1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

40 most valuable players in NBA by Bill Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by choujie, May 30, 2003.

1. choujie

choujie Member

Bill Simmons- 40 Most Valuable Players in the NBA

Group 1: "Available for the right price"
    40. Gilbert Arenas -- Notes on Gilbert Arenas
    Just a few months ago, I questioned Arenas in a column and received an inordinate amount of e-mails from Warriors fans urging me to watch him for a few games. One guy even told me, "I've been a season ticket holder for 25 years and I'm telling you, Gilbert Arenas will be one of the best 10 players in the league in two years."

Well, those are strong words. So I watched more than a few Warriors games over the past three months -- partly because they were the only team still on when I came home from work, partly because I liked watching them -- and all those Warriors fans were right about Arenas. He's as talented as any guard right now.

The positives: Only 21 years old ... other than Kobe and T-Mac, he has the best first step in the league ... unstoppable when he's feeling it ... only started getting PT in March of 2002 ... has the biggest UPPPPPPPPP-side of any free agent since Tracy McGrady three years ago.

The negatives: By all accounts, a major head case, so much so that some teams are reportedly scared to sign him this summer ... one of the most immature players in the league -- sometimes he would get so riled up about bad calls, Eric Musselman would actually take him out of games in the final two minutes ... isn't a natural point guard, which was why the Warriors played Earl Boykins so much in crunch time ... probably has the worst body language of anyone in the league.

But couldn't you chalk up most of those weaknesses to his age? And after watching Billups, Bibby, Marbury and everyone else need 5-7 years to mature, doesn't it seem like a decent bet that Arenas will be considerably better in 2006 than right now? Since he was a second-round pick, the Warriors can only offer him $4.5 million a season this summer ... so anyone offering five million or more can have him. And if a team like Denver or Utah doesn't step in, they're crazy.

39. Antoine Walker -- Probably his final appearance on this list, given the amount of minutes he's logged over the last seven years, as well as his evolution into a 3-point gunner who doesn't rebound and can't get to the rim. I think we've seen the best of him. Just remember that, along with Paul Pierce, Walker coaxed an absolutely absymal group of teammates into the second round of the playoffs this spring. That counts for something.

38. Antawn Jamison -- The quintessential "Good stats on a bad team" guy.

37. Mike Bibby -- Yes, the $80-million contract extension was ludicrous. Yes, he sucked this season. Yes, that performance against the Lakers in the 2002 playoffs was tainted a little -- in retrospect -- by the fact that every point guard lights up the Lakers. But Bibby missed the first third of the season with an injury, and Rick Adelman hurt his confidence coming back by playing Bobby Jackson so much in crunch-time (really, I like Bobby Jackson, but are you winning a championship with him as your point guard?). Maybe that enormous contract didn't help, either. So Bibby ended up having an off-season. It happens.

36. Jamal Mashburn -- Reasonable money ($8 million a year), reliable production (gives you a 21-6-5 every night), always plays hard. And he's only 30. By the way, looking back, isn't it amazing that the Kidd-Jackson-Mashburn threesome self-destructed in Dallas like that? When I'm premiering my show "What The Hell Happened?" on ESPN6 one day, that will be one of the first episodes.

35. Tony Parker -- The toughest guy to gauge on this list, only because the Finals could make or break him. Has there ever been more pressure on a young player? If Parker holds his own against Kidd, the Spurs win the series. If Kidd steamrolls him like he destroyed everyone else this spring -- and the odds seem pretty good -- not only could the Spurs lose the series, but they'll have no choice but to pursue Kidd this summer. So Parker either loses his job or goes to New Jersey in a sign-and-trade ... where he has to replace the same guy who just kicked his rear end. Now that, my friends, is pressure. Anyway, we'll see.

34. Ray Allen -- When you're making $12 million a year, nobody should ever write the following words about you: "He played much harder after he got traded."

33. Caron Butler -- Similar numbers to Allen and Pierce as a rookie.

32. Rasheed Wallace -- Counts among his heroes Martin Luther King, Bob McAdoo, and Floyd from "True Romance."

31. Michael Finley -- I was never the biggest Finley fan until Game 5 of the Spurs series this week, when the Mavs were ready to roll over and die, but Finley and Eduardo Najera wouldn't let them lose. Inspiring stuff. You win championships with guys like that.

Group 2: "You'll have to bowl us over"
    30. Chauncey Billups -- You can't penalize him for the Nets series, playing on a bum ankle against the best point guard in 15 years. Judge him by all the clutch shots he drained from November to May, including those backbreakers in Game 6 of the Philly series. Only a handful of guys made as many big shots this season. Have I mentioned that Rick Pitino and Chris Wallace gave up on him after 50 games?

29. Nene Hilario -- If they did the 2002 Draft over again, Yao would go first, Stoudemire would go second, Nene would go third, Butler would go fourth, and Nikoloz Tskitishvili would go 456th.

28. Richard Jefferson -- On a different team, maybe he wouldn't crack the top 40 ... but Jefferson spent his formative years racking up big game experience and learning the ropes from Jason Kidd. Wouldn't that increase your hoops IQ exponentially?

27. Eddy Curry -- Shhhhhhh ... he averaged nearly 19 points and 7 boards a game during the last two months of the season.

Chander has quietly become a head above the rest.
    26. Tyson Chandler -- Shhhhhhh ... he averaged nearly a double-double in February and March before getting injured.

(Note about Chicago: If Jay Williams ever gets going, yikes. Also, if you were the Bulls, wouldn't you package Donyell Marshall, Eddie Robinson and Jamal Crawford to bring Antoine Walker back home? Who doesn't make that trade, Boston or Chicago? Seriously, I want to know.)

(By the way, I'm really enjoying myself right now.)

25. Peja Stojakovic -- One of those "Good guys on a great team" players that are especially tough to gauge (like Parker, Bibby and Jefferson). In Peja's case, if you switched him with Jamal Mashburn right now, would the Kings lose anything? Probably not. And would Peja make New Orleans better than they already were with Mash? Probably not. Then again, would Mash be able to give monosyllabic interviews and sound like Ivan Drago? Probably not.

Group 3: "Building blocks"
    24. Elton Brand -- Averaging 19 and 11 for his career ... and he's only 24. With that said, why do his teams keep ending up in the lottery? Does he have Shareef-itis?

23. Vince Carter -- Only because Toronto would never trade him straight-up for the previous 17 players, and only because a healthy VC puts butts in seats. We know a few things about him after five years: A) He's probably the softest NBA star of my lifetime (knock him down once and he's shooting jumpers for the game); B) he desperately needs to change teams; C) his trade value will always be higher than his actual value; D) he was better three years ago than he is now, which defies explanation; and E) he's the ultimate cautionary tale for LeBron James (translation: when you're handed too much too soon, this isn't necessarily a good thing).

22. Ron Artest -- Either he's a 10-time NBA All-Star in the making, or he's the first player to commit a "Flagrant foul, Level 4: Homicide." There's no in-between. Personally, I think you win championships with guys like this. He just needs a real coach. And some Zoloft.

21. Baron Davis -- Penalized only because of the bum knee.

20. Shawn Marion -- I liked his game more two years ago, before he fell in love with his (mediocre) jumper and stopped doing quite as many "Matrix" things. It's like when Jim Carrey gets bored making successful $200 million comedies, so he makes the random crappy drama that nobody sees. That's Marion's jumper. There should never be a Phoenix game where he doesn't get at least 10 rebounds. Seriously.

Someone had to get Dirk the ball, right?
    19. Steve Nash -- The second-best point guard in the league, as well as one of the 10 best point guards of the past 25 years. And yes, that's a future column.

18. Pau Gasol -- Great roto numbers, tons of offensive talent ... and no defense whatsoever. I think I could post up some of these Euro guys.

17. Ben Wallace -- Can you win a title when someone who can't score is one of your two best guys? Of course not. But if you already have a 50-win team, then you stumble into the No. 2 pick and have eight figures in cap space to play with ... well, suddenly the Ben Wallace Era is looking better and better. Perfect situation for him right now. Especially if Darko is for real. Would you bet against a white guy named Darko? Me neither.

(Just out of curiosity, who blinks first if there was a "Wallace, Darko and Tayshaun for Shaq" trade on the table, Detroit or LA? Hmmmmm.)

16. Kenyon Martin -- One of the few current stars who remind me why I miss the Bird-Magic-Isiah Era so much: Tough as nails, never gives an inch, would rip your heart out to win a game, always delivers when it matters. Just a great basketball player. I really enjoy watching him -- I wish everyone played like this.

Group 4: "Borderline franchise guys"
    15. Allen Iverson -- When he was thriving two years ago, he was catching the tail end of that wave between the dreadful LJ-DC-Alonzo-Kenny-Penny Era (on its way out) and the Kobe-Pierce-KG-McGrady-Vince-Nowitzki Era (on its way in). So there was a small window for him, and Iverson stayed sane long enough to take advantage of it -- the Sixers came within three wins of the NBA title.

Eight guys whose rankings were affected negatively by their salaries
    Jamison -- 6-year contract for $85 million, expires in 2006-07

Carter -- 6-y, $79.3 m, 2006-07

Bibby -- 7-yr, $80.5m; 2008-09

Walker -- 6-yr, $70.9 m, 2004-05

Finley -- 7-yr, $102.3 m, 2005-06

Webber -- 7-yr, $122.7m, 2007-08

Davis -- 6-yr, $85m, 2008-2009

Garnett -- 6-yr, $126m, 2003-04

Shaq -- 10-yr, $208.5M, 2005-06

Well, the league's just too good now. And given Iverson's immense amount of baggage, the incredible pounding that he absorbs for six months a season, and his dubious choice of friends, doesn't it seem like he could be entering that "Tyson right before he flew to Japan to face Douglas" stage of his career? Maybe that's why Larry Brown left treadmarks leaving Philly last week.

14. Steve Francis -- Don't get me wrong: I love watching him. And he finally solved those bizarre migraine problems, which should pave the way for 10-12 more All-Star appearances. But poor Yao Ming played 82 games last season without anyone on his team figuring out A) where he likes the ball, or B) how to throw him an entry pass. Isn't that Francis's job? For God's sake, you have the next Bill Walton on your team, he's seven-&$%#%#-six, and you can't make the #$^&@# playoffs with him???? I'm riled up.

13. Chris Webber -- Note to Sacramento fans: Your best player has missed 194 games over the past 10 years, not counting the recent playoff injury that submarined your team's title chances. And he's on the hook for another six years and $108 million. You can't feel good about this.

Group 5: "Franchise guys"
    12. Jermaine O'Neal -- Please don't let him go to San Antonio ... for the rest of the league's sake.

11. Stephon Marbury -- Living proof that the lightbulb can go off.

10. Amare Stoudemire -- Back in my single days, my buddy Joe House and I developed "The Other Shoe" theory, which centers around the premise that "All women should be considered crazy until proven otherwise." Whenever one of us started hanging out with somebody, the other would always ask, "Did the other shoe drop yet?" In other words, did the new girl have any visible baggage? Was she hiding a trait that could potentially submarine the entire relationship? Was she way too close to her family? Was she secretly nuts? You'd be amazed how many times the other shoe ended up dropping.

So what does this have to do with Amare Stoudemire? Well, during the middle of his rookie season -- the one in which he won "Rookie of the Year" and evoked comparisons to Moses Malone and Roy Tarpley -- his agent actually quit. Just threw up his hands and said, "You know what, I've had enough of this guy, have someone else be your agent when you're signing for $80 million in three years." That's a little disconcerting, no? And given that Amare played for about 19 high schools, and given that seven teams happily passed on him in last year's draft ... well, let's see where the other shoe drops with him before he moves into the "Untouchables."

Group 6: "Practically untouchable"
    9. Paul Pierce -- A level below Kobe and T-Mac until he proves otherwise.

Until Pierce can slay the Nets, he's stuck where he is.
    8. Kevin Garnett -- Again, I'm willing to reconsider this whole "KG can't be the best player on a championship team" thing. But since they're probably trading him this summer, he can't be an untouchable, right?

7. Jason Kidd -- Not since Isiah Thomas in the late-'80s has someone played point this perfectly. It's a clinic. Here's the astounding thing: He was doing 95 percent of the same stuff in Phoenix, except he couldn't take over games and score when it mattered. He just wasn't a reliable enough shooter; if anything, he looked scared taking big shots. So what happens in Jersey? He evolved into an end-of-the-game assassin, almost like he willed himself to become a clutch shooter (like a Jedi mind trick). You have to hand it to him. And yes, he's knocking on the Pantheon door right now.

Group 7: "Untouchables"
    6. Shaq -- You have to love Charley Rosen. If Robert Horry makes that 3 in Game 4, the Lakers are still playing right now. And yet the Lakers end up losing the series, so it's Shaq's fault because he was carrying too much weight on him? Jeez, Charley, I thought it was Kobe's fault for being selfish and impossible? Let's blame them both. They're coming off three straight titles and playing with a collection of stiffs and has-beens because their front office has been asleep for five years ... clearly, Shaq and Kobe need to do more. Puh-leeeeze.

The unbiased version: Shaq looked heavy because he waited to get surgery on his toe -- stupidly, I should add -- then that same toe bothered him during the season, so he never played himself into shape like he normally does. And when his knees started bothering him, that was that. An honest mistake. I don't think there was anything vindictive or lazy about it; he just screwed up. And then the Lakers faced a team in the playoffs that wanted it a little more. End of story.

It isn't his weight, it's carrying the Lakers that's ailing Shaq.
    Here's the bigger question: After winning three titles and proving everything he needed to prove, does Shaq even want this anymore? Is he willing to take the necessary steps to remain dominant? And if he walked away right now, after banking nine figures and winning a few rings, could you even blame him? That's why I have him ranked sixth. I don't think he likes working out during the off-season. I don't think he likes playing with Kobe. I think he knows that his teammates stink. And that his coach is probably calling it quits.

So here's my one crazy prediction of the summer: Shaq retires within the next few weeks. The Lakers sign Jermaine O'Neal with the new-found cap space. And either Shaq returns one year from now, rejuvenated and ready to go ... or he spends the next few years kicking back and enjoying life. If that means more Celebrity Roasts, I'm all for it.

5. Dirk Nowitzki -- Unbelievable offensive player. One of a kind. One of the few guys I would pay money to see. And if he really tore ligaments last week, then everything you're about to read is moot.

But if it was just your basic sprained knee ...

Well, I hope we won't look back at this whole "I don't want to take any chances with this sprained knee -- I'm perfectly happy to give away this chance at a championship because we'll have many more chances" debacle the same way we look back at Vince Carter's "Wait a second, there's no reason I can't graduate and play in Game 7!" decision two years ago. This may have even been worse. Seriously ... does MJ miss these games? Or Larry? Of course not. Even if he's hobbling up and down the court with the bulkiest knee brace on the planet, I'd rather have Dirk out there then Raef F---ing LaFrentz. Don't even get me started.

4. Tracy McGrady -- Here's my favorite T-Mac tidbit, and you can look this up on his game logs right here on America's favorite sports website, ESPN.com. Remember when everyone started to make noise about Kobe's 40-point game streak, how he could become the first person to average 40 in a month since Chamberlain? Well, T-Mac was cruising along, averaging 30 a game himself, and then he must have read one too many Kobe stories.

Here's how he finished the last week in February: 4 games, 39.5 PPG.

And here were his March numbers: 15 games, 35.9 PPG.

T-Mac's best highlight would be if could convince Hill to retire.
    What a rivalry this should be ... and it's never happening as long as McGrady is trapped in Orlando. Couldn't David Stern stick a horse's head in Grant Hill's bed to get him to retire, just so Orlando could have the cap space this summer? And is the Commish losing his powers? How did the Lakers lose Game 6? How does Cleveland get LeBron? I'm starting to worry about him ... I think Barzini and Tattaglia might be ready to take some of his territory.

3. Kobe Bryant -- Man, he sure doesn't look like The Next MJ when he's playing with a 400-pound Shaq, the Artist Formerly Known as Big Shot Rob Horry, Mark Madsen and that Pargo guy.

(That reminds me, was "Pargo" his first name or his last name? Did we ever definitively find out? I would believe anything. Reminds me of the time I convinced my friend Butz that Siegfred and Roy's real names were Kenny Siegfred and Roy Jenkins. All right, I'm babbling ...)

2. Yao Ming -- I am honored to be included in your prestigious list, and that you consider me as a taller version of Bill Walton ... I feel like a goat herder who just found an extra patch of grass, and decided to sit down to eat his lunch ...

1. Tim Duncan -- In a perfect world, we should be able to judge the best player in basketball by figuring out the answers to the following questions:

Does he make his teammates better? Would he have a more dramatic effect on average teammates than any other superstar? Would he be fun to play with? Would he fit in just as well with a group of talented players as he would with a bunch of role players? Would he do just about anything short of committing homicide to win a game? And when he's on a roll, are you watching him and saying, "There isn't anyone on the planet who could stop him?"

With Duncan, you would answer "Yes" to every one of those questions. That's why he's the two-time MVP, that's why the Spurs might win another title, and that's why Tim Duncan is the most untradeable player in the league. Until next year.

Bill Simmons is a columnist for Page 2 and ESPN The Magazine, and he's a writer for Jimmy Kimmel Live.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I like this Simmons guy...gives Yao a lot of respect.

3. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

no SAR, no Bonzi, no Z, no Rip, no Allen Houston....?

4. mac.c

mac.c Member

Tim Duncan over Yao Ming this guy must be a idiot.:p

5. ron

ron Member

How can he say that Yao is more valuable than for example T-mac, Kevin Garnett and Kobe? Of course, I like Yao a lot but when you make a list of the most valuable players you got to think about what those players are doing right now, and not how valuable they may be in the future ( I don't know why he placed Yao Second). To claim that Yao is more valuable than for example T-mac right now is just silly. Yao is a very nice guy with skills, but he's still a rookie with numbers that can't be compared to T-mac's.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Did you read his criteria. It includes salary, age, ability, and other things. It doesn't just include performance or future performance. If Orlando and Houston could trade the two straight up, do you think Orlando would take Yao's potential with his rookie contract over McGrady's with his max contract. I bet they would think hard about it, and I bet the Rockets wouldn't think about it at all.

7. red

red Contributing Member

cant argue with that list. the sf part was on the $. i wish he would have spent more time talking about yao.

bill simmons rules.

8. Elienator

Elienator Member

The article is really the most untradeable players in the NBA.

"Given that there's a six-day break until the Finals kick off, as well as countless WNBA games not to watch, this seemed like the perfect time to break out my annual column gimmick: "Which NBA player has the highest trade value?"

On ESPN's site there is a little intro from Bill Simmons that describes his criteria. I don't think I agree with him completely, but it's arguable that the McGrady, Kobe, or Garnett would be traded before Yao.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

i was almost expecting labron to be #1 when i scrolled down...

10. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I liked him when I started to think Francis would not make the list then I saw where he had him and I thought he was an a-hole for even including him, but in the end after seeing what he said about Steve I liked him again.

But I have an issue:

Ray Allen is no where near that low regardless of how you look at him. I would take him before of all but 9 of the 33 people listed in front of him.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You think Francis isn't one of the top forty players in the NBA right now? Whose the hater?:rolleyes:

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I love his articles. The following parts were absolutely hilarious. Remember guys, he's joking much of the time, in addition to the sports commentary.

One thing I'd like to add about Jason Kidd; he is absolutely a gunner in the clutch now. I recall seeing him on TV being interviewed (I think it was at the all-star game) and Kidd was commenting on how he envied Allen Iverson, Kobe, and the rest of the stars. Kidd said he's in the process of making a great effort towards becoming more like them: fearless when it comes to taking big shots.

Now I know that many stars have the problem of shooting too much, but Kidd, until now, has been on the other end of the spectrum. Now that's he's developing his clutch shooting game, he's found the middle ground, he has solidified his stature, in my eyes, as the 2nd best point guard in the last decade behind Dirty John Stockton (I still hate him, but I respect his game). If Kidd keeps this up for 5 more years, builds his stats, and wins a ring, he will pass Stockton in my book. And since so many consider Stockton the best PG ever (sorry Magic, you play no D, not even in your old school "how to play basketball" videos, which I own), it is arguable that Kidd could be the best PG ever.

13. rvpals

rvpals Member

This is a really good comparison. I don't see why Jason Kidd is rank quite low. I would even want him ahead of T-Mac Imagine Kidd & Yao.
    :D

14. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I thought that list sucked. Good for Rocket fans, but over all it sucked.

15. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Even Francis is mroe valuable at THIS pont... It was only yaos rookie season. And i am shocked and permantly scared at this guy puting Suns Bith Marbury as a Franchise player. If thats true then Francus should be untouchable.

16. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

It was tounge and cheek. The biggest Francis hater on this BBS would not be able to list 41 players better than him in the league. It was a joke.

On the subject of Francis, I will admit that he is not a player that after having him on my team for 3 years and seeing what he could achieve and the way in which he accomplished his stats, I would NOT have signed him to a max dollars 7 year deal. That does not make me a hater, it makes me some one who just does not see his value as high as the Rockets brass did.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry, I thought you were serious.

18. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

See, us posters who do not visit the Rox forum enough don't know how to be taken by those we only see in the Hangout ;)

19. matrixReloaded

havin' two All-Stars and not makin' the playoffs really sucks ... now, seems to me that everyone knew that the Rox have at least two of the top 15 players in the league ... it's gonna be fun watching this team in the coming years, if only they learn how to pass the fre@kin' rock.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

i liked that list because that guy obviously doesn't take himself too seriously. if i didn't agree with some of the placings, it didn't bother me because he seemed alot more interested in having fun making that list than anything else, and in turn, i had fun reading it.

i didn't know amare's agent quit though. that's very interesting.