1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Month of December

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Dec 1, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The month of December is going to be tough, especially given our injuries with 12 of our next 13 against teams over .500 and after Minnesota on the 5th, we will not see a team under until the 31st against Charlotte. This is going to be a real test!

We are currently 5-3 against teams over .500 and face all the teams we lost at least once. We will have 4 back-to-backs, 3 of them first on the road and second one at home. Also 3 of them have the toughest opponent first, which could help us.

Wed, Dec 3, 2014
    8:00p EST NBA TV Memphis Grizzlies

Fri, Dec 5, 2014
    8:00p EST @ Minnesota Timberwolves

Sat, Dec 6, 2014
    8:00p EST Phoenix Suns

Wed, Dec 10, 2014
    10:30p EST @ Golden State Warriors

Thu, Dec 11, 2014
    10:30p EST TNT @ Sacramento Kings

Sat, Dec 13, 2014
    8:00p EST Denver Nuggets

Wed, Dec 17, 2014
    10:30p EST ESPN @ Denver Nuggets

Thu, Dec 18, 2014
    8:30p EST New Orleans Pelicans

Sat, Dec 20, 2014
    8:00p EST Atlanta Hawks

Mon, Dec 22, 2014
    8:00p EST Portland Trail Blazers

Fri, Dec 26, 2014
    8:00p EST @ Memphis Grizzlies

Sun, Dec 28, 2014
    7:00p EST @ San Antonio Spurs

Mon, Dec 29, 2014
    8:00p EST Washington Wizards

Wed, Dec 31, 2014
    7:00p EST Charlotte Hornets

If we have this team for another week or two and perhaps Howard back, Beverley maybe, we should happy with a winning record for this month. I will try to remain positive and say we come out 9-5.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I can honestly say we can win all of them except our upcoming game against the Grizzlies. Beverley and/or Dwight should hopefuly be back by next Wednesday against the Warriors. Blazers we are going to murder. Dwight, Beverley, and Harden all have that game circled on the calender. So do the Blazers, but they won't want it as much as we will. TC will be rocking that night. Then we will drop the next two games against tough teams, but pick it back up.

If all goes to plan we leave December pretty good. 11-3 for a 24-7 record :cool:

All the Rockets have to do is keep on playing well until Dwight comes back.

Memphis Grizzlies
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Phoenix Suns
    Golden State Warriors*
    Sacramento Kings
    Denver Nuggets
    Denver Nuggets
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Atlanta Hawks
    Portland Trail Blazers

Memphis Grizzlies*
    San Antonio Spurs
    Washington Wizards
    Charlotte Hornets

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Assuming Bev and Howard are at least back by mid-December, I don't think the schedule is that tough.

5 really hard games (Memphisx2, GS, Blazers, Spurs)

7 games against OK teams (Denverx2, Phoenix, Hawks, Wizards, Kings, Pels)

2 Pushovers (Minnesota, Hornets)

I could easily see 9-5, but this mystery injury timetable leaves things up in the air. With our current roster any game is a tough win. If Howard comes back early I could see 11-3, if he misses an extended time I could see 7-7.

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

if your 11-3 is right we only need to go 26-25 to make it to 50 wins :O

6. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

If Dwight isn't back soon then we'll definitely lay some eggs making our way through that schedule. Suns and Warriors are no gimmes and we'll probably have a Laker-type game or two as well.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Sheesh, even Denver is a trap game.

I don't mind the record so much as long as we deliver some statement wins against Memphis, GSW and Portland.

8. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

yep, we need Dwight back asap. If our injuries don't get better it's going to be tough. all those back to backs too, not good when you have one player whose carrying the team. Not to mention all those strong teams will be doing their best to make Harden work to begin with

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

9-5 is exactly what I came up with when I looked at the December schedule. Even with Dwight back, I'd be fine with that outcome. January gets a little easier(especially if Bev and T-Jones return by then), so the Rockets could make a run at that point.

10. jedicro

jedicro Member

I admire y'alls optimism, but unless our injured guys start returning I don't see us doing too well this month. Terry, Black, Dorsey, and Garcia are all going to be playing major minutes...

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think we go 82-0 during that stretch.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It all depends upon health, seems like we are playing with house money at the moment.

Harden is going to wear down if he has to keep playing this hard, he needs DHo and Bev back ASAP.

DD

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Best case scenario:

vs Grizz - L
    @ Wolves - W
    vs Suns - W
    @ GSW - W
    @ Kings - L
    vs Nuggs - W
    @ Nuggs - W
    vs Pellies - L
    vs Hawks - W
    vs Blazers - W
    @ Grizz - L
    @ SAS - L
    vs Wiz - W
    vs Hornets - W

9-5 in December

14. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

7-7 being a tad realistic

15. count_dough-ku

If Dwight is out most or all of December, then it's panic time. And I'm not even talking about our record this month(which probably won't be good). When your star center misses a month or more with a knee injury which is supposedly day-to-day according to the organization, someone on the medical staff is either incompetent or hiding something.

16. jedicro

jedicro Member

Agreed.

But it's more than that. Even if Dwight comes back, and Jones, Bev and Canaan are all still out, I don't know how well we do in that stretch. I don't want to see Black, Terry, Johnson, and Garcia on the floor for more than a couple minutes. Too much is being asked of Harden. Our record has been good so far, but this month is going to be hard.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Honestly...just give me a win against the Grizzlies. I'm sure we'll go something like 8-6 or 9-5, but I'm tired of the 25 point losses to Memphis. Seems like they happen a ton.

18. count_dough-ku

I think if Dwight and Bev or Canaan return, we'll be fine. Black and Dorsey are crappy backups, but D-Mo is playing well in T-Jones' absence, the defense has held up for the most part, and that post-Mexico offensive funk seems to have finally passed. 8-6 or 9-5 is more than doable.

Again though, it's all contingent on Dwight coming back soon. If we go another week with him continuously being listed as "doubtful", I'm gonna start to get nervous.

19. jedicro

jedicro Member

But Jones being out means that Papanikolau has to play more minutes than he really should be at the 4, which means that Garcia has to play ~15 minutes at the 3. I'm really happy DMo has stepped up, but we need Jones back. Those minutes (and honestly, any minutes Terry plays when Harden's not on the floor) are killing us.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member