1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which signing will prove to be the worst of the 2014 offseason?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Aug 26, 2014.

?

Which signing will prove to be the worst of the 2014 offseason?

1. Chandler Parsons

119 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Avery Bradley

7 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Gordon Hayward

57 vote(s)
    20.1%
  4. Chris Bosh

60 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Marvin Williams

6 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Kyrie Irving

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Jason Kidd

26 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. Other (specify)

8 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

A. Chandler Parsons: 46M/3yrs. A lot of money for the 9th best SF in the league.

B. Avery Bradley: 32M/4yrs. 6'2 D&3 tweener with a 12.7 PER.

C. Gordon Hayward: 63M/5yrs. Shot an amazing 41% FG and 30% 3FG last year.

D. Chris Bosh: 118M/5yrs. Can his performance match franchise player money?

E. Marvin Williams: 14M/2yrs. A minor but expensive signing for a guy who has been regressing the last 5 years.

F. Kyrie Irving: 90M/5yrs. A little too much flash, not enough substance?

G. Jason Kidd: Why do the promising Bucks want this guy?

H. Other (specify)

#1 crossover, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Parsons and Bosh.

Both overpaid. Parson is a great player, but 15M? Yeah right.

Bosh, was just lucky Pat Riley didn't want to see the Heat in tanking mode next year and overpaid for Bosh.

3. downbytheriver

Parsons is already the worst. It's hilarious and undisputed.

Bosh will be one to regret as well. But Miami didn't have the resources to blow it up so they aren't expecting MVP type performances for him. Other guys will only be bad if they have serious injuries.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Lance has potenital based on the fact he could get kicked off the team at any time for doing something
    Papa has a chance if he never adapts
    Meeks 3 years 19 million is a chance
    Channing frye 4 years 32 mill is a chance

I see them not crippling teams caps like bosh, parsons but turning out to be nothing more than salary fillers and salary dumps down the line

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

Lance Stephenson no doubt.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm going to go with Channing Frye's fully guaranteed 4 yr $32mill deal. The Magic just drafted a defensive minded, athletic freak PF in Aaron Gordon...then proceed to relegate him to the bench behind a specialty player like Frye.

I understand the argument that stretch bigs are en vogue right now, but I don't get why a lottery-bound franchise would hinder the development of their high draft pick while simultaneously overpaying a veteran who will only go downhill.

I don't get it.

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I dont think It should be hard to understand, the owner to me just wants to win, which is fine because it's his team and told the front office sign as many FA's as you can and the best ones who are willing to come to the magic.

Then in order to get frye that had to overpay (aswell as Ben Gordon 2 years 9 mill)

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Individually it's Parsons. Situationally it's Bosh.

With or without Parsons the Mavs are mediocre. Nothing will save them from their limbo fate which is to plague them for the remainder of Dirk's tenure there.

Without Bosh the Heat are AWFUL. Now they are just going to be mediocre, getting 6-8 seeds for the next couple years while having no lotto picks to show for it. Much worse than being terrible if you ask me.

Don't you find it funny that these two franchises were willing to smite themselves in such a fashion rather than see us become top 3 championship favorites? I'm sure Morey does.

#8 Spacemoth, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This. The Heat should have started rebuilding.

10. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I'm not sure what option to choose. I think Bradley will be a horrible contract down the line because he is always injured, but the contracts of Hayward and Parsons are atrocious (at least Parsons is only 3 years compared to Haywards - even though he is a worse player). However, the choice here I guess has to be Bosh for several reasons.
    1- he is overpaid like hell
    2- he isn't a superstar
    3- he screwed the rockets
    Albeit, Parsons matches these 3 criteria, his contract is much less $$ and shorter.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Frye and Gordon would make sense if Orlando's biggest weakness was offense (it's not). Payton and Gordon should do a great job in shoring up some of those defensive deficiencies.

Regardless, I can respect the owner's willingness to drop some cash.

12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I think in Bosh's case circumstance makes a difference. In Houston a max contract for Bosh is worth the money because the Rockets are a top 5 team with him. In Miami, it is the worse contract of the off season as they have no chance of advancing in the playoffs and the only reason they will make the playoffs is because the East lacks depth (assuming Wades doesn't get hurt). Also, Bosh doesn't draw people to the stadium. At least Parsons brings in a certain crowd to the stadiums, young fit homosexuals.

By the way, my wife thinks Parsons is ugly but the other day Kevin Love comes on the screen and she goes, "Who is that? He is cute"......WTF!

1 person likes this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bosh will have a hard time living up to that contract. He's owed nearly double any other player mentioned, which is why I voted for him (except Irving).

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think it's Parsons. You're assuming they'd have flexibility to do all kinds of other things. They wouldn't. Overpaying isn't always bad, sometimes it's a necessary strategy.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

In terms of results? The Jason Kidd and Marvin Williams deals aren't going to help either team.

However, in the long term, Bosh's deal could be crippling. As could Hayward's. Since Dallas probably wasn't going to be in the mix for any of the upcoming big name FAs- Chandler's deal isn't that bad. Flexibility only matters if you can use it.

16. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

You can't be serious, the dude's getting paid 60% of what Parsons/Hayward are making and barely more than Ariza. Unless he falls off a cliff (or does something really stupid unrelated to basketball, which I agree he might) then he's a great signing.

17. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think Cuban will eventually (midway through the season) come to the realization that he screwed himself. At least, one can hope that Parsons sucks enough that he feels that way. My biggest hope is that Cuban ultimately trades Parsons after the first year and I frankly don't care who to as long as it isn't San Antonio though I would be able to handle that a lot better than Dallas. Screw the Mav's!!

18. Classic

Classic Member

Any time I see Jason's Kidd's name now I'm auto selecting for any poll in which 'worst' of something is in the question.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Also chose Jason Kidd. I know its fashionable to choose a highly-paid player (eg Parsons), but Parsons and Hayward do so many things to help teams win, where Kidd will be coaching a team with little talent, and Kidd hasn't shown any ability to coach up players.

Kidd's only advantage... he is now with a team that no one will care about.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Parsons has a 3 year contract. He is only getting overpaid by 2-3 mil. It isn't that ridiculous of a contract.