1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GS Warriors - Least Respected Champion since Rockets?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SKTTLZ, Oct 19, 2015.

1. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

Looking back in the past 25 years, there have been 10 different teams winning the championship and it seems that none have been under the amount of scrutiny than the Rockets and Golden State Warriors.

The Rockets' championships are tainted by Michael Jordan leaving the league to play baseball, and the masses believe that had he stayed in the league that MJ and the Bulls would have 8 rings. Oh and by the way, Vernon disagrees.

On the other hand, the Warriors' championship are tainted by the path they took and great health. You've all heard what the Clippers are saying about Golden State winning, Kyrie thinks the Cavs would be crowned champs had they stayed healthy. And our own, James Harden, had something to say about Steph winning MVP. Let's not forget these guys won 67 games by an average margin of victory of 10.

Other past champions include:

Miami Heat -

There's Flash's Heat, led by a young guard from Chicago who was a joy to watch that reminds us of another guard that played for Chicago. The roster was filled by veterans who you wanted to see finally get their ring. DA,'Zo, and Payton (Walker and Williams to a lesser degree). Of course, they had Shaq.

Then there's the "Big 3" Heat, though there was plenty of hatred for this team there was no shortage of respect. I acknowledge that LeBron had plenty of help, but you can't deny how great he played in his tenure there. He's the greatest right now, and DWade still had flashes of...Flash?

San Antonio Spurs -

Spurs are a classy organization, you didn't hear one word from them about GSW's path to win (my bad, if I'm mistaken). Seeing them evolve from David Robinson shouldering the load, to a dump-it-to-the-post to Tim/Defensive minded team, to a beautiful flowing offensive team just shows how great a coach Pop is. They've been the most feared team to face in the playoffs for the last 10 years or so. No shortage of respect here.

Detroit Pistons -

This team could be considered a disrespected team, but many gave credit where credit was due when it was over. Lakers were the favorite with their addition of Malone and Payton, but team ball and defense won the hearts of the viewers.

L.A. Lakers -

Storied franchise, Shaq/Kobe, Kobe/Pau/Lamar, no need to waste time here.

Boston Celtics -

Storied franchise, Big 3, people love the Leprechaun.

Dallas Mavericks -

Rick Carlisle's flow offense was a joy to watch. Dirk was at maybe the last of his legs, and JKidd was about done. Many were routing for the Heat to lose, making temporary Mavs fans. (myself included)

Chicago Bulls -

GOAT - MJ.

Agree or disagree?

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is the dawn of the Age of the Haters. Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook have given voices to complete morons who are too busy coming up with their next "HOT TAKE" to actually bother to see how idiotic they sound.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Lump them in with the Patriots.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't see the connection between Harden saying he thought he was the regular season MVP and him disrespecting the Warriors' championship. One has nothing to do with the other.

5. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Gsw was great no doubt. Phoenix Suns 04-05 level offensively with killer defense. They absolutely deserved the win.

I just don't like them jumping around like children all the time. They're annoying. Plus it's weird how some people argue that having kyrie and love out didn't matter that much. Huh? I've even heard some analysts imply that having them both out was actually a plus for the cavs.

It's just true that the warriors had a golden road to the chip last year. I don't see what the point is in arguing otherwise. Good for them that they won but they should stop denying that they had amazing fortune

6. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I don't see much disrespect. Maybe the usual saltiness from rival players/teams but the media was on the bandwagon early on and never let up, right down to declaring that Curry may be the forerunner to a greater, more highly evolved and profoundly adorable form of humanity.

I think the Spurs spent a lot of years getting no respect for their accomplishments. Their first few championships were accompanied by asterisks like "won in a strike season", "Duncan fears Shaq", "they're just so BORING", "well, someone had to win this year, I guess...", etc. It's only been in the last three or four seasons that people realized that they must be really freaking good to still be so good after so many years.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Very true. Seeing the Warriors b**** and moan about being disrespected is incredibly annoying. They sound like a bunch of children whining because everyone isn't simply bowing down to them. They sound like they need some kind of inspiration to play this season. The Rockets weren't complaining when they truly were disrespected.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It's weird, because I actually think like the Rockets 93-95, that are actually one of the stronger champions over the last 30 years, outside of the Bulls and Lakers. This GS Warrior team wasn't losing to anyone in 7 games, this year. As ParaSolid said, they were an all-time great offense with a very dominant defense. They have an above-average player at every position with an MVP winner (it was a toss up with Harden, though), an all-star (Klay Thompson), two previous all-stars (in Bogut and Igoudala), a defensive juggernaut (Green), a very good athletic forward (Barnes), and an unstoppable bench featuring Lee, Livingston, Igoudala, Speights, and Barbosa.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think the Warriors are getting disrespected at all -- not counting the nubs on the Clippers. They had a lot of good luck on their road to the championship, but every champion has a degree of luck. Most everyone have them penciled in as a serious contender next year too. You don't do that if you think their victory was a fluke. How many people thought the Rockets would repeat after they won in '94? Only Rockets fans, essentially. By that barometer, I'd say Pistons have the title for most disrespected champion since the Rockets. The reputations of their core players were augmented, but people never could wrap their head around a contender without a clear superstar player. The Pistons got a lot of praise for playing as a team, but really in contrast to the dysfunction of the Lakers.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe I don't read the same thing that you do, but I just don't see that much disrespect for the Warriors there. I do come across some over-sensitive Warriors fans (and media members) whining about disrespect where there is none.

For example, when Ty Lawson said earlier that Curry didn't have to play defense vs. HOU in the playoffs, some took it as a shot at Curry. This is completely wrong. All Lawson meant was that HOU's PGs last year-- Terry and Prigioni-- really didn't attack off the dribble often so Curry didn't have to expend much energy defending them.

I think the Warriors are as deserving as any champion out there. They had the best regular season record and performed well in the playoffs, too. Sure there's some luck involved-- mainly that they were healthier than most teams out there (see Cleveland, OKC)-- but that's a factor every season.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But isn't one of the main points of this thread that they got a clear-path due to major injuries on other teams.

OKC w/o Durant
    Rockets injuries
    Cavs w/o Love/Kyrie

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Good god, Curry and the warriors least respected? Please, they are the golden boys of the NBA.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Warriors aren't disrespected by the media for sure. It's the opposite. They have been hyped a lot.

I'd say they are disrespected by some salty players and fans of other teams.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not even close.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the media (ESPN especially) had a hard-on for the Warriors all of last season. Couldn't go a day without seeing Curry making that baseline out of bounds shot.

They are getting disrespected by the Clippers and that's pretty much it. It's a rivalry.

16. Mr. Space City

their championships aren't "tainted". you still have to go out and beat whoever is front of you. people just think pointing out how fortunate they were to their championship or not proclaiming them THE GREATEST NBA OF ALL TIMEZ!!!! is somehow "disrespecting" them.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't really see any disrespect from the media. Quite the opposite in fact. I do think rival teams and their fanbases probably harbor some resentment toward the Warriors because of the fact(and it is a fact) that they faced a bunch of injury-riddled opponents en route to the title.

I think it's absurd that anyone fault them for not having to play the Clippers or Spurs(like Doc Rivers allegedly did). With them locking up the #1 seed and the West being so stacked, there's no way they could've ever faced both teams and even facing one was no guarantee. But the Thunder were banged up, the Pelicans who barely edged out OKC for #8 had injuries of their own, the Grizzlies were missing Conley and Allen at different times in the Semifinals, the Rockets were missing Bev and D-Mo plus Dwight got hurt badly in Game 1, and then the Cavs were already without Love and then lost Kyrie in OT in Game 1.

I'm a self-confessed Warriors hater, I'll admit it. But I don't think they beat the Cavs if Irving never gets hurt. I don't even know if they would've beaten Memphis had they been at full strength from Game 1. I guess we'll find out for sure this season, cuz there's no way in hell they'll be completely healthy throughout the regular and postseason while their opponents are all decimated by injuries.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Whaddya mean? The Clippers didn't have any major injuries.

Oh, wait....

19. solodolo

solodolo Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Op, are you trying to compare the warriors only championship to other teams multiple championships?