1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Traditional clothing..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I made an observation today..

The GCC countries (UAE, Saudi, Qatar, etc..) are the only countries I know of where traditional clothing is worn to work as the formal clothing of choice by the nationals of those countries.

I know that in many many countries, when you go to weddings, traditional clothing is popular. But I can't think of a place where every person from that country wears the traditional clothes to work.

Does this happen anywhere else? Isn't it weird?

[​IMG]

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is it an issue?
    I think more countries and places should allow more 'traditional'
    or rather
    non-western traditional dress.

The Suit and tie thing . . . . overrated
    and a bit of a control thing.

Rocket River

3. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

India. The female cops wear Saris.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Interesting observation. I thought about various places I have been to and cannot really think of one where they would wear their traditional clothing for work (unless it's work where that traditional clothing is part of the attraction, like the waitresses at Oktoberfest).

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

English judges?

[​IMG]

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I wouldn't call it weird. Plus that picture, looks just like the Aramco ID office. Had to get mine renewed about 10 months ago.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

That clothing looks really comfortable. Is it? Maybe that has something to do with it...

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

What about those places where modernization hasn't really reached them?

9. Mathloom

Dude, once you get used to it, you can never go back.

The other thing is weather. When it's so hot, it really helps to be wearing white sheets with open ventilation at the bottom.

I doubt that's the reason though. We're always in air conditioned areas, and comfort is not really an excuse.

10. Mathloom

Seriously?

How do they run if they have to catch someone??

Cops don't wear that in Dubai, though female cops that have desk jobs can wear the kinda-skirt uniform.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Dubai cops?

[​IMG]

12. Mathloom

Aux contraire

Was discussing this with my brothers today and one of them was saying it might be anti-social and maybe even a bit backwards to not start doing what everyone else in the world is doing >> wear a suit. Part of the reason he believes this is that we wear formal sandals most of the time, rather than shoes. When I say sandals, I'm talking about stuff that is very formal, simple and made of leather >> not flip flops.

I completely agree with you though. As long as it is appropriate, I don't see why everyone should wear a suit? Why a suit? I'd rather have the option to do any. As long as some basic rules are in place.. for example, we don't wear very colorful stuff because someone might wear bright yellow and look like a giant banana.

One of my fav things about this clothing is that it's not expensive and it's always custom made. They take your measurements and you choose the material and the design every time. They usually cost between $50-$100.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hopefully not an offensive question: I can see how the gown-like thing (sorry, don't know the proper name) could be comfortable, but what about the stuff on the head? Doesn't that get a little bothersome at times?

14. Mathloom

It's called kandora, or dish dasha or thawb.

For most people who wear it, not really. I never really wore it growing up, so I struggled for a while. After a few months, I realized that you just have to improve your posture and make sure you get the perfect size (the round black thing on top).

lol there's a very common saying in the region. Once you can take a dump with that thing on your head, that's when you've mastered it.

Oh, a downside of the clothing is that you can't use a urinal.

15. Dei

Dei Member

Prostitutes.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Most of the world grew out of wearing togas centuries ago.

DD

17. arjun

arjun Member

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

:)

Have you ever been to India? Or do you just know stuff from Bollywood???
    http://aliciapatterson.org/APF2003/Wells/Wells03.jpg

This is from 3 months ago.

Kinda NSFW due to the nasty things they are arresting

There was a huge protest a few years ago because pants were mandated in one city, all the female cops were upset that pants were too revealing.

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

lol, Indian cops don't run ahahha....

20. arjun

arjun Member

I grew up in Punjab and moved to Delhi later...punjab most of the police were men, in delhi it was mainly women and i never saw any wearing saris...and if i went by movies i would say they wear saris dont you remember madhuri in prem deewane?? she wore saris as police, but im from india..atleast in the major cities women wear uniforms not saris