1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teens enter Ray Allen's Fla. home through unlocked door in middle of night while wife, children slee

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Aug 17, 2014.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ght-while-wife--children-sleep-135832798.html

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Sounds like Mrs. Shuttlesworth is going to press charges on these teens. While being extremely immature and stupid, they weren't being malicious at all.

After they ran out of the house, the teens told their parents who took them down to the police station to report it and make a statement. They look like a bunch of college kids who made a mistake and tried to do the right thing afterwards.

I don't think Mrs. Shuttlesworth should go forward with pressing charges on them and having it on their record. While it was trespassing and violating her and her family's privacy, maybe she should work out a deal with their parents for them to do community service or help with chores around the house, Karate Kid style.

3. solodolo

solodolo Member

He should've had a shootout with them

4. conquistador#11

in before it's the wife's faults for leaving the door unopened.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You don't just walk into somebody's house on accident.

6. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I forgot to lock the door after I left...my bad.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Unfortunately, "doing the right thing afterwards" doesn't equate to doing the right thing.

Bizarre story.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

entering a private home is in the middle of the night is not a small deal

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Of course she should press charges. What would they have done or stolen if no one had been home?

Although it's a rough way to learn: lock the f###ing door.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Is this a joke?

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Chandler Parsons recruiting tactics are out of control. Special ops.

12. MONON

MONON Member

This was a case of 7 teens doing something because they thought no one was around & they wouldn't get caught. I'm sure they all had dirty undies after the scream. I like that they had the integrity to tell their parents then go to the police & would hope that the Allens take that into consideration.

However, the Allen's privacy, safety & sense of well being have been violated. Nothing can restore that. They're well within their rights to throw the book at the kids.

Kids learn from their mistakes & they will learn from this incident. They're just lucky that one or more of them didn't loose their life.

13. Duncan McDonuts

You're right, it's not a small deal. But, in my opinion, they weren't there to rob the house or harm anybody. They sound like a group of teens who were bored during their summer and thought it would be cool to go into an abandoned house of a famous athlete.

Clearly, they aren't the brightest or most respectful people if they thought it would be a good idea. And I'm not trying to use a "boys will be boys" argument saying that they shouldn't have any type of punishment. I just don't think that it should be something that follows them for the rest of their lives.

Once charges are filed, it's in the state's hands and there's no going back. I feel it's a matter that can be solved between private citizens. The parents sound like they're trying to rectify the situation. I hope the Allens take that into account and try to work with the families to come to an agreeable solution and punishment.

14. Awesome

Awesome Member

Its easy to say its you until someone comes into your house

15. Awesome

Awesome Member

Fixed

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Considering people in Florida shoot guns at each other like it's the Wild West, you would have to be out of your mind to go walking into people's houses in the middle of the night. I guess this gated community didn't have any neighborhood watchmen with itchy trigger fingers?

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

What evidence do you have to support that theory, other than the word of the perpetrators? Are you aware that Sean Taylor's killers were teenagers who thought they were walking into an empty home as well?

(That also occurred in Florida, coincidentally)

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

This was in Florida? Surprised they weren't just shot...

19. Duncan McDonuts

No concrete evidence, I'll admit, but the details of this story don't scream hardened criminal to me.

1. They were seven teenagers who were attending a party next door to this house. They weren't in the area to burglarize a home to begin with.
    2. After Mrs. Allen screamed at them, they scrambled and left the house laughing (according to one article). Sounds like mischievous teenagers to me.
    3. They told their parents who went straight to the police to give statements. While giving their statements, the teens were "crying" and "terrified". Not typical criminal behavior, I'd say.
    4. Nothing was reported stolen.
    5. The teens did not carry a weapon, or at least no article mentions any weapon, making me think that they weren't there to harm anybody.

They still could have stolen something had they been given the opportunity, it's completely possible. The facts I stated above just make me lean towards mischievous teenagers looking for a thrill.

The teens are lucky that they didn't get shot for intruding into someone's home, even if they thought nobody was home. It would be well within Mrs. Allen's rights, too, as is her right to press charges. I just think it's unnecessary to pursue criminal charges, book the teens and send them to jail, have their parents bail them out, and to go through a trial to prosecute them when some form of punishment can be worked out between private citizens.

20. aumate

aumate Member

Unnecessary? They didn't say what race the teens were but i'd assume Caucasian, you can bet your ass they would of pressed charges if the teens were black. You just can't go into someone's house and that's the bottom line.