1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Larry Lightning] Off Season Grades So Far

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketfan21, Jul 30, 2014.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

http://larrylightning.wordpress.com/

I pretty much agree with the analysis. Looks like it's only Eastern Conference grades so far and Western Conference grades are coming sometime this weekend.

Okay, okay... I pretty much agree with his analysis, because it's my analysis. But please check out a fellow longtime Clutchfansers blog! Feedback, criticism, and compliments appreciated.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agree on Bulls.

I think SVG overpaid too and I think he'll be a bad GM.

I would have given Philly a higher score. I like their plan.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Well Mr. Lightning, I appreciate the effort but I have a few criticisms.

Snagging some picks for Kidd while also hiring Hollins has to be worth a "D" for the Nets.

I agree with your grade for the Bulls, but you didn't even mention the Mirotic addition!

Pistons grade could change depending on Greg Monroe's contract.

I am not sure I agree about the Magic grade, you didn't even mention the polarizing Frye signing. The jury will remain out on Aaron Gordon and Elfrid payton, and even short the Ben Gordon contract isn't terrible.

The Wizards absolutely deserve an A-, at least. Gortat's contract is solid value and getting Gooden for the vet min was fantastic. Also, the Humprhies acquisition is totally underrated. Losing Ariza could have spelled doom, but Pierce will fill in nicely and provide a strong leader for the team (especially Otto Porter). I feel like they had the best off-season of anyone not named Cleveland.

Overall, good effort. I look forward to your WC ratings!

4. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Seriously disagree with the above over value of Washington's off season. How anyone can look at the Hornets, Heat, Knicks & Wizards and think they all grade out equally for their off season moves is beyond me. And that Boston and Milwaukee grade out higher makes even less sense. I agree with him that Orlando is adrift and that the crown should go to the Cavs but that's about it. Not even sure I agree that the Nets are an F for this off season.

5. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Heat get a B? Why? All I see is the prolonging of an obvious rebuild as the best case scenario.

They could have capitalized on Wade and Bosh and gotten dimes to the dollar with the same possibility regarding the other productive supporting players. Instead, they double downed on a losing situation by extending honey badger Bosh and one legged Wade to big contracts, resigning key former supporting players, and bloating the payroll by adding Deng, McRoberts, and Granger. Now, they're committed to a non-winning team for at least another 2 seasons. In what Bizzaro world is this considered to be remotely a B grade.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They did fairly well despite losing LBJ.

In fact, they still have a very solid team and I expect them to make a push for the ECF alongside the Bulls and Cavs

Losing LBJ is big but that also means increased roles for Wade and Bosh. Add Deng and McBob in there and they have some good support players. They are no longer favorites to win it all but I think they have a good shot at making lots of noise.

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lmao this has to be a troll post.

Without Lelayup Wade cant rest during the season...he WILL break down. Bosh will be forced to carry that team and outside of him that team isnt good at all.

Granger washed up, Mcroberts is ok but wont make that big a difference.

Ray allen who saved them so many times is also gone. They might make the playoffs simply because the east sucks....but ECF?????

this is why you dont do drugs

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They will "make a push for the ECF" or "Make a lot of noise" the same way the Hawks did last year, by default and being about a .500 team - assuming relative health. Otherwise it's lottery for htem.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I stopped reading at Celtics B+.

10. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

The article was rating the different teams relative to where they were at the prior season's end and not individual player evaluation or relative team strength for the upcoming season as you're doing. Based on that, they're nowhere near being what they once were. Hence, my curiosity towards the B grade. B implies some sort of improvement or at least player retention relative to the other grades but they didn't by anyone's honest opinion.

I agree with you for the most part save for your suggesting them to be ECF material and Bosh, their now best player, passed up a an easily superior opportunity to win to take more money. That should tell you where his mindset's at. Hint, not winning. ECF is not impossible in the crappy east but unlikely.

If you look just at the B grades given, they all either plausibly improved or managed to keep their key player locked up long term (Knicks). Neither applies to the Heat. Losing the best player in the league on any team is easily a D at best depending on your haul for that player if the author would have kept his grading consistent. Maybe the author was misguided in his attempt to be sympathetic towards the greatly reduced Miami "fan" base.

11. CertifiedTroll

That may be unfair. The Celetics got great players in the draft, while retaining assets. I would say the signing of Bradley and Turner for the amounts they gave were high. So I would have given them a B-, but a B+ isn't that farfetched.

12. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Thanks for all the feedback so far. The beauty of this kind of thing is that everyone's opinions differ. After some thought, I agree that the Celtics grade is a bit high, but I stand by my opinion that they're positioning themselves well for a rebuild.

I added my Western Conference grades and once again would appreciate feedback. I was probably a bit more generous to the East compared to West teams, which shows why doing these as separate segments may have been a bad idea. Because obviously, the Western Conference as a whole is much better positioned.

http://larrylightning.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/western-conference-off-season-grades-so-far/

13. vneuro

vneuro Member

The Bucks get an A-?

14. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

ONLY reason is the first part that I put. The fact that a great prospect actually wants to go there. I know it's farfetched, but it could save their franchise. Thanks for reading.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agree on Lakers.

Talk about mediocrity treadmill, wow.

16. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Boston had a good offseason if you look at it from a 5 year rebuild point of view. But Boston may be the 2nd worst team in the NBA next year. A lot of mouths to feed in that backcourt too.

17. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Hornets deserve an A

Added Stephenson who will complement Kemba & MKG very well.

Added Hairston (needed scorer & 3 point shooter)

Added Marvin Williams

Added Vonleh

Also they didn't do what people expected them to do and overpay for Josh McRoberts.

Kemba/Roberts
    Henderson/Neal/Hairston
    Stephenson/MKG
    Williams/Zeller/Vonleh
    Jefferson/Biyombo

This looks like a 50 win team for me.

18. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Looks like David Aldridge agrees with you - http://www.nba.com/2014/news/featur...grades-top-10/index.html?cid=nba_12_twitter_L

Believe this will look more like:
    SG: Stephenson/Henderson/Neal/Hairston
    SF: MKG/Taylor/Henderson

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Offseason, best-to-worst, according to David Aldridge:

1. Cavaliers
    2. Bulls
    3. Hornets
    4. Celtics
    5. Nuggets
    6. Raptors
    7. Mavericks
    8. Grizzlies
    9. Spurs
    10. Knicks
    11. 76ers
    12. Thunder
    13. Wizards
    14. Magic
    15. Nets
    16. Hawks
    17. Suns
    18. Pistons
    19. Bucks
    20. Kings
    21. Clippers
    22. Warriors
    23. Pelicans
    24. Lakers
    25. Jazz
    26. Pacers
    27. Rockets
    28. Heat
    29. Trail Blazers
    30. Timberwolves

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I gotta admit.. Our off season was pretty bad...