1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI's Sam Amick] New School/Old School Disconnect Drove Adelman's Exit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sam Amick used to work for the Sacramento Bee when Rick coached there, so I trust his sources. It is also consistent with what Feigen and leebigez heard.

If this is true, I still dislike the move-- a revolving door of a new coach every 4 years, even if we are talking about good coaches, doesn't seem like a good recipe for stability or success, though I do feel a bit better that there's a philosophical purpose behind it rather than just the management irrationally blaming the coach and flailing about going "just try something new, anything!"

More important, this means whatever happens to this team now, it's all on Morey. His "new school faction" has full control now, lets see what they can do. Job #1 is to find some credibility and stability with the coaching staff and the roster. The last thing this team needs is the perception that there's chaos in the palace.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/04/18/rick.adelman/index.html#ixzz1Jq2n9sz8

1 person likes this.
  2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

3. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Morey should just coach the team if he thinks number crunching will solve everything...

4. Karlfranklin

Karlfranklin Member

Bullshiit, Morey never showed how it would work. Statistical evolution? Just call it a fancy hoax.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Make it or break it time for Morey. We have been waiting and waiting for his "BIG" move and nothing yet so if this was about Morey new school ways against Adelman's old school style...something better happen soon.

6. worzel gummidge

Amick reports rumors, Ziller not so much. Both are based in Sac and now new media. I'd suspect their source is the Rockets own in-house new media guy.

7. Karlfranklin

Karlfranklin Member

It just blows my mind, why would anybody accept such an unproven management style without questions. Where is the fuucking basis?

8. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Amick is as good as it gets. Especially when it deals with former Kings players, and in this case, coach. That is why he tapped Landry for this article, and was the first to break the Martin to Houston trade

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Man, what a real professional does for journalism.

10. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

It's not true. It's Les who made the dicision not to offer Adelman a new contract

11. makman

makman Member

Funny how one season changes morey from a god to a huge mistake. I don't agree with what he's doing but I watch and wait. This team is slowly regressing and suddenly our assets aren't so appealing. With so many solid centers we have yet to acquire one that can truly help and morey is stringing that out.

12. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I laughed at this quote from Landry

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The San Antonio Spurs?

14. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I'm sorry y'all, but since when did winning become categorized as "old school". As terrible job Morey has done in building a respectful team, Adelman still won ball games. How can Les disagree with winning? That's all Adelman proved he could do

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

haha wow.

This deserves no further comment.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This has been ongoing for at least 3 yrs. I said 3 yrs ago that adelman was not a fan of the way morey does business. Last year with the mcgrady deal and the rumors were terrible. The 24 minute yao experiment made it bad. The summer big fish propoganda was really the death blow.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Morey can't be satisfied. All he wants is stats yet there isn't a more robotic coach out there than Rick. Ta-He-he-he.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

posted this earlier,

A complete statistical analysis is way more crucial to basketball than experience, proven methods, credentials, and an understanding for the game, morey seems to be floating further and further from reality .

And despite what most people say, I do believe morey played a considerable part. Mostly due to adelman's comment about not being informed about integral decisions about his own team. When you're the one that has to command the troops every other day, some other person shuffling up squads and the gameplan would irritate anybody.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah the 24 minute deal soured me on Morey a bit. You can't micromanage minutes from the GM spot. It's just stupid and proved worthless. Either say he can play or not. Popovich has managed Duncan's minutes for years as a coach. Adelman can do the same thiing. Just say "Hey Adelman we need keep Yao's minutes down to 24 a game" and let him figure out to best way do that.

They were being so ridiculously stupid and it turned after 72 hours rest it took only 6 minutes and 14 seconds for Yao to sustain an injury. All of this micro managing Yao's minutes was fruitless and I believe actually contributed to Yao's reinjury as much as anything, because it served to delay his development and focus too much on a problem that couldn't be guaranteed to not reoccur. Plus it undermined the coaching staff all in one swoop.

The end result is the should have only allowed Yao to play 6 minutes a game because at 6 minutes and 14 seconds Yao was threw for the season.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

But, but, but I thought Morey and Les could do no wrong...? :(

Who knows more about success in the NBA...Les Alexander, who inherited a championship team, Daryl Morey and his "advanced" stats, or Rick the Ruler, who's going to the hall of fame?

#20 Kwame, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011