1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPhone 3G (and iPhone 2.0 firmware) Launch Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I wanted to try and put this in one place for Clutch iPhone users (and new iPhone users) who might want the information. iPhone 3G launches tomorrow, along with the big update to all the iPhones out there.

First, for those of you with current iPhones, information on the 2.0 firmware:

2.0 features from Apple's website
    CBrownFanClub has started a thread on the AppStore itself
    This site has started running through a lot of the Apps available (apparently roughly 70% of the launch apps are actually free)

Main points are the addition of Exchange support, and the addition of the AppStore, which will have Apple and third-party applications you can add to your phone.

iTunes version 7.7 is out and is needed for the upcoming update. You can download it by updating iTunes. 7.7 is the 'prep' for the 2.0 firmware.

Also, 7.7 has the AppStore built in and is now 'officially' active. You'll see it when you run iTunes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also now do remote control of iTunes with your iPhone in this update, though that will probably have to be turned 'on' when 2.0 pushes.

As for the iPhone 3G; it will go on sale at 8 a.m. at both the Apple Store and ATT stores.

There will be 8GB and 16GB models; 16GB will be in either white or black. $199 for 8GB, $299 for 16GB.

Keep in mind that ATT has gone a little buck wild since the phone got subsidized, and the costs associated with the iPhone 3G are higher than what you are used to if you currently own an iPhone.

Whether you can expect lines, or what kind of wait, or how it will be organized, is kind of unknown right now. You will have to activate in store.

From Apple:
    iPhone 3G eligibility and rate plans info
    Apple's iPhone 3G feature page
    ATT's iPhone Page
    Apple's 'Where To Buy' info page on tomorrow's launch

I'm not planning on picking a new one up tomorrow, so perhaps anyone that does can give us some impressions when they get one.

2. lpbman

lpbman Member

Holy crap....
    Why no DNA sample?

3. astros148

astros148 Member

AT&T is a scam and their pricing are god awful. Im sticking with my current iphone with tmobile paying half the prices you guys pay with AT&T.

4. Coach AI

How is the t-mobile iphone combo going? I was always curious.

I'd imagine someone will eventually get the new ones 'freed' once they are out on the market; I just wonder how long it will take.

5. Coach AI

Indeed. Apparently the SSN is for people who are not already ATT customers already. Cell phone provider credit check, it seems.

Also, for those of you planning on being there tomorrow, I don't know if this is a good thing or a sign of a massive clusterf***:

The easypays could help but, if there is any sort of crowd, that could be quite a pain....

6. astros148

astros148 Member

there is no combo, you can just stick with your current plan, AT&T rips off its iphone customers so bad, 70 bucks for 400 min and no text mesages? wtf is that garbage? plus on top no free weekends/nights? lol garbage AT&T

7. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Whoops, guess this post would be better suited for this thread...

So.... I'm considering ditching my Helio Ocean and trying to pick up an iPhone 3G tomorrow... if I just stroll into an AT&T store tommorrow morning should I have any problem?! Or is this camping out business actually necessary?

8. Coach AI

Oh I know, what I meant was how well does the phone work with another service? Anything not function correctly? Any problems?

That's what I meant by 'combo'.

It's hard to say. If you're going to an ATT store tomorrow you might have a better chance by just strolling in.

I wouldn't expect there to be mass chaos or anything. Just some busier times than others.

9. astros148

astros148 Member

i have it with tombile family plan, you can use edge (5.99 tzones), and you get unlimited internet data.

So i have 500 minutes, unlimited texting, unlmited internet, all for like 40-45 bucks, the same plan with AT&T would be 90 dollars.

gosh i hate AT&T with a passion. And only thing that doesnt work is the visual voicemail

10. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

You won't be able to download the 2.0 upgrade, will you? I heard unlocked phones "crash" and will malfunction once updates are attempted. Is this true?

I have AT&T and love it. Use to have Verizon which wasn't bad but was paying about what I pay now for less than half the capabilities I have now with the iPhone.

11. Coach AI

Friend of mine told me that Baybrook Mall has a long ass line right now. Don't know how the other malls are.

Also, there are people on different message boards saying that ATT's system is struggling, so there are delays activating in store.

So if anyone was planning on going like right now, you might want to wait a bit.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're better off calling and checking their stock. The AT&T store I went to this morning ran out of the 16 gig and they wouldn't confirm but you had the idea they were about to run out of the 8 gig. They won't say how many phones they have which kind of sucks if you're waiting in line. Luckily I got out of there with a white 16 gig. I showed up about 7, done by 9. I was like 30th or so in line.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I know I said it's a bad idea to buy anything right now, but I'm snapping up a little AAPL anyway. This new iPhone looks like it is full of win.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I read this about AT&T's activations going really slowly. I was done with activation in about 10 minutes from the time I finally got in the store. No problems at all, FM1960 area.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Good luck with that. I see AAPL as a good short up through mid-November.

16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I sent my wife to the AT&T store this morning around 7:15. She was probably around #50 in line. Around 9:00 a rep came out to a point in line about 10 people in front of her that everyone from there on back would PROBABLY not get an iPhone. The rep also said that she wasn't allowed to talk numbers (why???). I told my wife just to leave. I can wait a bit for mine.

This launch is shaping up to be a cluster-f*** of huge proportions.

17. Coach AI

Indeed. I was wondering if it would be a rather subpar thing or if the demand would actually be there to create a clusterf**. Seems like the latter.

I wouldn't have gone to an ATT store, though. From the previous launch, they got significantly less stock than an Apple store.

18. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I'm going to go order an iPhone at around 3. I think that's the sweet spot time-wise. The lunch crowd will probably be done and the after-work crowd will be a few hours away. I'll post back with what happens.

19. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Just got back from the Kirby and Rice location where they are completely out. An associate said they'd have more tomorrow but no more for today. I asked them about the other stores in the area and they were completely out as well.

20. Secret Agent 7

I got mine in Galveston...no line...no problem (16g white). I saw the line at the Clear Lake ATT store (100 + deep). I figured I try my luck down on the island...SCORE!