1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Anxiety] Relocating to Bay Area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mtbrays, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Going along with a common theme on the BBS these past few months, I am moving to the Bay Area to start a new job. I have never lived outside of Texas and, despite being excited, I'm also very nervous. Housing especially seems to be in small supply out there and I would like to have money for food after rent.

Any advice on moving to San Francisco would be greatly appreciated, as would any general hints on moving cross-country.

You guys own. Never forget that.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am from California, was born in San Francisco, raised in South San Francisco, and lived in places like Belmont, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Milpitas and Fremont.

Where are you going to be working? Any preferences on where you'd like to live? Happy to give advise. The good news... housing may actually be a bit more affordable now, as jobs are so hard to come by there. It really depends where exacttly you will need to work, and how far of a commute you'd be willing to have.

1 person likes this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll be working in San Mateo, so I would like to be able to stay on the west side of the bay. Anything beyond that, I have no clue.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would suggest staying away from these places

1 person likes this.
  5. victorx91

victorx91 Member

I've lived in the East Bay my entire life. I would expect the weather to be ****ty a lot over there, it's really barely ever as sunny as you would expect it to be.

If you are working in San Mateo, it actually it not a very far drive at all to live in the Hayward/Union City area in the East Bay. It's right across the San Mateo bridge. I'm 5-10 minute away from that area, so it takes a good 20 minutes or so to get over to San Mateo from me without traffic. Only problem there is the toll of course. Hope you find a pleasant location to live.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't go to the raiders vs 49ers preseason games.

7. SunsRocketsfan

Dont ride the crappy BART

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

I disagree. The BART is great for going to games, especially in Oakland. It goes right to the Oakland Coliseum and Oakland Arena, so no parking hassles, it doesn't take an hour to leave the game, and you are not stuck in bridge traffic. Parking sucks in San Fran as well, so going into the city is easy with BART if there is a station near the area you want to be (like going to see a concert at the Warfield).

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Well, living anywhere along the Peninsula is going to be very expensive. I lived in a small apartment in Belmont next to Waterdog Lake and I don't even want to think how much the houses nearby go for. Sounds like you are thinking renting (and apartments?). El Camino Real is a main highway up and down the Peninsula and you will find tons of apartments all along it (from South San Francisco to San Jose). May be able to save a bit by looking at older apartments in San Bruno or south like in Mountain View or Sunnyvale (targets the Silicon Valley workers, your commute would be longer). San Mateo might be a good place if you look near El Camino Real or possibly near the San Mateo (Junior) College off Highway 92. Burlingame has some nice restaurants, bars and stores, so its a bit more expensive.

If this helps, starting at San Mateo, cities south (in order) are San Carlos, Redwood City, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and San Jose. And going north: Burlingame, San Bruno, South San Francisco, Colma, Daly City, San Francisco.

The previous poster suggesting the east bay was offering good advise if you are thinking a house or even buying. It is less expensive and the weather is better. The San Mateo Bridge or even the Dumbarton Bridge further south wouldn't be that bad. That opens up Hayward, Union City, Fremont as possible places to live. I lived in the Warm Springs district of Fremont... a bit newer and nicer than most other parts of Fremont without getting as expensive as the Mission Peak area. Pleasanton is pretty nice but its further east and the commute is pretty bad. And to get even more affordable you need to get farther east or farther south (south of San Jose). Those would be really long commutes to San Mateo.

Hope this helps... let me know if you have other questions.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Unlike what others are saying, the peninsula is not necessarily so expensive.

1. Everything will look expensive compared to the Houston area. You know that.
    2. San Francisco rents are out of control, so that's not a good place to start until you know the area better. Seriously, it's as bad right now as it was circa the late 1990's, mainly because people are afraid to buy anything.
    3. It gets expensive again, really expensive, in Palo Alto, Mountain View, and the like, about 25 miles to the south.
    4. Immediately south of the city (and near your job!) will provide the best bets. San Mateo, Burlingame, Hillsborough, Foster City (and their canals!)... all those should be your initial targets. You'd have a trivial commute and a quiet community to get started and get used to the area.

San Carlos would be nice, but slightly more expensive. Pacifica is fun, in my view, but it's going to be very gray and foggy right on the water. (Might be a relief after the Texas summer!)

Best of luck. I found it very stressful to move here, long ago, from Texas. But now I love it. Part of the problem is that I moved right into San Francisco proper and there's no "elbow room" here compared to Houston. The communities I note above will provide more elbow room.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

one day...good luck man.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Prices have come down quite a bit in CA. and as other posters noted you should be able to find some decent housing on the peninsula in places like Burlingame and Milpitas.

13. davo

davo Contributing Member

And I will be taking to BART to AT&T Park tonight to see my Astros take on the Giants!

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

man you know whats funny every time i saw your screen name the first thing that always popped into my mind was Dumbarton Bridge and now here you are going to go live right by it.

I like the bay area quite a bit not sure if I would live there if I could help it but its always fun to visit

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

davo and grummett sightings in the last 24 hours? what century is this??

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Congrats on moving to bankruptcy state facing imminent apocalypse. Bring "Road Warrior" style gear and guns.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Welcome to Bay dude. It was really nice here in the city a couple of days ago (mid-70's), but for the most part it's been a cold and foggy summer. I say that as I look out into downtown from the office.

Not sure your age, but if you're single most people here get roommates. Craigslist works really well for looking for apartments. Can't speak to the peninsula, but if you're in the city, my favorite neighborhoods are: Russian Hill, Marina, North Beach, and Nob Hill.

Also, if you're working in the city I'd recommend selling your car. I've still got mine, and it's a huge pain in the ass dealing with parking, tickets, etc. Obviously if you're commuting, you'll need it.

EDIT: looks like you'll be in San Mateo, which isn't too far a drive from the city provided you leave the house before 6:30AM. It's like 15-20 miles.

18. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was in San Francisco on Tuesday and it was a beautiful day. Freaky going across the Golden Gate bridge when it is completely shrouded in fog.

19. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

20. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Unless the OP is making more than 6 figures a year, there is no way he can afford a place in these cities... especially Hillsborough.

Hillsborough has it in their city charter that any house for sale there can not be priced less than 1mil.