1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do consider yourself to be left-leaning or right-leaning politically?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Mar 27, 2014.

Tags:
?

Do consider yourself to be left-leaning or right-leaning politically?

1. Left-leaning (liberal)

69.0%
  2. Right-leaning (conservative)

31.0%
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Do the majority of your political views lean left or right? I'm keeping this as simple as possible so just two choices for this poll.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Damn.

This board brought me to confusion--when I had always leaned moderately right. It was a clear stance that I took based on my views, but has turned into "Will I be alligning myself with these guys and their view of the right-leaning stance on [said issue] ?"

To associate myself with the right-leaning view on things would be to associate myself with the widely accepted belief of what really is the "right-stance," even if it has been hijacked by extremists so I don't know if what I held to be "right," really is right anymore. I have steered away and labeled myself a "moderate," so the 2 choice stratification by this poll really is bothering me.

Tbh, I'll refrain from voting---but the answer in a more perfect world would be "Right".

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I feel like I should be conservative, because I do believe in limiting government to its lowest. But given the current climate, I'm probably considered a staunch liberal.

1. Foreign Affairs - Don't mobilize troop unless it matters to national security. And I use National Security in a very strict sense. Not vague "some random country has WMDs" type of thing.

2. Social Issues - Very strict believer of the 1st amendment. People can believe whatever they want, say whatever they want, do whatever they want... unless it infringes upon others. This applies to everyone of course, both majority and minority, no matter how fringy. As long as you're not infringing upon others. Abortion is probably the only issue I have trouble on. Ideally I'm pro-life. But forcing kids to be born into poverty isn't exactly the best solution for everyone involved.

3. Businesses - no regulation until it harms the public. So I support EPA because companies polluting harms the public. I support wall street regulations because Wall Street greatly harmed and continues to harm the public. I support food inspections because you can't serve bad food at restaurants, etc. Otherwise, all hands off.

4. Social Welfare - I don't believe the government is required to provide the type of social welfare seen in many European countries or Canada. But at least ensure the impoverished are helped. I believe in public health care and medicaid for this reason. Food stamps and such for the needy. Public education and job training.

Now that I think about it, I'm probably a liberal. Yet I don't feel like what I consider a liberal to be. I simply believe that the government ensure every person has a chance at life. But due to nature of human greed, ensuring that may require a lot of action that ideally should not be necessary. It shouldn't be necessary to tell companies not to pollute the water through fracking, for example. Yet we live in a society that does.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I support liberal public policies grounded in actionable progress.

But I hold myself accountable under a conservative lens.

For fiscal policies, it's been established that neither side really knows wtf they're doing. They really don't and what the Fed is doing is politically inclined to neither despite their members and employees being more inclined to fiscal conservative policies.

5. calcium

calcium Member

Everything has moved so far to the right that old timer right wingers are considered lefties these days.

And I blame that Australian Rupert Murdoch for a lot of this.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think you should have included a "Moderate" choice, KC. I still would have voted "Liberal," but some of the members here probably won't vote at all because they don't feel like they fit either choice, thus skewing the results. Just my humble opinion. :)-

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There are some things I am "right" leaning on, but I am "left" leaning on a lot of issues now. I think would lean left on more things if government wasn't so inefficient and late at responding to problems. Maybe if we had a different style of government then that would change things too.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I still consider myself a conservative philosophically, but I'm not happy with my fellow conservatives/Republicans who have basically been on a 6-year hissy fit since Obama was elected.

And the tea party....****, don't get me started on the tea party....

Fact is, I'm probably more liberal on more issues than I was 10 years ago, but I get really turned off by the divisive nature of radicals on both sides.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm very fiscally conservative, but I'm very liberal on social issues. I also believe in a single payer health system because it has been shown to work and reduce costs. I think the government should be small but also think that there are things only the government can do. I also believe the government's role in the economy should be around stability and employment and not making it easier for a bunch of rich people to make more money. I don't believe in SS because I don't think we should give people incentive to not work.

So I guess I lean liberal.

10. bmd

bmd Member

What can the government do about employment?