1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA expands area behind the basket

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NL Rocket, Aug 26, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Is it enough? I think 2 cameramen and 2 photographers behind each basket is more than enough so imo it's still way too many. Ask yourself this, how many times do they even use any of the camera shots? Even if they do, I've never heard people liking that angle, even on a dunk or a block the backboard is in the way so..

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While one Paul George like injury is probably enough... that's the only Paul George like injury I've seen... for that reason... basically ever.

So this seems like a non-story to me.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

i know its college but didnt Noel also get hurt due to lack of space under the basket?

agreed that it doesnt happen very often but i never really liked players not having adequate amount of space to land.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I've always hated players falling after break away layups or chase down blocks due to lack of landing space. For one, it allows them down and opposing team can push the tempo while you try to recover, and two, Paul George.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Me too. I think they should get rid of all the people on the baseline. The players safety should come first. I've seen many players trip over photographers. It could end a players career.

1 person likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is the NBA the only sport where players in action can actually run into reporters or even fans?

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

NFL. So many players run into cameramen, cheerleaders, etc.

Soccer, baseball, hockey - those have dedicated borders that extraneous persons are behind.

8. Classic

Classic Member

Bout time

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

The extra baseline cameras have helped determine out of bounds plays when the officials use the Instant Replay rule.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But will they do anything about the area in front of the basket?

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I don't understand why they need camera men anywhere near the basket in the first place anymore. This isn't the 1980s or 1990s where camera men absolutely needed to be up close in order to get a good quality shot. We now have the camera equipment and general technology to get crystal clear videos from almost anywhere on the court.

If I had a say, I would clear at least a 10 foot radius behind the basket to ensure players have ample space to do whatever they need to stay safe.

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

While the Paul George injury is the one one of its severity to happen in that manner, baseline space-related injuries were not invented by Paul George.

Vucevic sprains ankle on cameraman
    Grant Hill trips over cameraman and sprains ankle
    Richardson sprains ankle landing on cameraman
    Scalabrine steps on cameraman, injured
    Spurs' Parker, Hill, Jackson's brush with cameramen; Pop: "A danger waiting to happen".
    Ray Allen injured by cameraman
    Monta Ellis felled by cameraman
    Ron Artest minor injury in collision with cameraman

Giving room to the players to maneuver in one of the highest-trafficked out of bounds areas can only be a good thing.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Ok but what about the stanchion?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I suppose you can't move the stanchion back without moving the basket back, too, since it's the base of the basket.

So they'll have to redesign the basket support to allow for a longer neck without allowing players to rip the basket down again, like they used to. Or support it from the ceiling? which sounds unworkable.

15. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

nope, Noel was not under the basket, was actually near bench

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

That injury to Paul George was completely avoidable. Too bad it always takes an incident like this to correct a problem.

This would have never happened in the Euroleague, I was watching a game between a Greek and Serbian team and the basket stanchion seemed to be way further back than in the NBA and I didn't see any photographers on the baseline taking pictures.

18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

u wot m8

[​IMG]

19. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. bmd

bmd Member

No need to change it. What happened to Paul George was a freak accident that I've never seen before.