1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Palin cleared of wrongdoing in Troopergate affair by herself

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/10/palin_preempts_state_report_cl.php

MATT APUZZO
    AP News

Oct 09, 2008 21:37 EST

Trying to head off a potentially embarrassing state ethics report on GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, campaign officials released their own report Thursday that clears her of any wrongdoing.

Sen. John McCain's running mate is the subject of a legislative investigation into whether she abused her power as governor by firing her public safety commissioner. The commissioner, Walter Monegan, says he was dismissed in July for resisting pressure from Palin's husband, Todd Palin, and numerous top aides to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, Palin's former brother-in-law.

Lawmakers are expected to release their own findings Friday. Campaign officials have yet to see that report — the result of an investigation that began before she was tapped as McCain's running mate — but said the investigation has falsely portrayed a legitimate policy dispute between a governor and her commissioner as something inappropriate.

"The following document will prove Walt Monegan's dismissal was a result of his insubordination and budgetary clashes with Governor Palin and her administration," campaign officials wrote. "Trooper Wooten is a separate issue."

Monegan said Thursday that he doesn't know what to expect from the legislative panel's own report.

"I just hope that the truth is figured out," Monegan told The Associated Press on Thursday. "That the governor did want me to fire him, and I chose to not. You just can't walk up to someone and say, 'I fire you.' He didn't do anything under my watch to result in termination."

Palin's critics say that shows she used her office to settle family affairs.

"When you're the governor, you leave your household hat at home and you become governor," said state Senate President Lyda Green, a Republican who has frequently clashed with Palin.

The campaign's report instead blames former campaign opponent, Andrew Halcro, who has a blog, of conspiring with Wooten to pin Monegan's dismissal on the family's dispute with Wooten. Three days after Monegan was fired, they say, Wooten told his ex-wife, Palin's sister, that: "You guys are going down. Get ready for the show."

Two days after that confrontation, they say, Halcro and Wooten met at a hotel bar in Anchorage for more than three hours — and that evening, Halcro posted the first accusations on his blog that Monegan had been fired because of a vendetta against Wooten by the Palin family.

"It is tragic that a false story hatched by a blogger after drinks with Trooper Wooten led the legislature to allocate over $100,000 of public money to be spent in what has become a politically driven investigation," the 21-page report concludes.

Although the report describes Wooten as a separate issue, the McCain campaign goes into great detail about the "rogue" trooper and his "long history of unstable and erratic behavior." The campaign describes allegations of violence, including threatening Palin's family and shooting his stepson with a stun gun.

The report also includes allegations that Wooten cheated the workers' compensation system. Todd Palin has said he had numerous conversations with government officials about why Wooten was allowed to stay on the job.

"The Palins make no apologies for wanting to protect their family and wanting to bring attention to the injustice of a violent trooper keeping his badge and abusing the workers' compensation system."

But Todd Palin said he never pressured anyone, including his wife.

The McCain campaign says the investigation has become "muddied with innuendo, rumor and partisan politics."

#1 Carl Herrera, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

At least it's harder to shoot your friends in the face when you're hunting on a plane.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

McCain-Palin '08: Why rewrite history when you can rewrite the future!

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Maybe Obama should try that with Ayers, wright and his sex and drug scandal.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ZIR4nTAZaY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ZIR4nTAZaY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Oh, I think his PR team has things covered...

[​IMG]

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Also...just in case it ever comes out....i've never done anything wrong. I did some fact-checking, and it turns out I'm clean. You can have confidence in me.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Though I've never met MadMax and don't know his real name, I can confirm this.

CASE CLOSED!

8. updawg

updawg Member

pure genius

9. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

I wonder if myself and some fellow Clutchans can go out, rob a bank, and then pre-empt any legal consequences by releasing a fact-based report clearing ourselves of any wrongdoing. Yes, not only would that be eminently feasible and impartial, but it would also save taxpayers money by negating the need for a trial. (Oh, btw, we'd be innocent.)

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I would like to take this statement and apply it to myself as well. ;)

11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

OJ is innocent

HE TOLD ME SO

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow. This seems so ridiculous. They must be pretty worried about the upcoming results of the investigation (?)

I don't think many people care about Troopergate, and they (the campaign) should just lay low. They've already said it is a partisan affair.

But by doing yet another semi-ridiculous thing (as if their investigation could possibly turn up wrongdoing by their candidate!), they hurt their credibility further with any undecideds who have even marginal critical abilities.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

via TPM --

After fighting the Trooper-Gate investigation tooth and nail, including refusing to cooperate and challenging the legal authority of the investigation, Sarah Palin is now complaining that she wasn't interviewed by investigators.

MAVRICK!!!

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

ROFLMAO!!!!

15. B-Bob

It worked so well with sorority ombudswomen. :confused:

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

What a disgrace

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think they wanted a vehicle to produce a bunch of allegations against Wooten for fraud, family violence, etc, so they can make him a less sympathetic character. So, they can deny that he had anything to do with the firing and, at the same time, have some voters tell themselves, "well Wooten should have been fired, so I don't blame Palin for pursuing it."

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

one of the republican commentators on msnbc a couple of weeks ago was making the "what would you do?" case

19. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Yeah, I really don't get the campaign's strategy. This seems on par with announcing that you have to turn the page on the economy because if it stays the dominant issue, you'll lose. Or saying this election isn't about issues, it's about character. It's as if they have no understanding of how to work the media and shape a story. Telegraphing your moves and making them this transparent is not a winning strategy (as evidenced by the poll numbers).

20. B-Bob

Again, it reminds me of a taliban newsconference, circa 2002. I don't mean that to be inflamatory, but as hyperbole, hopefully humorous.

"We have not heard of bin Laden. Er, we have heard of him, but he is not here. Um, he is here, but we do not control him. Or perhaps he is our honored guest, or such as a pool cleaner in backyard with chickens and pond."