1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Places (or spitting out the poison pill)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Jul 23, 2014.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I wanted to draw up a balance sheet on the acquisition and removal of Asik and Lin in order to see what the whole deal cost us, both to get both players, and to shed both players [for the savvy individuals, balance sheet is probably the wrong word, forgive me?]

Gaining Asik and Lin

To make the capspace, we shed Dalembert's contract, which moved us UP 2 spots in the draft.
    We also amnestied Luis Scola.

One could argue about other costs, but they are not directly related to the deals (ie, they weren't required to make the cap space)

Shedding Asik and Lin
    To ditch Lin, we paid the Lakers our first round draft pick, and gained a (1 year) 8.5m TE
    To ditch Asik, we were paid the Pelicans pick (4-19 in 2015), the unguaranteed contracts of Gee and Hopkins, and Trevor Ariza.

Considering we COULD have signed Ariza through cap space, he almost doesn't count as a gain, however the 8.5m TE we got for ditching Lin does count as a gain (we wouldn't have received it if we signed Ariza via capspace).

Summing up

To get them, we improved our draft position, and amnestied the corpse of Luis Scola (cost = $7m over 3 years)
    To ditch them, we effectively traded first round picks with the Pelicans (4-19), gained an 8.5m TE, and 2 non-guaranteed contracts.

And we only paid them 40% of the combined guaranteed salary they were owed, despite having them for 66% of their contract lengths. Slightly offset by paying Scola $7m - so basically just over half their contract amounts we paid.

All told, the moves look like a win to me? I guess it is now just a matter of whether we can do anything with the improved pick, the TPE, and the non-guaranteeds.
    Personally I am glad the TPE is part of it, since I want improvement THIS season - and it must be used or lost this year.

2 people like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In a vacuum the moves are a win. But they were made to land a "big free agent." So they failed.

Now, I, and apparently all ZBoy, agree that we dodged a bullet in Bosh, much like Pau Gasol. I did not want any of the free agents, except Lowry.

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

Speaking of Lowery, he had a vest and treated like a hero by The Raptor, if i remember he said he was happy to be treated well and respected in Toronto:cool:

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The real question is, what are the Mavs going to have to pay to get out from under the poison pill that is Chandler Parsons' contract?

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm kind of with you on those thoughts - but you can't fault someone for ditching bit part players (who were about to cost $30m), while BOTH making a profit in return (locking draft pick in at 4-19) AND managing to make the cap room without actually having to use it, and thus acquiring what could be a useful TE.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Surely they can't?

To trade him costs them 15%. So his contract (for trade purposes) is:

2014: $16.9m
    2015: $17.67m
    2016: $18.43m

Who is taking on a slightly above average SF for $18m?
    Makes the Pistons old offers to Ben Gordon and CharlieV look palatable.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You're damn right he had a vest.

[​IMG]

Go Kyle.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We were trying to tank, and hope one of Asik or Lin would work out (Lin was the price of tanking, but that's a whole other issue). Without Harden, Asik would have probably been traded mid 12-13.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

:) Revel ...

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

After last week's carnage, some people here wanted to swallow.

Part of me is thinking that maybe Asik would be a good chip right now in our quest for a replacement PG, but it's probably a wash with the NOP pick because the pick is more flexible than a offloading a guy with specific talents.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The question isn't how much they cost to get and got in return. It's just how much they got in return. Meaning if there is a problem with the moves, it's that perhaps holding onto the asset would have netted an even greater return, be it at exit (a future trade) or via dividend (those players actually performing for you).

Personally, I'm ambivalent. I had little hope for the "dividend" return. Lin's yield was so inconsistent it was almost useless. Asik had great yield potential, but would never be able to realize it given his yield is maximized as a starter and made somewhat mute as a backup. Moreover the exit route - trade - seems unlikely to get any better. There is the question of having some big salary to trade to somebody. Granted we picked up those non guaranteed contracts... Which are nice though nothing can happen with them for a few months. Also even as an upcomig free agent there's the possibility a team like Boston might have still valued Asik enough as part of a package to trade Rondo for it, since they'd keep his bird rights and be in the driver seat to re-sign.

On the whole complaining about Asik/Lin is pointless.

As many others have said repeatedly the offseason blunder came down to one move and one move only... Declining Parsons option. Not Asik/Lin

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

THANK YOU! This is basically what I've been sayin in a few threads for the last couple weeks as folks have been 'outraged' at losing a pick to move Lin and 'getting nothing in return for Asik and Lin'... blah blah blah....
    we got 2 restricted free agents (lin and Asik) for 5M/yr for 2 yrs (far below market value)... and then got to swap picks with the Pelicans for next year....all for virtually nothing.... and folks are b****in.... smh....

14. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

On what he does he is more than just slightly above average