer, Morey's terms or the QO. Any SnT has an atomic transaction between DMo and the new Team. They won't overpay just to help Morey match salaries or something like that.

basketballholic is trying to tell us a SnT makes everything different. No it doesn't. It still comes down to an offer from the 3rd team. And that offer becomes extra complicated, as BimaThug explained, because DMo is what used to be called a "base-year compensation" player.

bottomline: no one will sit happily this long on promises from a GM, with no injury insurance, etc, especially when searching for a 3rd team. There is no 3rd Team needing to wait for CBA reasons anymore. So, everyone is just shopping around, with no secure promises.

#1471 heypartner, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  12. omgTHEpotential

:confused:

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Isn't training camp in September? Is is unusual to not have RFA signed by this point? I really enjoy Dmo's game and would love to see him stay with the team.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Unusual but not unheard of. When the money dries up in free agency after the first few weeks of free agency, some players are stuck really just negotiating against their current team. Just like any negotiation, you need a deadline to get one side to budge off their offer to get the deal done. The deadline here is probably media day/training camp, and the date where the Rockets would be rescinding their QO. So probably three or four more weeks.

15. heypartner

I agree on the "deadline." But you keep saying Rockets will rescind the QO and make DMo an unrestricted free agent. It's speculation on your part to say that. It's very unlikely they rescind the QO, right before it expires. That's unprecedented, and rather stupid of Morey to do.

16. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

its seems vry counterintuitive (as you said unprecedented) that nothing has happened for dmo in months, no rumors, nothing but theres some big offer behind the scenes thats just waiting to be signed for whatever reason.

im a fan of giving anyone including the 'holic the benefit of the doubt so stranger things have happened. but cant figure out why if demand is low price would be high.

only thing i can possibly dream up is that some team is giving him an offer dependent on him proving his health along with the time to do it. which is why hes spending the summer in same spot he rehabbed his back. but that doesnt really make sense

based on history morey is letting a rfa play the market to set the value. feels like its going to come back in an area where the rockets feel comfortable

all i know is that mda has said forward looking things about dmo

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hollic has never been right once, on any inside source, he is the Spaghetti man, tosses everything against the wall and claims what sticks.

He has no inside sources - or if he does they are feeding him incorrect information consistently.

DD

18. alethios

alethios Member

If you keep repeating the same lie, you become convinced yourself that it's the truth.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I didn't mean they would rescind. Only that there is a deadline for teams to do so.... Which is sort of a fake deadline from what I can tell. I just wanted yuk point out that there is some sort of deadline needed to bring people to the table in any negotiation.

20. heypartner

It's the date when the QO expires. It's not usually referred to as a "deadline to rescind." They refer to it as the "deadline to sign the QO." So, yes, I suppose it is technically the deadline to rescind, since it expires and goes away. But who does that, when you can keep him as an RFA after expiration, as long as you don't rescind it a day before.

Rescinding is only used to clear the cap hold to use for something else. It's the same as rescinding Bird Rights on a UFA.

The threat of the deadline is that DMo might sign the QO. But essentially cutting him for nothing, is in no way as good as him signing the QO...thus saying deadline to rescind is not really properly explaining why the deadline gets ppl negotiating...imo.