1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Paul Pierce?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jun 11, 2004.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Some guy just called in my local radio station and claimed he visited some website (I think he said Fox sports, but I can't remember) and it rumored that a three way trade might occur instead of just a two way trade between Houston and Orlando. Now, the Boston Celtics is involved. It's said that Paul Pierce will come to Houston, Steve Francis will go to Orlando, and Tracy McGrady will go to Boston. Of course, other things will be involved to work with the salary matchups, but this is basically what a trade is about.

Since I didn't catch his words on where he found this rumor, so I can't provide a link right now, although I am working on it. This might just be some BS from just a guy who called in and said some stuff, or it might have some merit to it. I don't know. So, if Clutch or others want to nail me for this, go for it. I can't claim this is true either, just some rumor from a guy who claimed to read some rumors.

However, I do think this trade makes more sense for us though. Pierce is clearly more of a JVG type of player than TMac. He plays hard on both ends, and he is more of a fighter. Also, Pierce has a longer contract than TMac if I remember it right, so he can't decide to leave after a year and we are left in the dry.

It also makes sense for Orlando, they still get Francis.

Also, it makes sense for Boston. McGrady is a bigger name than Pierce. It's not bad to get a star in that magnitude. Plus, I have a feeling that Danny Ainge wants to completely rebuild, preferrably through lotery. If McGrady decides to leave after a year, then he has an excuse to tank the following season completely and shoot for a big guy like Yi Jianlian or Greg Oden in 2006/2007/2008 loteries.

Again, this is just a rumor I put up without a link. I don't care for the punishment I'll get from other posters.

2. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I will be MAJORLY pissed if we are giving up Francis and some other team is getting McGrady. I dont see that deal happening though for a number of reasons. 1) Why for T-Mac? I mean I see the Doc Rivers connection but the Celtics arent any better than the Magic. If Tmac is going to go somewhere he isnt going to want to make a lateral move. 2) I dont see the Magic trading Tmac to a conference rival. So it really makes no sense either way.

If the Magic want Francis, we should take McGrady. Leave Pierce out of it.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I would think the Celtics would have more interest in Francis, considering that they already have Ricky Davis and Jiri Welsch at the 2-3, while Chucky Atkins is their starting PG.

Maybe Orlando gets Davis too?

5. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

If im not mistaken Tmac was one of the reasons Doc Rivers was fired from orlando. If ainge is stupid enough to make that trade, he probably is, then hed have a conflict with his coach and best player.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Was this a rumor or a made-up trade by a caller? What market was this station?

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

The caller said he saw this rumor on a website (fox?), and he called in to talk about it with the host. I guess it could be a made-up trade if he was lying. However, if I or someone else can come up with a link in the next day or two, it might be a different story. Otherwise, let this thread die.

The radio station is in Salt Lake City, and I got it off the internet through streaming.

8. sup123

sup123 Member

peirce, we dont need another turnover prone person. We need tmac.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I doubt T-Mac would consider Boston as better than Orlando. At least Orlando has the 1 pick. This doesn't make sense.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I seriously doubt such a trade comes to fruition. McGrady never listed Boston as a destination of choice and it doesn't look like a good situation for him to enter. And, considering we're still giving up Francis in this scenario and Orlando is still getting him, that would mean that the Rockets don't want McGrady or prefer Pierce to McGrady. Pierce may be the better complement for a center, but that still doesn't make too much sense.

However, even if/when this trade does not occur, it won't mean the rumor was BS, since they may well be discussing it. And, as an unfortunate side-effect, if we get McGrady and he flounders, someone will say we could have had Pierce but CD was too stupid.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and the question becomes- why would we WANT Pierce over McGrady?

DeAleck, I don't doubt you heard it, but I'd bet the person who told it is making it up, or maybe saw it on some forum.

Think about it- if Orlando would be taking Francis, why wouldn't we deal straight up with them for TMac? Would anyone out there rather have Pierce than McGrady? That way, they're not trading within conference, they get the player they want, we get who we want. Everyone's happy.

That's Boston fans wishful thinking IMO. I remember when Jordan was thinking about coming out of retirement the first time (when he was still MJ), some Bostonians I know really thought he would go there and help rebuild the Celtics of the mid 90s.

12. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Paul Pierce = worst possible fit on Rockets besides Toine and Iverson.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

From McGrady's standpoint, he'd be going from a team with little supporting talent to one with arguably even less supporting talent. Why would he re-sign with the Celts? T-Mac is the one orchestrating this deal, and there's no way he'd choose Boston.

14. Toast

Toast Member

I don't remember seeing any newspaper articles where TMac said he'd be interested in playing for Boston.

Think this is just some Celtic fan dreamcasting.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind Pierce IF we get jiri welsch and/or Mark Blount as well. That way, we can fill in a hole at either the PG or PF/backup C position.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

1. Why would T-Mac want to be in Boston, nothing changes.

2. Orlando isn't dumb enough to trade him in the conference, especially to an ex-Magic coach.

3. Pierce would present the same problems we have with Francis. Pierce is a better shooter, but is a bad passer. He turns it over just as much, and has no experience with big-men.

Rumor or not, I just don't see it happening. ONLY guard I will trade Francis for is T-Mac, not even Pierce.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If we get either one it's a major success in my book.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Probably made up, but so what? Danny is said to like MoT and Boki.

We can talk.

19. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I don't like Pierce. He whines almost as much as Gasol. Takes to many threes too.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If he makes it here you'll learn to love him. He's got game. If he doesn't make it here, hate the guy -- he's a whiner!