1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brook Lopez for Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Jan 14, 2011.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Nets Avery Johnson, Brook Lopez having some issues

A couple of days ago, when asked if he dreamed of coaching someone like Carmelo Anthony, Nets coach Avery Johnson had a snappy comeback:

“No. I dream of our center getting 10 rebounds.”

Wednesday night, in the fourth quarter of a close battle with the Phoenix Suns, the Nets ran few plays for Lopez even though he was guarded by the smaller Channing Frye. Then with three minutes to go and the game still very much undecided, Johnson benched Lopez.

Which led Lopez to say some things on the bench that, well… watch the video yourself (via Deadspin) but we’re pretty sure Mama Lopez didn’t teach him those words. (It was Robin, he’s a bad influence.)

Whatever dramatic shakeups the Nets front office is planning, Lopez and Johnson are part of the future of the franchise. Together. Coach and star center. Maybe roles need to be more clearly defined, maybe Lopez works best as a second or third option, but whatever the case these two need to get on the same page. Or it won’t matter who they bring in to play along side them.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/nets-avery-johnson-brook-lopez-having-some-issues/

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PqyS2SEPjIc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PqyS2SEPjIc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

We already know the Nets love Scola. Morey needs to work his magic and pounce on Brook Lopez. Brook should be our #1 target even over Melo. I'd trade Scola; Shane; Yao's contract; Hill; Jefferies... to help facilitate the Melo to NJ trade. Melo would extend w/ this team...

pg C. Billups/ J. Farmar/
    sg R. Hamilton/ S. Vujucic/ Q. Ross
    sf C. Anthony/ S. Battier/ S. Graham
    pf L. Scola/ K. Humphries/
    c Nene/ B. Wallace/ Y. Ming
    ----------------------------------------

We would have a solid young core w/...

pg A. Brooks/ K. Lowry/ I. Smith
    sg K. Martin / C. Lee/
    sf T. Williams/ C. Budinger
    pf P. Patterson/ J. Hill/ C. Hayes
    c B. Lopez/ B. Miller/
    --------------------------------------------

2. underrated015

underrated015 Member

hate saying this but i would do it. brook is a future star

3. Htown's2kFinest

i would do this trade in a nano second. but nets probably wouldn't

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would gve them just about everything on the roster to pair Patrick Patterson with Brook Lopez.

It is not going to happen.

5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I would definitely do this trade also in a heart beat!

6. The Hungarian Rocket

No way. We give up Scola and make TWill and Patterson starters?

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Averaging 5.9 rebounds is pretty bad though, and his shooting percentage..
    Tons of upside/potential though.

8. aggie87

aggie87 Member

no offense but Nets would laugh in our faces, this is worse than the would you trade Martin for Melo debate :grin: :grin: :grin:

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Would they laugh at a

Carmelo Anthony
    Luis Scola
    Nene Hilario

Front line?

Would Avery Johnson laugh at that?

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think they'll give up on avery before lopez

11. Raven

Raven Member

He's worth any player on our roster.

12. izeroi

izeroi Member

Would be nice, but this won't happen.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The only way we could do this is If we took on a bunch of crap.

I'm talking Travis Outlaw and Anthony Morrow crap...

It is possible to make a deal that benefits all parties, as the Nuggets could get REALLY young talent and make a ton of money on Yao and other expirings.

The Nets could land

Billups
    Hamilton
    Carmelo
    Scola
    Nene

In one swoop.

We would take back some crap that Daryl Morey would have to find a way to sell, but we would still have our explosive backcourt, along with two young studs to build around in Patick Patterson and Brook Lopez.

14. HOUSTONROCKETS5

Truth be told the Nets will fire Avery Johnson, before they trade Brook Lopez...

15. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Agreed. That was my point. We would have to take on some crap, however, that is the ONLY WAY we get a star/future star.

With the 6.3 mil Ariza trade exception, the 5.8 mil Yao injury exception (when the league approves it), Yao's 17.7 mil expiring, Battier's 7.3 mil expiring, Jefferies 6.8 mil expiring, we can help facilitate the Melo trade and absorb some bad deals like Travis Outlaw's 7mil per deal. I would do that in a heartbeat to get Brook Lopez. His rebounding sucks but he blocks shots and scores inside & out. Patterson would be a 15pt-12rb guy next to Brook.

16. gah

gah Member

I'm so glad he's not our coach, that little Napoleon has the potential to sabotage a whole franchise.

17. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I doubt that. The new owner LOVES Avery Johnson. If/when the Nets get Melo it will be all about winning NOW. Brook Lopez has worse numbers than Scola across the board except blocks. If NJ can get Nene to replace Brook that would be a significant front court upgrade -- plus please Melo & Avery Johnson.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love Scola but I would do that trade so fast......

We have a hole in the middle, and while we would lose our best PF, we would gain a great value at center and still have good players at the PF position.

DD

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

What a great trade idea. Love Scola, but this would fix our problem at center. And we'd still have a great young lineup. The Nets would be pretty solid, too.

20. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He really is not a horrible rebounder, just last year he averaged 8.7 it's not great but it's about what Scola gets.