1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Greater Houston Area High School Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Beavis Stiffler, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Beavis Stiffler

Class 5A Top 15

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/oM__Ui...eseason-top-10-high-school-football-teams.htm

1)Katy
    2)Lamar
    3)North Shore
    4)Westfield
    5)Manvel
    6)The Woodlands
    7)La Porte
    8)Alief Taylor
    9)Cypress Fair
    10)Fort Bend Bush
    11)Cypress Falls
    12)Pearland
    13)Clear Springs
    14)Dekaney
    15)Klein Collins

Class 4A Top 10

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/tTaoK2...eseason-top-10-high-school-football-teams.htm

1)Summer Creek
    2)Texas City
    3)Dawson
    4)Fort Bend Marshall
    5)Angleton
    6)Dayton
    7)Magnolia West
    8)Crosby
    9)Stratford
    10)North Forest

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Katy scored 21 points in like 42 seconds last night.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wow. Didn't know Stratford was ranked. That's cool I guess.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's definitely cool!

Lost tonight though

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Cy-Woods took down Klein Collins 21-0 last night.

Was weird not seeing them in the playoffs last year. (class of 10)

Also, lol MaxPreps

#5 tellitlikeitis, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Lufkin shocked John Tyler 52-28. Game was over at half. Panthers with an overpowering performance. Woodlands take notice.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Katy-Alief Taylor on ESPNU.

Does Katy recruit players? Ha.

8. Buck Turgidson

Looking forward to seeing Garrett Gray here in the Falls of Marble manana, sounds like an interesting player.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Welp Katy's winning state. Again.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, they're pretty good. (Ya think? :))

11. Beavis Stiffler

How do the Katy Tigers get these guys? Did they talk to the players' families and bringing them to move to a neighborhood that is close to the school?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'd like to think something is going on there but apparently they've been good since...forever.

How is the JV squad? Freshman? Middle School? Football factory?

13. Beavis Stiffler

I mean not all public schools have the resources like Katy has. They never have a down year like all the high school football teams had.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

WTF Clear Springs is ranked? Isn't that a brand new school in CCISD? How are they ranked when no one else in that district is?

I live right by Cy Falls and Cy Fair. Might go to a Cy Falls game or two since that's where we're zoned. I'd like to see SHSU's future QB who's at Cy Ranch right now, so that game is looking likely.

#14 Haymitch, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Springs was brand new in like 2007. :p

The district isn't that great (if at all--football wise of course).

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Associated Press Top 10, Sept. 2

2. Katy
    5. North Shore
    6. Lamar

The Madison at #10 is in San Antonio.

FIFY. Although admittedly, it is pretty tough keeping track of the Cy's. This district has been one of the most rugged in the city for a few years now. And this year doesn't seem to be any different from the last 5.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well I graduated high school in 2005 and don't really follow what happens down that way anymore. So anything after 2005 is new, unsettling, and a little scary.

Thanks. What do you mean most rugged?

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They lost 1 total game as a school last season between freshman, sophomores and JV teams. The middle schools that feed into KHS use the same practice techniques and plays from the very beginning. The coaching is unreal and it's now become a source of pride among the students, so the amount of work the kids put in is crazy. My nephew is on the team and he's jacked. He would kick my ass up and down the street and he's a third-stringer. The kids have summers off, but if they're around, they're up at the weight room for at least some part of the day.

1 person likes this.
  19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Basically, the level of competition here (in all sports, pretty much) has skyrocketed since the new schools have opened. In football, 8 of the 10 schools are realistically contenders for a playoff spot. I'll give you a little of what you need to know about the 10 schools in Cy-Fair. Hope this helps.

All of them run the spread, or have elements of the spread in their offense. So, more often than not, you'll see a few shootouts during the course of the year.

My old school, Cy-Woods, which opened in 2006, made it to the playoffs in their first season of varsity play (2008). They missed the playoffs for the first time last year, but I've been around them for part of the summer, and I've seen a new attitude about those kids. They're pretty hungry. They shut out Klein Collins last Thursday. When they met Collins last year, they lost 35-14 at BBVA Compass Stadium. Every team that's come through here has been pretty undersized. But I've been through that system. They take pride in outworking the opposition, and it's gotten them into the playoffs for 4 of the last 5 seasons (3rd round in 08, 4th round in 2009-10). Their top 2 offensive players (#1 and #24) are 3-year starters. They also have the ugliest unis in the district.

Cy-Ranch, which opened in 2008, just came off a run to the 4th round, when they ran into the Katy buzzsaw. It'll be interesting to see how they adjust to life without their all-galaxy RB, Keith Ford, who's now at OU. They got run over by Cinco Ranch last week. Out west on 290, there's a serious, serious rivalry brewing with Woods and Ranch. I graduated before it started, though.

Fair has been re-energized. They've been at or near the top of the district for the last 3 seasons after they won 1 game combined in the 2 years before that. They beat Falls on a hail mary, and Creek in the last game of the season on a blocked field goal to get to the playoffs. Fair is the exception on offense; they'll just run the ball down your throat all game and mix in a bootleg pass here and there. It's been devastatingly effective. Most of those kids that started on offense last year are back. Defensively, they were the best team in the district. Most of those kids are back, too. I think they're the favorite in the district.

Falls has a linebacker that's heading to UT. They've fielded very good teams over the years, and although they got pasted by Oak Ridge last week, they should contend for the district championship. They also have a junior on the defensive line who should be a major D-I recruit next year.

Creek was beaten by Fair in their final game as they had a field goal that would've sent them to the playoffs blocked as time expired. The original Cy schools were both tied in the standings entering that game. Their RB apparently ran for 277 yards and 3 TD's against Klein Oak last night, so he'll be their horse. Defensively, they've always been a solid bunch.

Ridge is where Russell Shepard went before he went off to LSU and the Buccaneers.

Sidebar: When Woods played him, there was one play where they had him in the endzone for a sure safety. Well, he wound up escaping and threw a 99-yard TD pass.

Even after him, the Rams seem to trot out some solid players. They have a wideout who's already garnering attention.

Langham Creek last year had one of the most prolific passers (Connor Feist) to ever come through CFISD. After starting for 3 years there, he's now one of Johnny Football's understudies. But from what I've heard, the kid they've got now isn't too shabby himself. They also have the top returning receiver (statistically) back too.

Jersey Village has had the athletes, but they haven't been able to find the breakthrough. They've had the same head coach for at least a decade. Most of my coaches at Woods were his assistants, and one of them actually went there and played for him.

Springs is rebuilding. They won last week, which gives them as many wins as they've had the past 2 seasons. But don't be fooled, they seem to be making progress. They're a basketball school. Their one win last year was against....

Lakes, who went winless last season. They opened in 2008 alongside Ranch, but obviously Ranch has had it better football-wise. Lakes has won 2 games in 3 years, both against Springs. It's weird. Their kids look the part with helmet and pads on. They have athletes. But they've been.... just bad. Like Springs, they're a basketball school. Speaking of basketball, they've got one of the top sophomores in the country.

1 person likes this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member