1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe in the dark about Brown decision; "Jim" "Buss" committed to "untouchable" Bynum

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 26, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Carl, sometimes you're such a drama queen.

3. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I used to think Woj was a good writer, but he's a huge Kobe jocker (he once wrote an article saying how it right it was for Kobe to be a total jackass towards his teammates), and he writes ridiculously over-the-top hatchet jobs against people he doesn't like. He's lost credibility with me. I'd take this article with a huge grain of salt if I don't reject it altogether.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'll admit Jim Buss seems a bit too "ooo I get to call the shots now so I don't need anyone's opinion" right now but in all honesty, why would he and the Lakers need to consult with Kobe about the coaching vacancy when Kobe has roughly, what, at best 3 seasons left before his wheels completely fall off? It's a big hit to Kobe's ego, sure, but the Lakers as a franchise needs to start a transition into the Post-Kobe era sometime soon before it's too late. It's not like Kobe can come into next season thinking "Oh they're not going to consult with me on the coaching situation? Well, **** them because I'll demand a trade out of LA!" or "I'm going to mail in the remaining years on my contract" because he's not Kobe of old anymore.

5. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

edit it for you.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Maybe they're trying to alienate him so he demands a trade and Lakers can rebuild quickly without losing crowd support.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They could probably get younger, but even at his age, they'd be taking step back. When you have a Kobe, and he has 3-4 years left, you milk it. If it is just 1 more championship that's better than none.

If OKC is willing to trade you Durant, sure, you make that deal. If OKC is willing to trade you Westbrook and Harden, yeah, that's something you think about good and hard. But hard to imagine OKC would offer either of those, plus I'd imagine Kobe has some kidn of say in where he gets traded.

It is kind of weird they didn't involve Kobe... but not too strange. They had already decided they were going to make a hire Kobe didn't like. Because that would have meant Brian Shaw... or maybe Rick Adelman. But they knew they weren't going that direction. So would it have been even worse to say, "Hey, Kobe, what do you think of Mike Brown?" - knowing Kobe wouldn't have a ton of positive stuff to say, and then just ignore his opinion?

The real issue isn't that they didn't consult Kobe, it's that they pointed the ship in this direction from the get-go. Might be the right choice, but then Shaw seems pretty well thought of, and certainly wouldn't be viewed as a controversial choice. Seems liek the smart move would have been to hire Shaw, and try and milk it some more, win a championship. A good result would mean more championship(s) and Jim could say, see, my first coaching move worked out. A bad result and Jim could easily say, tried to go with the status quo, but it's clearly not working, time to move on and do things my way.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Shaw, IMO, was always going to be a Kobe puppet. People think Shaw would have had the players' attention and their respect but, in the end, Kobe probably endorsed the idea because he could still do his Kobe-things with Shaw at the helm. An egomaniac player like Kobe needs an egomaniac coach like Phil to succeed

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The best news here is that Howard is not likely to go to the Lakers.

1 person likes this.
  10. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Is Kobe getting a statue too?!

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "they should have hired Kareem" post. I like it.

12. snc

snc Member

Haven't thought about that but yeah, I bet the coaching change will affect where Howard goes.

Still could go to New York though...

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

In an interview yesterday Mike Brown said that he and Kobe exchanged text. He said Kobe didn't have time to talk on the phone because he was having family time.

That right there told me all I needed to know on how Kobe felt about this hiring.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

Should be fun to watch

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let me get this str8.
    Mike Brown . . . who everyone said let LeBron run over him
    is
    not coming into L.A.
    and it going to run over/Control Kobe?

Rocket River

16. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I agree with what you're saying. However, you're missing the root cause of all this. As stated in the title of the thread, Jim Buss is committed to Bynum. New management seems to be building around Bynum now instead of milking it with Kobe. Buss didn't take Kobe's endorsement on hiring Brian Shaw so it's not surprising Buss didn't consult Kobe on hiring Mike Brown. I agree that utilizing Kobe for another 3 or 4 years would be the best chance at another championship but it doesn't appear that's going to happen. They should of hired Adelman at least..

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Kobe has a no-trade clause but I doubt that'd be a factor. I'm sure Kobe has lost all his faith in this current L.A. teammates and wants to go somewhere else.

18. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Kobe to Chicago. fills their SG hole. give LA Boozer.

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yeah I think you nailed it. Kobe is at that point where they are starting to make decisions regarding the team without him. They got rid of Shaq? They will do whats necessary to win more titles. Including trading Kobe one day if need be. People think it was bad to trade some of our players? They traded SHAQ. They will trade Kobe eventually to get back something one day.

20. snc

snc Member

Despite Gasol's (lack of) impact these playoffs, he is way better than Boozer.