1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thornton more time alongside Harden [Chron]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Feb 4, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Of course he loves it, it's common sense but somehow J.B. does not seem to get that. He's our best 3pt shooter, regardless of what the stats say, and with Harden he could indeed get wide open shots which he knocks down at a high clip. Time for a new experiment: start Thornton instead of Brewer. We played our best ball with him starting early in the season and Brewer brings energy off the bench. Thoughts?

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I agree but Bickerstaff has this baffling loyality/love affair with Brew..to the detriment of the team.

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Seems like JB is always adjusting to our opponent; never making the opponent adjust to us. Just my .01 cents.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - most of us here have been calling for that ALL year, even so much as maybe make him a starter.

Honestly, Brewer is JBB's security blanket, Morey REALLY needs to jettison him, Moneyball style - if necessary.

DD

5. dmoneybangbang

Our worst basketball was at the start of the season. Thornton has been an inconsistent gunner his entire career and plays very little defense.

It's amusing how down people are on Brewer who is just having a down year, like those things don't happen.

If we are playing Thornton next to Harden consistently then either we know we just aren't going to pull it together defensively or Harden has stepped up behind the scenes and will focus more on D.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

It's not about Brewer, it's about the team! He always is better with bringing energy off the bench and has great chemistry with Josh as well.

7. ApuN

ApuN Member

Three Words:

Doesn't-play-defense

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Harden + Thornton = bad defense. We're already terrible on defense. That's why you're not seeing that lineup.

9. dmoneybangbang

I was making an observation about Brewer and how he is viewed. It is about the team and I'm down for anything that will produce more wins.

10. wfactor

wfactor Member

Harden and Thornton's skill sets overlap. They're both high volume offensive players. They both take possessions off on defense.

Not sure this is a long-term solution

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Agree that this might be more about not wanting to pair those 2 on defense than anything else. Rolling them out there is a little safer if you're playing the Wiz (didn't they come into our matchup ranked 28th in offensive efficiency?), as opposed to teams who are more likely to really light you up.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I absolutely loved the conspiracy that Harden hates when Thornton is playing well and would freeze him out so that he wouldn't take away from Harden's shine.

Also the theory that no one wants to or even likes to play with Harden.

Good times.

13. onreego

onreego Member

but but people on this site say that Thornton and James no get along. James reason why Thornton don't get time. :rolleyes:

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Thornton is streaky, if he is hitting his shots earlier than I would keep him in. Otherwise he is a liability on both ends.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO!! I remember some hater said this with no proof of any of it all. That's just how the GARM rolls this season.

16. AXG

AXG Member

Brewer also sucks defensively. At least Thornton can make shots.

17. MistaK

MistaK Member

Yeah but nobody likes playing with Harden though! Chron is just the mouthpiece of the org.

On a more serious note - I too have been wondering why they haven't played Thornton and Harden together more.

On a side note: If they plan to keep Lawson, he too needs to see more time with Harden before the playoffs.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's still better than thornton defensively and matches up against a more variety of players than him.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Thornton should get more minutes with harden. Any competant shooter will play good with harden. He's one of the few players in the league who's gets doubled as soon as he crosses halfcourt.

With that said brewer has been playing good for while lately, just as good as any time last year.

Some of You guys are so down on everyone becasue of our record that you can't even see what's really going on. Do I think brew should start longterm? No, but he's been a solid player for us the last 6 weeks.

People like playing with harden I don't know why that narrative keeps getting thrown out there.

None of his former teammates never have anything bad to say about him. He's getting scrubs like Bev and brew millions making them look good. Delfino said a while back that he was a real superstar and made the game so much easier than anyone he ever played for.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he doesnt even need a lotta minutes to impact the game. around 15mpg consistently, split it into two stints in the game, and just let him shoot the ball. he's not the kind of shooter that can just light it up automatically. giving him 5-8min runs gives him plenty time to let the game come to him or see what he can do himself. doing this consistently only makes it better.

brewer plays better d but not by much and this team's defense is among the worse. dont forget mt only singed a 1 year deal, so he's not gonna half ass out there when he's trying to get a longterm contfact. he and brewer should split minutes more evenly