1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This will be Steve Nash's last season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jul 28, 2014.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Steve Nash confirms this will be his last NBA season <a href="http://t.co/iQtJOYtmad">http://t.co/iQtJOYtmad</a></p>&mdash; Mark Medina (@MarkG_Medina) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/statuses/493825625002893312">July 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

At 40-years-old, Steve Nash is heading into the last year of his contract with the Los Angeles Lakers. Although Nash has been reluctant to call it a career after dealing with numerous injuries, the two-time NBA MVP has let it be known the 2014-15 NBA season will be his last, according to Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News:

“I think this is my last season,” said the 40-year-old Nash in a video posted by Sport TV. But I still love to play, practice and work on my game. I’m going to spend hopefully many many years living this life without basketball. It’ll be nice to play one more year.”

Over the last two years with the Lakers, Nash has struggled to stay healthy after breaking his leg in only his second game with the team against the Portland Trail Blazers. Nash collided with then rookie Damian Lillard resulting in a leg fracture that would caused nerve damage in his back.

Nash has played only 65 games with the team after being acquired in a trade with the Phoenix Suns back in July of 2012. The veteran point guard continues to battle through his injuries, but simply hasn’t been able to stay on the floor on a nightly basis.

In Nash’s final year in Los Angeles, the two-time NBA MVP will earn $9.7 million while potentially competing for the starting role with newcomer Jeremy Lin. Nash’s starting role is not guaranteed at this point with new head coach Byron Scott possibly electing to go with Lin and using Nash as the backup next season.

http://www.lakersnation.com/steve-nash-believes-this-will-be-his-last-season/2014/07/28/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Seems like his last season was 2 years ago.

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

It's a pity that he's wasted the last 3 years of his career with a crappy team that most people hate.

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

He should of retired couple years ago but Nash will be missed. He's was one of the best players to watch.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's kinda weird how there's not much fanfare around Steve Nash. The dude was a 2-time MVP for goodness sake.

Even Gasol going away and Lin coming in has made more news than anything to do with Nash.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Lin can learn a lot from the guy. Wish both of them luck

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lin fans must be pissed. Nash is going to play as much as np he wants this year.

8. Redcfc1

Redcfc1 Member

Nash hasn't done much last two years.
    He could've retired early, but wanted to collect the money he earned.

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

[​IMG]

NBA won't be the same without him. My fav player.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think most everyone sees him as having effectively played his last games a couple of years ago, as others have said.

It was like when Shaq kept playing past his expiration date, people treated it with "oh okay, fine, still here for the checks?" instead of OMG he's retiring!

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If I were the Lakers, I would be starting a lineup of

PG: Nash
    SG: Lin
    SF: Kobe

no reason not to, its not like they are competing for anything

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He would have retired this year if not for 10 million guaranteed.

13. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Grandpa?? TAKE A HIKE!

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He left the door open by saying he thinks it'll be his last. Guarantee he's coming back if he's healthy and puts up 14ppg/8asst.

I doubt if he can teach anything to Lin at this point but he should be handing over the reins of the starting PG position to him.

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Selfish? Oops I forgot he's white:)

16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Lol I forgot about that. Classic.

17. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

You LOF!

You watch too many Jeremy Lin videos.

Just kidding.

That was funny!

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Kobe is offended that somebody is older than him on the team.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Great player, didn't know when to quit. Should have retired about two years ago.

20. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

The grey beard looks unusual.